Sonic Teenage Deterrent

SolarFlare

Enlightened
"The Sonic Teenager Deterrent, nicknamed the mosquito, because of its sound, emits a high-pitched noise audible apparently only to those under 20."
Saw the report on this yesterday, I want a personal one :crackup: Well I can't hear the thing when they played it on the telly :shrug:

Here and here also, can't find a link with an audio example :thumbsdow sorry.

Safety1st

Enlightened
En-route home from Scotland today....we had the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 playing...and the inventor was being interviewed...

"Sounds" a great idea...:wow:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just build a 20Khz oscillator with a 555, and feed it into an audio amp, and hit some high power tweeters with it. Total cost, $20.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear all those high pitched noises, yet I am 28 and a head banger who cant find many walkmans that go loud enough or head phones or ear buds that will last more than a few months. I hear the pitch of the tv or any crt, those bug repelliants, they peep, peep, peep. The high pitch squeal of my computer when its thinking and that of a camera flash or the industrial inverters at work. I can walk through the garage and hear when someone left an inverter on.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what frequency it works at. I just tried listening to a 20kHz sine wave (NCH Tone Generator) and I didn't hear it at all. I could hear a square wave or sawtooth however and it does sound annoying but I could just ignore it. It dosen't hurt at all but my computer speakers aren't that powerful anyway.

Time to break out my class A amplifier and borrow my friends PA horn he uses for the fire engine siren he has on his truck?

There are some "noisemakers" I can get access to that are either annoying or strong enough to damage a person's hearing. Let's see; a Wheelock fire alarm rated 90db at 10', the 100 watt emergency vehicle siren my friend owns, some ice cream truck music with horns/whistles blowing and a girl shouting "HELLO!" at the beginning, and an air horn from a diesel locomotive.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
16Khz apparently :shrug: , I think they'd be useul as an "in car alarm" too as most joy riders tend to be kids :grin2:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Interesting web site. I am 18, so I guess I count as a teenager. I could hear all the way up to 16 khz. I have a slight headache now. It might be from it. So I think if could work. It would be interesting to try it out though.

Navck

Enlightened
16hz feels like a ton of bass just hit my ear drums at high frequency (Oxymoron! But it really feels like a REALLY heavy vibration at high frequencys)
No effect besides having the weirdest sound I've ever heard

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I can hear 16khz at around -33. At -18, its just about as loud as what comes from the back of my TV when it is running with the volume turned down.

At 0, it is still bearable for me. I don't have anything right now to reproduce it at 120db which is definately going to be painful (Isn't that the threshold of pain?)

I remember reading the US military was also using sound as a non-leathal riot control. I think the device they made was named the "Silent Scream". It can produce a sound at a certain frequency and loud enough to cause certain physical effects on whatever it is aimed at. The sound apparently is a child screaming played backwards.

http://www.google.com/search?client...ial_s&hl=en&q=Sonic+weapon&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.earthisland.org/project/newsPage2.cfm?newsID=634&pageID=177&subSiteID=44
http://www.atcsd.com/gov_sol.html
http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?noframes;read=78095

I've read about using sound as a weapon before and have heard that if you can produce 20hz or below at a loud enough SPL, it would have numerous physical effects. I was told from one source that ~7hz would give people a concussion while another source says 7hz is the "brown note" frequency where it would cause an irregular rhythem and cause an invidual to loose control of bodly functions.

Last edited: