SC3 Spares Carrier Cracking

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings,

I've got 3 SC3 spares carriers 1-3 years old. They are all developing cracks in the domes. Star patterns radiating outward. Is this happening to anybody else?

I also have a SC1 that is starting to fissure all over. When you hold it up to the light you can see cracks running through it.

The carriers are not subject to extreme heat or cold, that is I don't leave them in my truck during the summers or winters.

I wonder if altitude changes and there resulting pressure differentials damage the carriers. My old job used to get me to work sites around the 10,000' level. I live at sea level.

kelmo

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an SC3 carrier with a star crack right on the dome. I think it is caused by the A2 lamp I keep in it. I noticed that it held it just a little too tight, so I sanded the lamp holder a little and the fit is fine now. :)

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine are not deteriorating in that way. I have an SC1, SC2 and SC3.

They are not vented and your altitude issue could well be a factor, although I have not heard of this before. That is a fairly significant pressure change.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I'd tell Surefire about it and see if you can get replacements. This is an issue they might like to know about.

cfb

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked my SC1, SC2, and SC3 and all are in excellent condition, and all of them are well over a year old.

-Keith

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a star crack in the dome of my SC3. In fact, I witnessed it happen. I was screwing on the lid with a full load of batteries and a lamp (the A2 lamp for which it is intended) and it cracked. I didn't screw it down hard at all, just snug. I was being careful not to damage the lamp.

The end of the lamp can put a very high point pressure on the case material.

Scott