laserdevices 5w

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look decent... and the finish looks nice... I doubt it will put out 125 lumens though... any thoughts on this light? I personally like the operative.

-David

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
The lights I saw at SHOT were "OK" but nothing to write home about. Your money is probably better spent elsewhere.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh really..... I was looking at getting a 5w light... surefire doesnt have anything of interest, so I was thinking of getting the operative.... what were the problems with the lights u saw at the shot show?

-David

greenLED

Flashaholic
so-so machining/finish, using kroll switch (some units had epoxy sealing the switch, others didn't) - they subtly pushed me me out of their booth after pointing that out :crazy: Anyway... the "operator" is supposed to be a weapons light, the "operative" is more of a handheld light - the color options may attract some people, type II anodizing. I see the Operative (LuxV) as a "cheap" knock-off of the SF L4.

The L4 is one of the most interesting SF lights for me; I'll eventually get one, although I already have another 5W (U2). I'm curious, why do you find SF doesn't have anything interesting in the LuxV line? Is it looks, price, performance, reliability?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any suggestions as to a good 5w light? I am not a fan of the surefire lights, the L4 doesnt have nearly enough throw (though I am not looking for throw, I would like some). HA3 would be nice, and regulation.

-David

Lexus

Enlightened
Ok, if you want a 5w led with some throw you need a bigger reflector than the L4. You also mentioned HAIII and regulation would be nice.

Have you looked at the Aleph lights? They are not exactly cheap, but they offer TONS of customization. You might be interested in the Aleph1 (27mm) or Aleph3 head (38mm). They will make a luxV throw quite well, especially the A3 head. You can choose from different bodies and tailcaps too. Want use rechageables? No problem!

More info can be found in the Mc-Lux Aleph Series FAQ:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/64146

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
Do you have any suggestions as to a good 5w light? I am not a fan of the surefire lights, the L4 doesnt have nearly enough throw (though I am not looking for throw, I would like some). HA3 would be nice, and regulation.

-David

I think a QuicksilverV with an IMS 27 will be a good choice; bright, multi level brightness, type II black anodize, can use 18650s, easy reflector swap and cheap at $60 from Emilion..
It is a VB-16, but with a LuxV....

It is regulated, but if you want hard ano and a LuxV I think either the U2 or a Pentagonlight would be the best choice.

Sverre

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
so is surefire the only company that makes a 5w HA3 2 cell light with reflector for under $150?

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am probably just going to save my cash till may (must resist) that way I can see all the new lights come out, and then choose.

-David