Looking for specific LASER type - pls help!

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hi - I need as much info as I can get please on eye safe lasers that are NOT visible to the naked eye. To be used for night covert illumination of a target/area.

Any info is very much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Tim.:wave:

CrazyFingers

Newly Enlightened
You'd have to be talking about a Class I IR laser, something that by definition could never cause eye damage even with prolonged exposure, since there would be no blink reflex. Of course, the usefulness of this for illuminating anything would be pretty low.
Have you thought of just using IR diodes for illumination instead of a laser?

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Oh sorry - it's up to about 100m range. Yes, class I IR is right. I have one that runs off 2 x AA batteries but it is yet to be tested. Apparently it will fit the bill but I wanted to see what else is out there - here's the place to ask I reckon ;)

Tim.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Interesting duFontaine, thanks. :) Any idea if this is also invisible to naked eye?

I think the laser unit I have here is about 30mW.

Crazy: Yeah, the diodes are OK but the specs ask for a laser and I'm not sure what the beam will look like at 100m compared to an adjustable laser... maybe the laser would be more versatile. I wonder if the LEDs give off much heat/UV or visible light while they're working...?

Thanks for all the replies so far too. :D

Corona

Enlightened
PilaPower said:
I wonder if the LEDs give off much heat
Hmm, why would one worry about that??

Hopefully you're not using this in a tactically "balanced" situation because any time you illuminate a target that may also be using IR imaging capability - you are broadcasting your presence and precise location to the target. ANY IR device will project a signature that is a dead (literally) giveaway. LEDs are a bigger signature than a laser, due to the greatly increased beam angle and correspondingly higher input power to the emitter and resulting IR losses, not just from the beam. A laser has significant advantages in both areas, by virtue of being more easily shielded from off-axis viewing and having a very tiny aperture when viewed head-on. Absolute minimum radiated power is crucial if you are concerned with being discovered...

And IR filtered incandescent sources? You might as well hold a road flare in front of your chest :D