Storing flashlights un/loaded?

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
Most if not all of us have more than one light. Some of us really have quite a collection.

The question is do you load them all with batteries when you are storing them (shelf queen). You know, just in case if you do need to use them (like in a blackout) you can always get to them in a jiffy instead of looking for batts and loading them in the dark.

How about the various bodies and heads/bezels? If you have a mix and match sets, do you store them separately or all nicely fitted together? The question arises cos i'm wondering if the O rings dry out if you dont fit the bezels and the bodies together for extended periods?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep batteries in my shelf lights because they get rotation every now and then. The lights in the safe don't get batteries because in the event of a blackout I wouldn't be able to open it anyway..

jbay

Newly Enlightened
I keep batteries in all my lights. If the batteries leak and destroy the light , it's just gives me a good reason to buy a new one. Mind you the most expensive light I own is only about $35 .

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the most part any light I have that cost me over $40 or so uses lithium cells, and I don't recall ever having one of those leak. I have had several less expensive lights leak with alkalines (recently a Streamlight Stylus), but I've always been able to clean the leaked lights up and get them working again. If batteries leak in a modded mag or other cheap light, it won't break my heart (or my wallet). With a few rare exceptions, all of my lights (30+) stay loaded.

-Keith

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
So it seems if its Lithiums, keep it loaded. Otherwise unloaded if you are shelving it as queens. Thanks guys.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
I used to store them loaded until the batteries leaked and ruined my microcassete recorder. I also found that even when not in use, somehow the batteries drain away slowly. (At least it does in my MP3)...

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
jbay said:
Mind you the most expensive light I own is only about $35 .

Gosh, my wallet wishes I had that problem.

The LEAST expensive "serious" light I own is the Dorcy 3D 1W LED (Target) for about $24 with tax. Next up are the Fenix lights at nearly $50 each.

From there to my current personal max of $240 for one of Juan's Mag951s.

Even my homebrew lights - ROPs, Mag85s, etc. are all over $100 (including shipping on parts).

I'm pretty much switching to mostly rechargeable lights and as such, most of my alkaline powered lights are being stored unloaded now, with the formerly loaded batteries in zip loc bags next to the respective lights.

John

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Any light that is not my 1 main light that I use all the time is unloaded. A couple others sitting on the shelf are unloaded, but the batteries are kept next to them, so that way they can be quickly loaded and used, but if they leaked, they wouldn't do any damage.

Luxman

Enlightened
I always keep my lights loaded and monitor/replace the batteries as necessary... Way before leaking..
Lights are of no use empty..

greenLED

Flashaholic
If I know I won't use a light for a while, I remove the batts (even if they're lithium-based batts).

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My UV, red and emergency white lights are stored unloaded with lithium batteries in the box. If I lose light, I have my keychain light, EDC work light and bike lights to light up the joint to load them.

When it comes time to carry the red/UV lights around, load them up and use them for months. Put them away unloaded again for another year or so until it is time to use them. Don't want to trash the color specific lights and have only one Arc AA... don't want to trash it anytime soon so I vote unloaded.

My 2003 model year BB500 R2H and Lambda MicroIlluminator have had a long life but are being retired by a Mediterranean 2AA and Pacific AAA... I'll keep them so I will remember fondly of their years of service. They are not really shelf queens, just trophies of early flashaholism.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is best to store lights unloaded because loaded flashlight will have battery leakage over time. The acid will damage the electronics of the lights rendering it useless.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Keep a few loaded in strategic places but the ones you don't use at least once a month not in a location for immediate use I keep empty with batteries near and near loaded lights so I can load them when needed. I have nimh in a few of my loaded lights because the chance of leakage is minimal.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few unloaded.

As far as accessories go, I have a Plano tackle box for extra parts, o-rings, lenses, optics, manuals, silicone grease and other light related stuff that's small and easy to misplace.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
picard said:
It is best to store lights unloaded because loaded flashlight will have battery leakage over time. The acid will damage the electronics of the lights rendering it useless.

I guess I've just been luck then, because I've had numerous flashlights have leaky alkaline batteries over the years (many of them LED) and never had a light ruined. Some careful cleaning, new batteries, and 10 minutes later the flashlight is working perfectly again.

-Keith

Babo

Newly Enlightened
We were taught to keep the lights unloaded until we intended to use them;
to store lights and batteries seperately in locked containers out
of the reach of children.

I must confess, though, I keep a loaded mini-Mag in a locked
flashlight box on my bedside table. It opens when I punch in
three numbers....They are 3-7-8.

I use special a indoor tactical bulb in my mini-Mag. It has been
designed to not allow the light beam to "spill" enough to illuminate innocent
bystanders. That said, it is still the responsibility of all flashlight owners
to train with their weap.....uh, their light; and to keep in mind, once that
beam is thrown it's too late to call it back. In short, be sure of your
target and what is beyond.

Sincerely,

D. Cheney

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My UV light is unloaded as I use that only for travel. All my other lights are loaded. If there's a blackout, earthquake, etc., I don't have time to grab a light and load it in the dark or near dark. When I'm out of the house, I always have my KeyMate, but inside the house, I don't keep my keys on me, so I have no light on me. I always have a light near me though or near enough that I know how to get to it in the dark if needed. My xenon is loaded for bumps in the night, my car lights are loaded in case I have no light in the car or around me to load the light, and my personal carry lights are loaded as they're always some what near me for immediate use if needed.

Screehopper

Enlightened
I store all of my alkaline flashlights unloaded now. I've already had two alkaline battery leaks in the past 2 months. And the leaking batteries came from flashlights stored indoors and used at least once a week. Argh!

As for my CR123 flashlights, I keep them loaded.