Pocket Pouch/protector

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanna keep you pocket(able) flashlight nice - and don't have a pouch/case?

Use a "pocket pouch" that's simple and easily available.

The difference between this kind of "pocket pouch" and a regular pouch/case - is that the pocket pouch should still allow easy access to the flashlight - almost as if it were in the pocket directly "bare".

I have a Rigel SkyLite Mini Red/White - continuously variable brightness CPF special flashlight that's not particularly rugged (nor meant to be), and I wanted to carry it with some protection from other things in my pocket....
and I remembered an old photographers' trick of protecting lenses -
by using Socks.
Yes, those things you put on your feet.....

Almost any sock will do -
but to have something that might be considered a bit neater - use tube type socks - that do not have that bend and heel -
just do the regular sock wrap-fold thing (you know there's a word for that, but I just have not been able to think of it for days..... anyone help me out please?) but do it so that the outside of the tube sock faces out after the wrap-fold - that would do pretty well....
to further neaten it one can actually sew up the elastic open end to the toe of the tube sock - then to look neat turn that inside out......
pocktPouch.jpg

The blue sock pouch is inside-out to show my (surprisingly neat) stitching :D
The grey sock pouch is the right way out with a pocket flashlight inside..... (might look neat in the photo but this was one of my worst stitching efforts - but by being inside one does not see it at all)

Yes, they both are bigger/wider than a nice form fitting pouch - but in the pocket one does not really feel the excess - since the material is real soft
and being bigger/wider it is real easy to extract the flashlight - and with a bit of practice, easy to replace the flashlight back in the pouch without having to remove it from the pocket -
so the sock pouch is almost like having the flashlight directly in the pocket "bare" -
but obviously the pocket sock pouch helps protect the light - and as often the case - actually protect the other things in the pocket from the flashlight.......

Those tube socks pictured were the freebies I got from Virgin Airline flights......

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
That's a good idea. I hadn't given the issue much thought, but this would probably be a perfect (and almost free) way to both protect the pocket lights I care about and keep them oriented more comfortably in my pocket. I'll have to keep this in mind the next time I come across an appropriate sock. Thanks for sharing the idea.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vincent,

I like simple, but creative and frugal solutions like the one you've suggested for flashlight pocket carry. Thanks for the idea.

Reminds me of the clip-on eyeglass case I had my wife cut down to size so I could use it to carry a large Swiss Army knife vertically in my front pocket:

Before and after:

eyeglasscase1.jpg

eyeglasscase2.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
parnass wrote: "Reminds me of the clip-on eyeglass case I had my wife cut down to size so I could use it to carry a large Swiss Army knife vertically in my front pocket"

That's neato! - thanks for showing it.

There's another point - so simple that most miss it or take it for granted -
having a lanyard or wrist strap attached makes the flashlight (or knife) easy to locate and extract.........

Sometimes when I know I am going to have to use the item imminently - I will dangle the lanyard out of the pocket so it's right there ready for extraction and use........