Imalent        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: A Classic Revisited - Dorcy 1AAA

Default Re: A Classic Revisited - Dorcy 1AAA

My mother-in-law, uncle, and son still use the old Dorcy's I got them about 5 or 6 years ago. My wife got one, too, but I'd be surprised if she could locate it. Mine is mostly a battery drainer.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
    News Flash! I was in Wal-Mart this morning and they have started stocking the Ray-o-Vac version of the 1AAA dorcy. They are $3.oo.
    Is the Ray O Vac version like the 1st and 2nd generation Dorcy?

No Beacon, the ROV is basically the same dimensions but that's all. It is a smooth annodize with only one rubber band around the barrel. The flat plastic lens has a plastic reflector and the LED seems to sit half in half out of it. You have to twist the bezel to turn it on and off like a small Maglite. The rear end has no switch but there is a knurled area with a lanyard post in the center. It comes with your generic Chinese key chain attachment and a ROV battery. Looks like a 5mm. source. I didn't get it (yet) as I have the two Dorcy's but.........
    Skyeye
    "Pay no atttention to that man behind the curtain, he's just a Flashaholic!"

For various and sundry reasons I need a Walmart run.

Some fishing items, look at knives and lights etc.

Rayovac version of Dorcy is at least worth a look.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

There was a review of the rayovac 1AAA in the past. I don't remember much about the review but I am *thinking* it equated it with getting what you paid for as the output wasn't anything to write home about. I once thought about buying one for the driver to put in another light.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Well, you guessed it, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided after dinner to go back to WM and get one of the ROV 1AAA's. Just as when I got the Dorcy from Big Junks yesterday, the WM ROV was about sold out! This morning at around 8AM there were at least 30 of them on the blister pole. Tonight there was only two left a blue and a bronze one. I chose the bronze. This little light is about as well made as the Dorcy and I was surprised at the compactness of the beam compared to the Dorcy. It is much tighter and perhaps a little brighter as an effect. In the distance in my dark yard, at about 20 ft., they both illuminated objects fairly well but the ROV had a better throw. I would say that both are acceptable for a throw down key chain or lanyard light. Here's the pair for comparison and a washing machine at 3ft. beam shot (ROV is on the right).

Skyeye

*Mammoth Killer*

The ROV is a decent light however no where near as versatile as the Dorcy. I was excited at first to see an alternative after they stopped offering the Dorcy so I bought a few to play with. The best feature to me of the Dorcy was the ability to easily access the circuit and reflector/optic. This ROV was impossible to take apart and I eventually had to cut mine open with a pipe cutter just to see how it was made.

I quickly lost interest as the ROV is simply not as fun to play around with from a modding standpoint. My advice is to buy the Dorcy if you can find them as they seem to be growing more rare these days.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

Flashaholic*

I hope I'm not breaking any forums rules since I posted this information in another thread already, but today I saw half a dozen or so gen3/4 (don't know how to tell the difference) Dorcy AAAs at a Big Lots in the Memphis area (don't know if Big Lots have the same inventory across the country or if it's a regional thing). They were priced at $4.50 each.

Just in case anyone's interested.
    Last edited by flatline; 07-25-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added price

I agree with prior comments about the rev 3 giving more definition, or really to put it another way I find it ideal for close-up work because of the even hotspot and roaming around without disturbing others thanks to minimal sidespill. Not too bad for reading either. I'd not want it as my only flashlight but instead of being like all the others but less bright, it serves it's own niche. I find the beam very complimentary to night navigation because the pale evened-out hotspot doesn't decrease my night vision as much as with most light, that without the odd hue and lack of color differentiation if I were to use red light instead. Result is the light comes on only when needed, and either way I retain further peripheral vision. Not the best AAA for an EDC but good in familiar surroundings where you don't want to disturb others.

Buttrock Re: A Classic Revisited - Dorcy 1AAA

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop
    My advice is to buy the Dorcy if you can find them as they seem to be growing more rare these days.
    I've seen a few on the racks at Big W but AFAIK they're the all aluminium version, after reading your Dorcy AAA modding threads I'll likely pick up one (or a dozen)
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

*Mammoth Killer*

My mods to this light were one of many more by other members however my favorite was changing the bezel out with a spare tailcap from a 2nd light. This made the light the same diameter on both ends and with a little bit of file work it worked perfectly.

