Orb raw vs jill lite

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Could I get some opinions and pics on these two or any other that is similar in size?HDC? Some real world beamshots woud be great!
I would use rechargables,so run time is less important,It would be a bright show toy!Also can you list where you got it and what you payed?

Thanks,

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I bought both the Raw and the Jil 1.3 Up several months ago, within a couple of weeks of each other.

Quick opinion... The Jil is nice...but the Raw is nicer still. It's brighter (100 lumens!), smaller, and for out and out showing off there's nothing else out there quite like it. Most non-flashaholics don't relate all that well to tactical-looking lights, and so the Raw, with it's sleek, contemporary appearance and ridiculously bright output, anyone I show it to is not only blown away but they always comment that they wouldn't mind at all having one for themselves (I never once got that sort of response with my Jil).

Bottom line.... I sold the Jil (I prefer not to hang on to any shelf queens). And regardless of what other light (or lights) I may be carrying on any given day*, I always make sure that I remember to drop my Raw into my pocket before heading out the door.

*As of Monday my other "must carry", EDC is the Chameleon. I've acquired some pretty nice lights over the past year but for my taste and needs, my new Chammie is the best, and overall most useful, of the bunch (This is of course purely subjective...Depending on their needs and preferences, some fellow flashaholics might choose my McLux III PD, the KL4/FB1 combo, or the VIP over the Chammie).

Hopefully the "Son of Raw" aka "Raw NS" will ship out in the next couple of days. If it compares favorably with its bigger "Dad", then I'll probably start carrying that everyday instead.

Hope that helps...

Dennis Greenbaum :cool:

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the JIL 1.3W to the Raw for EDC, because the JIL seems less likely to turn itself on in your pocket as compared to the Raw. It also seems to be more solidly constructed, tho I can't prove it. I have 2 Raws, but for me they are more of a novelty light because they are so bright, and I don't think one would survive in my pocket. Can't explain - its just a vibe. The JILs are very bright as well, tho, and you would not be disappointed with its output.

Note that some JILs will accept a rechargeable CR2 and some will not, depending on the flavor you get. The 1.3W version will not, whereas some of the other versions will. A little search will give you more of their differences than I can outline herein.

new.jpg

Left to right: Aleph 3 DB917 on a CR2; Orb Raws, T and U bin; and JIL 1.3W Up.

yo!

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
<a-hem> My name is Mark and I am a flashaholic. :grin2: I am recently diagnosed after stumbling across this site while searching for miniMag LED conversions and realizing I had well over a dozen flashlights. Now, a month later I have well over 20. I have always liked LEDs and am also trying to decide between the Orb Raw and the Jil Lite DD (or Intelli) for my next light.
So far, I know the Raw is brighter, but shorter running, available in 2-stage (which I really like and this light really needs), and likes RCR2.
The Jil looks like a better shape (rounded on at least one end) and is HAIII for everyday pocket use and comes with a nice lanyard clip. DD, 1.3, and Intelli options are available. I like the Intelli for the multi levels, not for the more boutiqe price ($105). The no cost optional emitter makes it RCR2 friendly, and Warren at Litemania is helpful.
The Raw 3W comes with RCR2 and charger for ~$40 less than the Intelli with only a CR2 lithium, but is not HAIII or sealed for all weather use.

Decisions, Decisions...

Where do I get a small single cell RCR2 charger anyway?
Has anyone scratched up and/or broken a Raw in everyday use?
How useable is the Jil DD light output? Is it spot or flood?

Thanks for the input and info.

LouRoy

Enlightened
I have both and feel just the opposite of OspreyGuy. The Ubin Raw sits in the drawer and never gets used. It only gets 12-15 minutes of runtime on the rechargeable CR2. It is VERY bright though. If you get the Raw, I would definitely recommend the two stage switch. I got mine before that became available.

I have both the 1.3 w and the DD. The DD is my favorite. It has enough light for most purposes and last 20 hours or more on a CR2 primary battery. I like rechargeables, too, but who needs one with runtime like that. :wow:

The DD also has O-rings and can withstand water--the Raw cannot get wet.

