hunting LED torch

toka_shigazu

Newly Enlightened
hi,
i am after a led torch for hunting to pick out rabbits at max 330 feet. i am after an led one as they seem a lot smaller than the likes of my 4 d cell maglite [which only gives me a working distance of about 40 yards, an weighs a ton]
can anyone suggest a torch for me...i have seen a premierlight 5 w one that says it can thrown a usable beam up to 330 feet and possibly more...can anyone confirm this or add any more?
thanks

CLHC

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

It states "usable beam up to 330 feet" eh? I don't know about your said light, probably others here will be able to help you out. Anyways, hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
toka_shigazu said:
hi,
i am after a led torch for hunting to pick out rabbits at max 330 feet. i am after an led one as they seem a lot smaller than the likes of my 4 d cell maglite [which only gives me a working distance of about 40 yards...
Your requirements are so challenging I'm not sure it's possible. a 4D Mag-Lite has excellent throw. No LED light thus far tested by www.flashlightreviews.com has better throw.

The best throwing LED light is the Striker VG. You may want to consider it:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledlogic_strikervg.htm

I definitely would not get the Premierlight unless someone has reviewed it first. The mfg says it's effective at 600 ft, which is physically impossible. If you define "effective" as triggering a charge-coupled photon counter, yes it's effective in that respect.

Throw is determined by overall output, and the ratio of emitter size to reflector size. A 5W Luxeon V emitter is large (vs Luxeon I/III) so to achieve great throw requires a large reflector.

To be effective at 300+ ft, you need a *very* narrow beam which in turn requires a somewhat large reflector. It's possible some of the semi-custom lights available on this forum like the Aleph might have a chance at that range -- I'm sure someone will chime in.

watt4

Enlightened
the other night I was playing outside with incan and led flashlights. I noticed that deer eyes were easier to spot with the incan. no, I don't recall the lights I was "using". But I made a mental note of it.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
K2 Kroma would be a great hunting light.

-David

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what you're looking to spend but of the "conventional" hand held lights in the retail marketplace, I don't know anything handheld that is going to reach 110 yards and illuminate something as small as a rabbit. I've used both a Streamlight SL20 and a Mag Charger in a football stadium at night and neither one of those would light up the goal post at the other end. About the only thing that would was a spotlight with a 100w bulb (either car mounted or hand held.

toka_shigazu said:
hi,
i am after a led torch for hunting to pick out rabbits at max 330 feet.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't think of anything normal that throws that far, not short of some kind of 12 volt car spotlight like I would use for out spotting deer. Best I have are a 5 C Cell Maglight, and Inova X03, they both throw a good ly distance but 100 yards is a far piece off.