I have swapped out the 5mm with all kinds of different emitters and basically spent many happy hours tinkering with this cheap light. There were some very in depth threads discussing this circuit with some modding it to be a battery sipper running for days where others powered 3 watt Luxeons with plenty of performance.

I still have probably 7 loose circuits laying around that I still tinker with and at least a dozen bodies and reflectors. The most interesting thread I can remember was a member who actually removed all the components and fashioned his own smaller light engine by re-positioning all of the parts into a nice smaller package.

The last mod I did with this light was using a Mag luxeon pill I got on sale for 5 dollars. A little file work and it was small enough to slide right into the end of the Dorcy body and was the same length as the factory circuit. It actually conducted heat better than in a Mag host and when powered with a 10440 Li/Ion it made some big light.....runtime was crappy but it was fun to tinker with.

This thread has actually got me going through all of my spare parts again.....I still find many uses for this light.

Thumbs up Re: A Classic Revisited - Dorcy 1AAA

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    The ROV is a decent light however no where near as versatile as the Dorcy.
    WoW! thanks guys for reviving this thread -
    sorry I wasn't paying attention.

But I did review that Ray-O-Vac 1AAA flashlight a while back and did direct comparisons with the Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Spot version -

Ray-O-Vac 1AAA LED Review

I remember your early review and pics of the Dorcy, Vincent. That was probably one of your first reviews. Good stuff.

Geoff

I'll have to search the Dorcy mods to find the one that makes it a runtime champ. Anyone recall the approx lumens it had for it to run for days?

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    I'll have to search the Dorcy mods to find the one that makes it a runtime champ. Anyone recall the approx lumens it had for it to run for days?
    Not sure but efficiency was reportedly around 105% Dorcy 1AAA Gen 3/4 circuit data

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    This thread has actually got me going through all of my spare parts again.....I still find many uses for this light.
    Unfortunately I can't find any use for incandescent version which is apparently all they stock from Dorcy in that form factor around here
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

*Mammoth Killer*

I started a thread some time back asking if anyone knew where the little Dorcy had gone. It always sold like crazy at my local Wal-Mart and suddenly one day they never re-stocked the empty pegs. It seemed to simply vanish overnight and I have yet to find another in any Wal-Mart I visit.

For 5 dollars I would buy as many as I could find simply to have the circuits and if done correctly the host is not that bad either. The only real weak link I can remember on this light was the very weak keychain ring on the tailcap.

Check some of the links below for some of the fun mods on this light...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=130749

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=76351

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=84291

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84658

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=84660

Anyone here have Doug S's Stage 2 mod. I just read about it and it sounds impressive way back then he had a 1xAAA light that could do well over 70 hours on 1 AAA cell on low/moon mode.

Here's an interesting comparison to the Dorcy and the ROV. I got this from my Goodwill store this morning for $1.00. It's a Radio Shack ican keychain light. It's made with Maglite quality and has a tiny grain of wheat bulb housed in a focusing reflector. It's not bright but it does have a neat twister tail switch and a lanyard/keychain hole. It is brand new. I smell a possible MOD! I found out something else, the little key chain fob is actually a capsule that when unscrewed, reveals a spare bulb!

Last edited by Skyeye; 07-28-2009 at 07:15 PM.
    Skyeye

Arrow Re: A Classic Revisited - Dorcy 1AAA

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    Anyone here have Doug S's Stage 2 mod. I just read about it and it sounds impressive way back then he had a 1xAAA light that could do well over 70 hours on 1 AAA cell on low/moon mode.
    I (obviously) have one each of Doug S's stage 1 and stage 2 mods.

For those interested here are the threads -

Dorcy 1AAA gen4 Mods

Dorcy 1AAA gen4 - Doug S Stage 2 Mod

From Doug S's post #33 -
    thread on the technical aspects of these mods:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...20#post1815020
    thread with the ''how to do it'':
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...96#post1815196

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456