what is your favorite security software?

Flashlight Enthusiast
For spyware, I like CounterSpy, but I also use many others including Spysweeper. Due to the many kinds of spyware, I use multiple protection.

For Firewall, I like Zonealarm Pro.

For Virus Scanner, I use Mcafee but I hate it. Eventually I plan to upgrade this area.

What do you all prefer and/or use?

carrot

Flashaholic
Linux. ;)

Security through obscurity. Linux hasn't really caught on with crackers and script kiddies.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've just kicked out Mcafee on one of my machines after a year of having a machine that was crippled because it was such a pig. I'm now running Zonealarm's Internet Suite which includes their firewall, virus scanner, popup blocker, email scanner, coffeemaker, etc. It seems to be MUCH lighter on it's feet and much less intrusive.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
Linux. ;)

Security through obscurity. Linux hasn't really caught on with crackers and script kiddies.

Good advice! I know a lot of folks that swear by Linux.

carrot

Flashaholic
357 said:
Good advice! I know a lot of folks that swear by Linux.
Unlike some people who believe Linux is cracker-proof (not hacker... hackers *code* Linux)... I don't feel I am invulnerable... but I certainly don't have any of the adware, spyware, or malware to worry about that are constantly being released for public consumption. Makes for a happier computing experience, when you don't have to reformat every few months... or be extra careful. I've clicked a lot of those AIM worm links by accident recently... still safe. :D

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
For virusscanning I use AVG Free from Grisoft. Ran it next to Norton for a while to compare, but AVG found a lot more virusses than norton. Not to mention that AVG consumes a lot less system resources...

So its free, and works better than some of the big names... hard to beat combo IMHO

shaman

Newly Enlightened
OpenBSD.

The homepage says it all...

"Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8 years!"

On a side note, security software is relational to the operating system your on. The best defense it a good offense, and the best offense one can have is to layer your security. Try not to have a single point a failure in your security. Have a firewall appliance/router before your PC, that way your PC is not taking the direct attacks at first. Have a primary antivirus, and use a secondary to use as a double check on occasions (there are a couple of CD bootable antivirus that do not require installation). Always keep up to date (as much as possible) on updates (O.S. , antivirus, etc). Lastly, come to terms with this... Security it a journey, not a destination... And It is not a question of "if" I get attacked but "when" I get attacked.

Of course the above is merely a very brief intro (for those unaware). The above merely (exponentially) increases for businesses and organizations.

Windows:
Firewall: Service pack 2, IPSEC policy tweak.
AntiVirus: Computer Associates eTrust, ClamAV, AVG
Spyware: Spybot Search and Destroy

Linux:
Firewall: iptables or ipchains
Antivirus: ClamAV
Spyware: Mozilla and Firefox :)

OpenBSD:
Firewall: pf
Antivirus: ClamAV
Spyware: Mozilla and Firefox :)

Sincerely,

Shaman

h_nu

Enlightened
In Windows I use Kerio firewall and AVG Free anti-virus and I am behind a router. I also never access the Internet as an administrator except to go to Windows Update and then get off the Internet. I only surf as a restricted user.

I monitor installs with Regshot and Incntrl5.

I frequently use Linux (mostly from LiveCD's but I do have Debian on one hard drive) for web access and don't always mount the hard drive.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Outpost, NOD32 and a mess of freebies for spyware.

Mostly I rely on my own common sense and the fact that no one uses this box but me.

nickz

Enlightened
I am currently using an old 900mhz P3 as my firewall. It is currently running smoothwall which I really like. I have 1 windows machine for gaming running nod 32, spyware gaurd, spyware blaster (the two work together well), sygate pf, and and anti trojan (can't remember which one off hand and don't feel like booting up to see). Other than that, I have made the switch to BSD and I have been very hapy with that so far that I am in the process of now upgrading my windows file server to BSD.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use SpywareBlaster, Microsoft anti-spyware beta, AdAware, Spybot S&D, and McAfee anti-virus.

I'm not an expert though because I've never gotten any spyware, so I don't know if any of the above works.

I have managed to get a virus on my hard drive a few times, but McAfee always spotted it and eliminated it before I was infected.

I don't see anything wrong with McAfee, but I only install the VirusScan.

Lately my only firewall is the one built into XP. I had used ZoneAlarm for many years because earlier versions of NT didn't have one built in. But I got tired of screwing around with it so it's gone now. I make sure the troublesome services, like Messenger Service, are shut down, but I guess the latest XP service pack does that anyway.

I generally go on the internet as a non-admin user. That can be a hassle though, especially for non-geek users.

Yeah, life would be simpler if I used a different OS, but it must be so boring :)

SFR

Newly Enlightened
For XP at work: Ad-Aware, Eraser (for secure file deletion), MS Anti-spyware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and ClamWin (AVG and avast! on others). I have a separate folder on my Start button named "Security" for all these programs.

For my iBook at home: nothing (But I'm considering re-downloading ClamXAV since the very first trojan/virus/worm has just been identified for OS X)