The 1.3w is brighter than the DD, but it only lasts an hour and a half or so. Too little runtime for what I would consider adequate for an EDC.

The Jil Intelli has 3 light levels and can use primary or rechargeable cells. It may just become my favorite, but the DD has been with me longer.

I like the Jil DD so much that I think EVERYONE should have one. Small size, disappears in a pocket, good amount of light, and looooooong runtime. What more can you want? I'm not sure why it has not gotten more attention on the board. Maybe people just don't know about it. Maybe it is not sexy enough, maybe it won't wow your friends, but I would choose it every time, in any scenario, over the Raw.

I gave one to each of my daughters and my wife to keep in their purses. It makes me glad to know that they each have a good light if they ever need it. And the primary lithium should last for many years and won't be dead even if many years pass before it gets used.

So my recommendation, is that you get a Jil DD. I think ALL of you flashaholics should get a Jil DD.

Then get a Raw too. :nana:

Last edited:

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I have both and feel just the opposite of OspreyGuy.

Now you know why there are so many flavors! :grin2:

I must confess that my use for the raw is less as an EDC and more for its incredible response as a showoff light. That's why I always carry more than one light (although when required the Raw is certainly up to the challenge).

I really can't say why, but from the day it arrived I was just not all that blown away by the Jil. Oddly enough, when it comes to small lights, in some ways I'm more impressed with my Fenix L1P (and it's much smaller sibling the new LOP). At least I'm inclined to use them more often. In fact when I'm at home I keep one of the Fenix lights in my shirt pocket,... and around the house and in my shop I tend to reach for those possibly as much as I reach for whichever light happens to be in a pouch on my belt (although I've clearly been favoring the Chammie the past couple of days).

Don't get me wrong, the Jil is a great light in any of its forms...we wouldn't be discussing it this much in this and so many other threads if that weren't the case. But it just didn't ring my chimes in a big way. I imagine that when someone comes into our world of higher-end flashlights for the first time they wonder why the heck are there so many different lights... Well aside from need, taste is a very big factor. And we each have our own preferences... ;)

Dennis Greenbaum :cool:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:
Where do I get a small single cell RCR2 charger anyway? . . . How useable is the Jil DD light output? Is it spot or flood?

charger: do a search for "Nano" charger; one or more vendors at CPF sell them; they aren't costy.

JIL: its a spot with good spill; plenty of light, but being direct drive it diminishes over time (many hours). The 1.3W flavor does not diminish, but conks out after maybe 60 - 75 minutes I think.

peace

onthebeam

Enlightened
I demoed the DD and 1.3 side by side and settled on the 1.3. Love it! As has been said, it disappears in the pocket. . .

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Has anyone used AmiLite Neo T3 Flashlight? It look in the same catagory,good rating?How would this compare?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those with both a Jil DD and 1.3W, how is the brightness comparison? Cone-stuff's site shows the 1.3W makes 5.5X the light of the DD at beam center (about 450lux vs. 80lux). That seems like a huge difference in light, though many people just say the 1.3W is a "bit" brighter. Is the real-world difference that big?...or is it really just a "bit" brighter? I worry if I'll be disappointed at the brightness level of the DD.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Paul6ppc said:
Has anyone used AmiLite Neo T3 Flashlight? It look in the same catagory,good rating?How would this compare?
Yes, I have the Amilite, too. It is the brightest of the bunch, very white and impressive. Easy to turn. Yet, it's quite a bit bigger than the others. Of course, compared to almost anything else, the Amilite is still tiny. But the others are true micros.

HighLight

Enlightened
I have the Orb Raw (2 stage) on my keychain (6 months now). No problems whatsoever other than the raw aluminum showing scratchs. Be aware that you will need to purchase the keychain kit from "flashlightlens.com" to edc it on your keychain. IIRC its a tad bit smaller than the Jillight.