Icarus's Tri-LuxIII Aleph3 IMS17 vs Tri-LuxIII Aleph3 McR18

alauda

Enlightened
I have been very privalidged to have sampled both of Freddy's (Icarus) Aleph's. I have tried to take photos of the beam shots but unfortunately I am not that adept yet with a digital camera to show the clear differences.

Well actually I think it is my camera !!

I need to explain why I have developed a pasion for flashlights. I have a particularly aggresive German Shepherd who quite frankly is a liability in the UK. Even if he growls at someone, I can be prosecuted. So I have taken to walking late at night amongst fields, footpaths and woods (used as phesant runs). Basically anywhere I can go where there is no one.

I need a flashlight that is 100% relable, pocketable, good runtime and a good throw. Having said that I also need spill. I have learnt this from what I can only describe as the "lighted tunnel effect". There is no good knowing what is a 200m away while having no awareness of what is actually around you. To date nothing has really fullfilled my needs totally. Untill now..

Anyhow here goes on the description.

Tri-LuxIII Aleph3 IMS17
The IMS17 has a pronounced circle of intense white light. There is a good spill BUT is washed out by the intensity of the hot spot. There is a corona of darkness around the hot circle of light. Having receeived this light first I was mighty impressed and was not really aware of this effect. It fullfilled my needs brilliantly. However..

Tri-LuxIII Aleph3 McR18
The McR18 version is a vastly different beast. With exactly the same Bin's and driver the beam is just fanatstic. It has all the throw of the IMS17 (maybe actually a little bit more) . The spill is superb, with no dark corona, just a sheer wall of light that throws.
I have compared them both together and the differnce is phenominal, too my eyes at least.

I have compared the to a SF U2 and Gladius and there is no comparison. The sheer volume of light is unsurpased in a light this size. The diference in beam is a personal choice and in no way is there a poor version, just a differnet one. I prefer the McR18 and would easily give it 11/10.

As for runtimes, just fantastic. I initially used two RCR123 for 48mins on high. With the UBH and two 150's, I was achieving in excess of 1hr 30 mins (even though one of the batteries was faulty). I have now bought one of Tranquility Bases's 2x168a and look forward to maybe 3hrs or more. This is a guess based on the extrapolation of runtimes.

With the Aleph two stage tail cap and suitable resistor I could only guess that it would go on for hours.
This mod by Icarus is one of the finest I own. The build quality is just perfect. It remained cool, thanks to Fredy's very clever heat sinking. The design and implemenation superb. Don has designed a superb reflector in the McR18. Freddy has the brilliance to design a light where the whole is the sum of the parts.

Perhaps his next creation should be called "Synergy"

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hum.... thanks for your observations... i think i may buy a mcr18.... ;)

currently using a IMS 17mm in my EOS headlamp... i think I may have to mod the mcr18 slightly... but thats ok :)

Latest posts