Best green laser for about $50 or less ?

bolland98

Newly Enlightened
First off all, I am a total newbie and know little about laser pointers, although I did just spend about two hours reading these forums and learned a lot from that.

But I'd like to know what a good green laser pointer would be for around $40 - $60. I assume it won't be too powerful, which is fine, but I just want one that is well-made, reliable, long-lasting, and as powerful as possible for that price and the other factors taken into consideration.

I see that there are many green laser pointers listed on ebay and many of those are in this price range. Do you think ebay is a good place to buy one to save a little money or am I better off going with one of the specialty sites often referenced here?

I've always thought that lasers were very cool and it was a nice surprise to find this site where so many of you are into them so heavily and know so much about them. I just have a few little key chain red laser pointers that I got off ebay and enjoy those, but would like to get a green on.

I see that my little red one says <1mW which is probably about as weak as they get, but it still works great. So I bet a green one would be really bright and fun to play with. I didn't even know that some were illegal to use outdoors, so I'll have to read up on that more.

Well, I appreciate any recommendations that anyone could make. Thanks! Tony

Last edited:

Taylorf

Enlightened
You could buy a Leadlight on ebay. This is what I did and I had no problems. Leadlight is a pretty good brand and I really it. Just make sure whoever you are buying it from has good feedback.

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
Just spoted this 5mW guy,

http://www.luckyduck.com/lasers/apc.php

$79 at first, Apply apcfor40 at checkout to make the price $40 for $47 including shipping.

Not to thrilled about it being chrome, but for less than $50 I can't complain, it beats the $199 one I was thinking of buying last year.

EDIT:

Forgot, Their shopping cart is a little hosed, and would only work for me in Internet Explorer.

Last edited:

comozo

Enlightened
As a newbie you should know something about DPSS lasers and this is a good place to start, SAMS LASER FAQ.

thecheat

Newly Enlightened
I too have wondered, where can I buy a laser pointer *cough*modifiable*cough cough* for LESS than the lucky ducky, not much has turned up for me, and, I don't want to mess with circut boards, I generally don't have much luck with those, ESPECALLY on the resoldering part. (of course I've used a butane torch on some soooo....)

Is there anywhere to get a greenie for less than 47.50?

bolland98

Newly Enlightened
DCFluX said:
Just spoted this 5mW guy,

http://www.luckyduck.com/lasers/apc.php

$79 at first, Apply apcfor40 at checkout to make the price $40 for $47 including shipping.

Not to thrilled about it being chrome, but for less than $50 I can't complain, it beats the $199 one I was thinking of buying last year.

Thanks, I ordered one of these and just received it. It's lots of fun and I was impressed that you really can see the beam in the dark. I may go with a more powerful one in the future, but this one is fun for me for now.

dr_lava

Enlightened
My luckyduck's crystal wasn't aligned too well at first, but after an alignment and the constant current mod I get a steady 20mW, so not too shabby.

I really don't expect you'll get a quality green pointer for anything less than 47.50, considering the parts alone are worth more than that. You are benefitting quite a bit from mass production at that price. Here are some estimates from component sales I have seen or expect:

replacement diode: $25
replacement crystal: $30 (in pairs)
4 glass lenses: $6
IR filter: $.50
Casing, brass barrel, PCB parts, feedback assembly: $6

total: $67.50

thecheat

Newly Enlightened
I do want to know however, where do these people buy there lasers? I know that some of the sellers on ebay are MAKING profit off of lasers when they sell them for only 40 with s/h included, otherwise they would've stopped selling. (I'm talking about the new ones, not used)

PS: and a side thought, why doesn't the CPF link work, or is that just my computer?