Those tunes that get stuck in your head

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Those tunes that keep playing over and over in your head, "ear worms" or as Craig has appropriately dubbed them, "brain worms." There's no cure yet but now some researchers have learned more about how they happen. Turns out they linger in your auditory complex even after the audio is turned off from the eardrums...

Now if I can only get the Pink Panther theme out of my head...
:laughing:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I remember Popcorn! It was one of the first electronic pop tunes that made it on to the charts. It got it's big break when ABC news used it as background music for a story on electronic scoring systems for the Olympics, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, it's repetitive melody definitely ranks it as an ear worm!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
nothing like raindrops keep falling on my head..........
used to play in elevators all the time.... the time..... the time...... the time..
I think I have popcorn on a 45 rpm record somewhere.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
For whatever reason, for me it is the ice cream man song, the one the guy plays while driving around. I can't remember how it goes, but if I hear it it will stick in my head for days.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry, be happy.

You light up my life.

The theme from the Andy Griffith Show.

Cat's in the craddle.

Happy birthday to you.

and...

A drumroll, please...

BAD, BAD, LEROY BROWN!

(One of the college radio stations in the Rochester, NY area used to play, every morning, The Back Of The Mind Cut. Truely sadistic)
:xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun: :xyxgun:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
chmsam said:
The theme from the Andy Griffith Show.

Happy birthday to you.

These are two of the most favorite tunes of parrots and cockatiels also. Easy to learn and remember, hard to forget even when you want to!
:laughing:

dim

Enlightened
"Black Dog" has been stuck in my head for about 35 years.

dim

CLHC

Flashaholic
For some reason or another, it's that song from Beauty and the Beast. . ."All I Ask of You"

Don't know how or when but I hear it loud and clear, especially during the evenings when I fall asleep. . .

TorchMan

Enlightened
Ear worms? Now this thread has caused a song to be stuck in my head! It's Hey You from Pink Floyd. "And the worms ate into his brain..."

At least it's not one of those songs that get stuck in your head, but you don't even like the song. Hate it when that happens!

Edit: After reading someone's sig line, I now have an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation stuck in my head. Picard's on this planet with an alien starship captain, and they can't communicate... :devil:

Last edited:

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
I Want Chicken
I Want Liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please Deliver

(chorus, same tune, one "Meow" per syllable above)
Meow Meow Meow Meow... ad nauseam.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Among fairly recent songs, One Week by the Barenaked Ladies and Stand by R.E.M. tend to stick in my head for a bit too long after hearing them.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't think of any right now, as my brain has no leftover capacity for such things at all at the moment. But it's usually now a song from one of the kids TV shows or albums, since I listen to no grown up music and watch no grown up TV anymore...

Some of those kid songs are enough to cause brain damage in adults...

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I Only Had a Brain goes through my head many times each day -- both because of myself and my co-workers, but that's another story.

And here are a few to whistle or hum all day today:

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

I love you, you love me...

The theme from Gilligan's Island.

The theme from Law & Order, and even the "da dun" noise they use.

The theme from the **** Van Dyke show.

The theme from I Love Lucy.

The theme from Get Smart.

And, ta da! The theme from The Tonight Show from the Carson era.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of Howard Stern songs get stuck in my head... most can't be said out loud and cause me to start to "half sing" the song before I realize it's not acceptable