New Guys needs help....

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys this is my first post. Glad I found this place!! I currently have a Surefire G2 with the P60 and P61 bulb. I also have a $50 Led that I forget the name of but it is junk.
I spend as much of my free time as possible in rain forests so I tend to get my lights wet.

I am looking to upgrade to something with longer battery life. My Led lasts 20 hours but tired of carrying 2 lights. I wanted to see what you guys might recommend for something that has an Led with long battery life say 30 lumens or so and a light that has at least 60-120 lumens when I really need to light things up. Not looking to spend a fortune but know it will probably not be a $50 light. Any lights brands -websites etc that you recommend? Small, compact, light weight is good. I tend to do long (15 mile or so hikes).

Thanks in advance.
Chuck

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I say get a HDS EDC. I can go from .2 lumens, to 60. (85 if you wait for the newest one) With runtimes from hundreds of hours to 40 minutes on high. Plus it only takes 1 cr123

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like a nice light 85 would be great! How much is it and where do you suggest I get it from?

When is the New one out?

Thanks,
Chuck

PS: Is that a WRC WRX in your pic?

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
First glance, sound like a job for the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer LUXEON

Good throw at 3000 LUX and regulated for 5 hours of runtime on 4 easy to find AA batteries. $22.95 + shipping

But a few questions. Do you need throw or flood or both? If throw, to what max distance would you like to illuminate.

I'd think you'd want a Super Pak-light if 9V batteries are available in the area.

A FENIX has low runtime and is relatively expensive at $50. (Just posted this because I'm sure someone will say to get one ;) )

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
offroadcmpr said:
I say get a HDS EDC. I can go from .2 lumens, to 60. (85 if you wait for the newest one) With runtimes from hundreds of hours to 40 minutes on high. Plus it only takes 1 cr123
HDS is pro'ly a good choice if you want to spend that much and you have access CR123 batteries. I hear they have a AA tube mod but more $$

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello and Welcome!

Like what CroMAGnet said regarding the Streamlight 4dbA ProPolymer Luxeon light. It's a reasonably priced flashlight that is bright and has a capable throw with decent side spill. I've seen a number of the HDS series and to me they are "short and stubby" therefore I shunned purchasing them, since it did not "feel" right in my hands.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
Well I just did some reading on HDS EDC. I like the 85 but it is $300 kinda on the $$$ high side. It is nice though. Although one site reported some humming or buzzing from the light. I would need it to be silent. I will be looking for animals at night.. I would like to have say a 30 Lumen light for normal use then be able to kick it up to at least 60 to over 100 if possible so both distance is kind of important. I like the fact that the HDS EDC can run at 60 lumens for 75 minutes on one 123. Good stuff if it is true. 3000 lux ? What is that in Lumens?

Oh ya I live in CT but vacation/take trips to Central America when I can.

Thanks,
Chuck

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the Warm Welcome. I am now looking into the Streamlight 4dbA ProPolymer Luxeon light.

Be back.

Chuck

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff if it is true. 3000 lux ? What is that in Lumens?

Oh ya I live in CT but vacation/take trips to Central America when I can.

Thanks,
Chuck
LUX is a measurement of distance the light will illuminate. Lumens is the amount of light coming out of the front.

[edit] HEY! I took this out of a dictionary

lux Pronunciation Key (lks)
n. pl. lux·es or lu·ces (lsz) Abbr. lx

The International System unit of illumination, equal to one lumen per square meter.

:shrug:

One way to convert LUX (which is measured at 1 meter distance) to actual distance is using the inverse square law.

The Square Root of the LUX = Distance in meters that 1 LUX will remain to illuminate. BUT it is more complicated. And we've had many spirited debates here about the perception and detail of 'throw' but just to explain how to calculate LUX to some type of usable distance measurement. That was it. Also I lower the distance number by 10% or 15% because I like more than 1-LUX to see things at a distance :)

BTW 3000 LUX = 54.8 METERS (179.7 feet)

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Herpn said:
Thanks for the Warm Welcome. I am now looking into the Streamlight 4dbA ProPolymer Luxeon light.

Be back.

Chuck
YW! BTW That's a TYPO. It's suppose to be 4AA as in four AA batteries.

