Preparing a light for return to Surefire?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my RMA and now I have to put my L4 back in the mailbox it came from, I have some questions.
Should I send it back in the original box or just find something that fits?
What kind of turn around time should I expect?
Do they repair or replace? I dont want an intermittant white head replaced with a green one.
My KL4 got very hot once, when I tried to twist off the head it seperated in the middle opposed to unthreading from the base, since then it has been intermittant.
What is an RMA number?

greenLED

Flashaholic
RMA= return manufacturer's authorization - it serves to track your warranty claim: what's wrong with your light, who it belongs to, what needs to be fixed, etc.

I'd wrap it in bubble-wrap and put it in a Priority Mail video box. No, wait, you're in Canada - find a suitable box. :confused:

Manufacturers usually replace or repair based on what's wrong with the light and how cost-effective it'd be to do one or the other.

Turnaround depends on the light, parts availability, etc. Seems like the U2 has a 3 week turnaround time lately.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
write the RMA clearly visable on the outside of the box in marker so they can see it. Some places if they dont see that RMA they will refuse delivery of the light.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Include inside a sheet stating the RMA #, problem description, also your name and contact info.

In theory they could repair it, but in most cases they apparently just replace it.

When my U2 needed repairs, I returned it in the original box, inside a cardboard box with bubble wrap. They replaced the flashlight.

Time will vary, but with my U2 it took about five weeks.