"Once you had HAIII black, there's no going back."

tron3

Banned
In case you are unfamiliar with the types of coating. "Type II" is that shiny black finish like you see on maglites. It sits on top of the metal and is ok protection for nicks, and light scratch protection. The depth of the coating is what helps protect the light. The shiny aspect is probably more for marketing appeal.

HAIII, as I have read, actually penetrates the metal as well as sits on top to a degree. Again, subject to how much they put, and how deep it sinks, etc. It is a dull finish.

But now that I have a few HAIII lights, like my Fenix's and Inova X3, I really don't want any new lights without it!

Wouldn't it be great if someone offered the service of finishing flashlights in HAIII? Anyone? Anyone?

Last edited:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Once you go HAIII black, there's no going back."

I don't know about that...I have had many lights in HAIII black. a few years ago I found that I actually like HAIII natual more and now only have one HAIII black at the moment.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, after my first HAIII natural MM, I was ruined for life. Now begins the quest to coat everything in HAIII natural :devil: .

...now where did the cat go :p

-DF

greenLED

Flashaholic

There is no such thing as HAII. There's "Type II" anodizing (which is the shiny coat minimags get), and "Type III" anodizing (aka "hard anodizing" or "HA", which is what SF, Arc, and a few others get). Both types of anodizing coat the surface of the aluminum, HA is harder.

I have to agree, black HA is really nice. Although natural HA is also very pretty and shows less tint variation than the black.

tron3

Banned

But the important thing is I learned something today. There is a HAIII natural. I still would like to see an example of it. Pics anyone?

But I'd go with either over "Type II" in a pinch. :)

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah,

You are relatively new.

Look at most of the Surefires, most of the ARCs that were ever made, the longbow.

Many lights and most of the best lights are in natural.

paulr

Flashaholic

"Natural" means there's no dye added to the coating, but the coating itself takes on a range of colors ranging from medium gray (looks nice) to olive-drab-ish green-gray (looks pseudo-military, good if you like that style, not so good if you don't). It's hard to get a batch of HA natural to come out consistent and if you look closely at an Arc or Surefire you'll often see slight color mismatches between different parts of the light. It's not a big deal.

I agonized for a while whether to request my Spy 005 in natural or black, but the description of the natural version looking olive drab made me choose black. The military look fits Surefire just fine but I wanted my Spy to look more James Bondish. If the natural version was neutral gray I probably would have chosen it.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Both forms of anodizing actually grow into the aluminum as well as coat it. Also, just because it's HA3/Type3/HCA doesn't mean it's mil-spec (as too many mfr's claim). The thickness of the anodizing is customer chosen (and thus can be thinner than a Type2 anodize). It's cheaper the thinner it is as it takes less time and the anodizer gets more through-put. There's also 3 methods for HA3, tho I have no clue what method each mfr uses (or if even they know).

greenLED

Flashaholic

tron3 said:
But the important thing is I learned something today. There is a HAIII natural.

...it si either "HA", or
"Type III" anodizing,
and not "HAIII".

Now you can say you learned 2 things today. ;)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

FUNNY title!! :laughing::laughing: For those who don't catch the reference, Google the phrase "once you've had black."

The funniest play on words I've ever used in a title was on the Pentax Discussion Mail List (PDML). I was looking for a certain old lens. A member in Argentina offered to buy it for me from a dealer in his country. I titled my reply, "Don't buy for me, Argentina."

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened

jsr said:
Both forms of anodizing actually grow into the aluminum as well as coat it. Also, just because it's HA3/Type3/HCA doesn't mean it's mil-spec (as too many mfr's claim). The thickness of the anodizing is customer chosen (and thus can be thinner than a Type2 anodize). It's cheaper the thinner it is as it takes less time and the anodizer gets more through-put. There's also 3 methods for HA3, tho I have no clue what method each mfr uses (or if even they know).
So that's what fenix did to my l1p, I knew it seemed too cheap to have top knotch type III:crazy:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say mag solitaire is -5, fenix is a 4 and inova is an 8, arc and surefire would be 10 (I've heard of a surefire sawing through a minimag!)

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like HA Nat.

dsc01731small4jo.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

JonSidneyB said:
I don't know about that...I have had many lights in HAIII black. a few years ago I found that I actually like HAIII natual more and now only have one HAIII black at the moment.

Ditto!

If Surefire released a U2 in HA-nat with a lower low level and no QC issues I would order at once!

Sverre

Seems I couldn't contain myself and bought one anyway;)
Very nice even if HA-nat and OD plastic would be the best...

Last edited:

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Perhaps it's just me but I actually prefer HA111 dyed black. Black is usually the preferred colour for equipment carried on duty belts (assuming that the duty gear is black of course).

I always feel that despite the engineering kudos that Surefire lights have they always look out of place on a black duty belt. IMHO black somehow looks much nicer for a duty torch when it is carried on a black duty belt.

Doug

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Understood!
2006 is the year of "all luxeon" and "all HA-III" for me! My Matterhorn (soon to be replaced by Pacific AAA Luxeon) keychain, Mediterranean 2AA, and MillerMods L1P helmet light are all HA-III and I won't go back.

My LuxeonV 8AA to 2D Mag will be replaced by a HA-III bored 8AA to 2D Mag with four K2 400 lumen BAM! mod so all four of my most commonly used lights will be HA-III Luxeons. Still waiting for the HA-III 2D Mag to arrive in the mail but it will look nice sitting on the shelf with natural HA-III goodness. Once the BAM! drop-in arrives (May -- June) it will be taken off the shelf and used.

The LuxeonV WX1S nFlex 8AA Mag will be used at work which is fine. My used everyday lights will be HA-III and life will be good.

Longbow

Enlightened

A high luster black HA anodized finish is used on many quality rifle scopes, proof that a shiny black anodize may be either type II or type III.

Longbow

Enlightened

Tron3, I thought you were banned for six months.....oh well.

tron3

Banned

Longbow said:
Tron3, I thought you were banned for six months.....oh well.

Got time off for good flashaholic behavior. :grin2: