Do dogs watch HDTV?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that NTCS TV signals are just below what most dogs can "see". Considering HDTV is becoming fairly widespread finally, I was wondering how well dogs can see it [HDTV], and if they find it interesting or not.

Thanks,

-john

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I know that cats will chase a fast moving object on an NTSC screen, and I've seen g\clips of dogs getting excited when they see another dog on tv, so I think the answer is yes.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Labrador retriever runs up to the screen and/or barks when he sees another dog on our NTSC television. Sometimes, he watches for several minutes at a time.

Our previous Lab showed much less visual interest, but responded to TV audio. He howled along with the theme song from "Law and Order."

TorchMan

Enlightened
I've seen a golden retriever watch some programs in HD, or at least part of them.

My cat was extemely interested in some birds on an HD show. So much that I became worried that the screen isn't made of glass and could be scratched. I changed the channel for a bit. Sometimes she still seems interested in some shows, nature stuff. She doesn't care for X-Files or Battlestar Galactica. :naughty:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I suspect that many animals that have binocular (stereoscopic) vision can "see" television images, simply because it's the combination of light and movement that grabs them. If you take away movement, for example, how many animals will respond to a still photo of themselves or another animal? I think the only animals who respond to photographs (besides us) are gorillas and other monkeys. Koko immediately comes to mind here.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The final curious fact about a dog's vision is that their visual acuity is sufficient to resolve the European transmission frequency of 625 dots per sectond into a visual image. American television transmits at 525 dots per second, not quite fast enough for the canine eye to see anything other than a screen full of fast moving dots.

I was reading this the other day and was thinking about the much better resolution, and with progressive scan, different dynamics, of HD TV.

It made me curious what people with HD TV and pets have observed.

Me, I'm waiting for more "real" 1080P options. :)

But when I get there, will my dog be watching with me? :)

-john