Mini-Mags at Wal-mart for $6.00

jwl

Enlightened
Just got back from Wal-mart and they have the Mini-Mags for $6 and they include the holster and an extra package of two bulbs, for those that would leave the mini as an incandescent. Also have plenty of Nite-ize but I didn't catch the price.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wal*Mart doesn't usually open stores in metropolitan cities, especially if they're strong union cities or have "liveable wage" requirements. You'll either have to go over the river or onto the Island to find a Wal*Mart in your area. It looks like there might be all of one store in Westchester County.

carrot said:
Aww, there are no Walmarts in NYC.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
lol, there's 7 Wal-Marts within 10 miles of my house near Okla City. Ahhh the joys of living in retail store purgatory :)

Not sure a 2AA Maglite is even worth $6, however :(

Metro

Newly Enlightened
Mini-Mags at 6 bucks?!:wow: Still over priced!!:laughing:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a $6 MM and a $3 NI 2LED drop in, that'll be weather/crush/smack/drop/etc-proof, for a total of <$10, 11hrs to 50% brightness, is a great value.
Also, maybe the nay sayers want to offer up where they are buying all of their cheap, reliable, and readily available host bodies for literally hundreds and hundreds of modifiactions? :poke:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
But where do they sell the Nite-Ize LED module for $3? The cheapest place that I have heard of has been Wal*Mart at $4.92, though the better bargain for those who might also want the switch is for people who are near the Fry's chain of stores where they sell the switch/module combo for $7.49.

Agree thought that this is a quality combination that will end up being cheaper and brighter than either a a comparable AA 4LED Dorcy, or a MiniMag with one of the Opalec drop-ins.

Omega Man said:
I think a $6 MM and a $3 NI 2LED drop in, that'll be weather/crush/smack/drop/etc-proof, for a total of <$10, 11hrs to 50% brightness, is a great value.
Also, maybe the nay sayers want to offer up where they are buying all of their cheap, reliable, and readily available host bodies for literally hundreds and hundreds of modifiactions? :poke:

Yooper

Enlightened
I quickly grew tiresome of modding minimags after I modded three of the four that were already in my house. One of them is still unreliable because the switch in the minimag is intermittent. Wondering why I was still unhappy with the other two modded lights, even though they were nice and bright and the batteries now last much longer, I finally came to realize that deep down I really hate minimags and their stupid "twist to loosen" switch. I had been about to drop $60 on a really nice drop in sandwich and a Kroll switch for the fourth one, then came to my senses and bought a Fenix L2P instead, which I enjoy immensely.

Sorry to be a naysayer. To each his own!

Going down to my workbench now to build a ROP in my new Mag 6C that arrived today...I've the got the C-body Mag modding bug at the moment. :D

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Grn and Brighteyes, $5 is right! That's what I get for thinking, typing, and listening to the radio at the same time. But still for $10-$12...
I'm not a fan of the twist-on either, and the NI tailcap isn't any good, I think it's too easy to push on, and feels very cheap. That's why I'm hoping the NI IQ Switch will be a good buy. I want to see 3 brightness levels on my TLE5.

I just like how a MM can be a light you can pick up anywhere, mod it for $5+, and not worry about babying it.

Metro

Newly Enlightened
So for 12-15 bucks? You've got a better light still in a mini-mag body which I find to be junk because of the twist on head. It could be free and I still would'nt want to carry it.

I can afford the extra 30 or 40 bucks for a Fenix L2P.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then you should avoid purchasing this item and spend the $40 or whatever for your Chinese import. You should probably also stop trolling this thread, I don't see anyone here trying to impose their opinions upon you, perhaps you should do the same?.

Metro said:
So for 12-15 bucks? You've got a better light still in a mini-mag body which I find too be junk because of the twist on head. It could be free and I still would'nt want to carry it.

I can afford the extra 30 or 40 bucks for a Feix L2P.

carrot

Flashaholic
Metro said:
It could be free and I still would'nt want to carry it.
Why not? On days I *know* I'll need a light and might want to lend one out, I'll pop a Minimag + Nite Ize in my bag.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always like MM's, but now that I've seen the "light" I've discovered how bad the performance is. I bought some of the MJLED's last year so had to buy a couple of MM's to go with them. Then I bought some SMJLED's and had to buy more MM's. Fortunately I was at the right timing to buy them for $6.22 at Target. I won't need to buy any more unless I find a RED one.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the output from that light exceed that from the Nite-Ize module?
One of the better selling points of this combination it that the output level is far better than what one would get from the Opalec Newbeam module (rated 5 stars at Flashlightreviews), and also has more output than the comparable 2AA Dorcy that is equipped with 4 LEDs.

So why is the light from lighthound a better deal?

spyderknut said:
A 2AA 8 LED light from lighthound is a better deal IMO.

spyderknut

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Does the output from that light exceed that from the Nite-Ize module?
One of the better selling points of this combination it that the output level is far better than what one would get from the Opalec Newbeam module (rated 5 stars at Flashlightreviews), and also has more output than the comparable 2AA Dorcy that is equipped with 4 LEDs.

So why is the light from lighthound a better deal?
I am just underwhelmed with the Nite-Ize upgrade. I think the 8 LED light is substantially brighter with better flood and throw (subjectively, no runtime info) for half the price of a MM + Nite-ize.