Check at flashlightreviews.com for much info :)

T

[edit] Oh, here's something kewl about the complexities of throw in another thread that is actually just starting. :) LINKhttps://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/1267602/

Last edited:

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for clearing up the Lux question. Now I have the G2, is the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon a better light? (big question I know) Is it more white? I like white. The surefire is a bit yellow. I guess it is not as bright? Would it have as much throw?

Chuck

CLHC

Flashaholic
CroMAGnet said:
YW! BTW That's a TYPO. It's suppose to be 4AA as in four AA batteries.

Lo siento! I tend to use that to signify double (db) because that is what it is. Well, the one I have is very bright and white compared to the other "el cheapo" LEDs. . .

Have a good evening!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Herpn said:
Thanks for clearing up the Lux question. Now I have the G2, is the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon a better light? (big question I know) Is it more white? I like white. The surefire is a bit yellow. I guess it is not as bright? Would it have as much throw?

Chuck
Good question, and since I dont have a G2 I will look it up.

Ok ProPoly 4AA It has a bit less LUX to start but since it is regulated it carries the same output for the full 4-5 hours using NiMH rechargable batteries and an hour less on Alkaline.

Surefire F2 Has a bit more Lux for 5 minutes or so and then drops dead, just over an hour. With the Lumen output being dimmer than the ProPoly in about 52 minutes.

So overall, to me the ProPoly looks a bit superior in runtime, which was important to you. You get about 3 hours extra runtime.

[EDIT added] To get more levels and more Lumen output, in a compact, pocket type size, you'll need to spend a bunch more. Pro'ly over $100. Maybe someone will come up with something though but if you want nice quality, dimable and lumens, you'll need over $100

ie. Lioncub, Lionheart, HDS 65, But I don't think they will get all the way to 3000 LUX. maybe close. The Aleph1 can get 3000 LUX and a bit bigger is a cut-down Moded nFlex TriLUX at about 8000 LUX. I love this one when I hike at night. But my fave is the Aleph A19 using an NG1000 TWOK LED with 10ohm 2-level tail.

You could probably get a custom made dimmable 1W or 3W TriLuX (or TriStar or Minitrois) cutdown 1D Maglight that Rund 4AA batteries for a really wicked performing hiking light. Just a bit bigger but definately not too big.

I also recommend the TacTikka Plus headlamp because it will flood the area in front of you which allows tou to use your handheald light on low a lot more. The TacTikka Plus has a stupid long runtime and a flipdown red lense so you dont scare the animals if you want to use it.

party32.gif

Last edited:

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all good stuff here. When I said, I don't think it will be a $50 light I figured much more than that more like $100. or so. I have the sure fire with the P60 (60 Lumens) and the P61 (120 Lumens) I was hoping to find a light that did both when I want to conserve battery life I can use it at a low setting and something that I can turn on full power when needed.

Chuck

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chuck! Just wanted to let you know that many of the sr members of CPF are at the Shot Show in Vegas right now and that is why we are not getting more info for you. I'll be going there tomorrow morning :D

Back on the light thing. This is a tough question and I need more parameters to better answer the question. like....

What is the maximum distance that is important to illuminate.
Size-wise, how big can this light be?
What is the target price range?
What are a few detailed scenario/situational uses for the light. ie. up close scenario, distance scenario etc
Ideal runtime
ideal battery type
... those help a lot

I can think of two lights right now that would work. And any variation of these lights.

One is the Aleph system. Buy the head or reflector that most meets your needs. Buy the battery tube that works for those needs and buy the two level tail with the resistance levels you need to fine tune the output you are looking for. Here is the link

The other one is the cutdown/bored out, custom short magmod either 2C or 2D (cutdown) and dimmable with either a pot or a circuit like the nFlex or FatFlex. You can make it out of 1W LEDs to get less output and maybe longer runtime. Here are a few examples and the people to contact.
Here is a picture of my orange one, next to a bunch of minimags
Here is ModaMag's original Tri and Quad thread
Here is Icarus with one of his Flex models. He has another link of all his mods in his sigline

Tony

carrot

Flashaholic
You might like the Surefire L2, which you can run for many hours on low -- 15 lumens, plenty bright for most tasks -- and then you have a "turbo" high -- 100 lumens -- for about 20-30 minutes, when you really need it. Lots of spill, though, so it might not throw as well as your G2. (So you might want to carry both the G2 and L2.)