So what fun stuff can I do with my UV-light?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Threw in a 12led uv-light with my fenix order from lighthound. But am a bit confused over what to do with it? Mainly I wanted to play a bit CSI with it, but it doesnt seem to work on blood or saliva. Or how is it supposed to work? Cause now it just illuminates it like a regular light.
Is there any other uses you could use it for? Charge solarcells or does it work as well with a regular light? Is there any point to use it on my plants?

carrot

Flashaholic
UV should work on urine and semen. From the 25 episodes of CSI I watched over the weekend, it appears they use something called Luminol to reveal bloodstains, not UV. Another interesting thing is, if you take a florescent highlighter, and rub it on your skin, the UV light will make your skin glow where you used the highlighter, even *after* you wash off the dye, due to the florescent markers being harder to wash away.

M.TEX

Enlightened
ok try on rocks, and some of the soap at your house (all kind ).

just try dif. materials and you'll see....

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that my 12 LED/AA china light doesn't illuminate much. Only seems to work with glow in the dark things and the security strip on US cash. No bodily fluids. I was hoping to use it to find where my senile cat has used the garage floor as a toilet, but it doesn't show up. :rolleyes: My guess is the cheap LEDs aren't quite in the right spectrum.

tron3

Banned
I never talk about urine or semen in my threads, and yet mine get locked. :duh2: :rolleyes:

At least you didn't make a poll asking who to search for...:sssh:

Last edited:

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I use my Inova X5 UV to quickly charge up the glow stars on the ceiling of our kids room at night. There is something about the frequency that really gets the stars charged up in just a few seconds. They then glow for quite a long time. It's become part of the bedtime routine!

cfb

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, grease stains really stand out. You really need to keep an eye out for urine. It's doesn't jump out at you like you think it would.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me on this one Lobo, you really don't want to shine it between knee and waist high level on the walls near the toilet in the bathroom at home you use most often.

You might have UV leds that peak their output around 405-410 nm, if so, try to get your hands on a few UV leds that peak out below 380nm and compare the two types. You will notice a big improvement in what the shorter 380 nanometer and below wavelength leds light up.

I use my UV led lights to check paper money mostly. The shorter wavelength UV leds illuminate the hidden security features on the newest series of Canadian notes amazingly well and then there is always the hidden emblems on the front of credit cards that only show up under UV light to check out as well.

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of graphics and use many differrent kinds of paper. Very often the paper will end up mixed up in different piles.

I use my UV light to sort out the different kinds of paper, because they reflect UV light differently.

Not much fun, but I saved a lot of money. Paper is not cheap.

dcarch8

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the advice, but I probably wont go down the road flashing around my bathroom. What you don't know doesn't hurt you...:)

Seems like the lighthounds 12-led UVlight is in the higher spectrum, but for that price, it's a bargain.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Nyctophiliac said:
For those with weak stomachs...
I don't recommend hospital toilets or showers!
Been there, done that , felt a bit queasy.

:naughty: :naughty:

Have to remember to bring my Mag3dUVmod 26-380nm's with me next time I'm on EMT duty!