Klarus
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EDC Pen?

Hybrid View

Default EDC Pen?

I started with a benchmade griptilian (now upgraded to Aries 154CM), then i got a edc light, the c3 (now upgraded to U2) And in life i have found that there is one thing that i need to do alot, besides lighting somthing up, or cutting somthing open; and that is writing something down. I was wondering what you guys would suggest as far as an edc pen. I am looking for reliability and ink that comes out the first time, i hate having to go back and re-write letters because the ball decided to stop rolling. I would like somthing with a clip for the inside of my pocket. I am considering the Space Pen. what do you guys think?
    "you carry an umbrella if there is a 50% chance of rain, right? Well, there's a 100% chance of darkness tonight." -saunterer

Default Re: EDC Pen?

Space pens are good, reliable pens. I keep a bullet pen in my jacket pocket along with a Gerber LST mini-folder and a Photon Freedom keychain light. The downside is that they can leave "ink boogers" from time to time. They are extremely reliable, but I would not describe them as fine writing instruments.

I keep a Cross Townsend in my shirt pocket for work.

Scott

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Lamy Pico is great, although the mechanism is a bit dirt-sensitive
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Other than the Fisher Bullets, the AG7 is a nice one.

i bought a small (half the size of a bic pen) pen... the cap kept coming off in my pocket... so i ditched it...

hum... i'd be interested in more input...

I'd go for the Fisher bullet pen. Small and fairly good. Not too expensive, so losing it wont make you cry too much. I usually have two on me...one clipped in a pocket and another in my wallet.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by beezaur
    Space pens are good, reliable pens...The downside is that they can leave "ink boogers" from time to time.
    Very well said.

My EDC is a space pen because I can just put it in my pants pocket next to my Leatheman Micra and forget it's there till I need it. The good news for me is that I haven't noticed the "ink booger" problem in this pen. I have experienced it in years past so maybe Fisher has fixed it somehow.

I agree it is not a "fine" pen but it works for me as an EDC when I don't want to have to carry something bigger.
    Bob
    "Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it." - Claud-Adrian Helvetius

Flashaholic*

I have used Zebra F-301 Fine Point's for about the last 15 years. Used frequently for writing down hourly log readings at work, first in the Navy, now at a water plant. I have never had a pen explode in my pocket and only 2 failures that I can recall. Once when the pen was dropped onto a steel deck and landed directly on it's tip. The ball point would not roll after that. The second time was after a soda was spilled into the penholder in my truck and allowed to dry and gummed up the entire end of the pen. The rest of the time, I am very suprised when the pen stops writing and it is always due to there being absolutely no ink left in it. They seem to go forever.

I have a Cross Ion and an Inka pen. The Cross is a bit too bulky, but I prefer writing with it. The Inka is always on my keychain, ready when I need it.

Flashaholic*

I'll second the Victorinox Signature II and Manager II line; very small, the cartridge is replaceable and writes well, and of course you get all of the other SAK amenities (knife, scissors, file/flathead screwdriver- bottle opener/phillips on the Manager model). I wouldn't want to use it for writing novel, but for jotting down numbers on the fly it is perfect IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DonShock View Post
    I have used Zebra F-301 Fine Point's for about the last 15 years. Used frequently for writing down hourly log readings at work, first in the Navy, now at a water plant. I have never had a pen explode in my pocket and only 2 failures that I can recall. Once when the pen was dropped onto a steel deck and landed directly on it's tip. The ball point would not roll after that. The second time was after a soda was spilled into the penholder in my truck and allowed to dry and gummed up the entire end of the pen. The rest of the time, I am very suprised when the pen stops writing and it is always due to there being absolutely no ink left in it. They seem to go forever.
    I agree completely. I use pens hard, and several times a day. The F-301 is a bit lighter and thinner; the F-402 is a bit thicker and heavier. Both have the same internals, both write superbly and endure under extreme abuse. I've had (and have) many very expensive 'upscale' pens - none is the functional match to a Zebra.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by beezaur
    Space pens are good, reliable pens. I keep a bullet pen in my jacket pocket along with a Gerber LST mini-folder and a Photon Freedom keychain light. The downside is that they can leave "ink boogers" from time to time. They are extremely reliable, but I would not describe them as fine writing instruments.

I keep a Cross Townsend in my shirt pocket for work.

Scott
    Me too

Flashaholic*

Smile Re: EDC Pen?

Space Pen/Bullet with black matte finish. This is my first one...sweet.

chiphead

Fisher Bullet Pen, Retro 51 Classic 200, and a Rotring 600, black.
    Tacfolder
    -----------------------------------------------
    "People should not be afraid of their government,
    the government should be afraid of the people."
    -----------------------------------------------

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by chiphead
    Space Pen/Bullet with black matte finish. This is my first one...sweet.

chiphead
    Just picked up one of these myself from Staples. Just over $17 out the door. Very nice EDC pen.

Now I'm looking for one of the Fisher military "generic" pens locally. They are available mail order, but the shipping is almost as much as the pen.
    Pelican M6 2390 -SF E2L - SF G2 (x2) - StreamLight TaskLight 2-L - Cyclops CYC-XCF2 - Fenix L1P - SF 6PL - SF A2-HA-RD - Fenix L1T v2.

Just got my Inka pen yesterday from Lighthound. Very nice, went right on the keychain.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

I carry my Bullet pen like this

Martin

I have some of the pens mentioned here this is my mini-review:

Tombow object XL:
    + Good size for carrying and extends quickly for writing
    + Good weight, but could have been just a notch heavier for my taste
    + No cap to lose, just one piece
    - No pocket clip, if you put it in your keyring you need a way to release it such as a quick release keyring or a twistie

Cross ION:
    + Excellent writing, I like the ION ink a lot.
    + very confortable for writing
    + cap detaches so you can have it in your keyring and get it quickly for notes
    - size is a little bulky for keyring carry

Fisher bullet
    + Has a pocket clip
    + Great size
    - Pocket clip can fall and lose the pen (you have to glue the clip probably)
    - Some problems with the body detaching instead of the cap

Inka
    + Great size for keyring
    + Quickly detaches for writing
    - I think the stylus is 100% useless, you won't do the "building" to use it
    - The full-size transformation is unthinkable

Luigi

Hey Simbad—I never thought about that and do carry a Leatherman Charge XTi

Nice summarization Luigi!
    LUX'Ottica

Quote Originally Posted by simbad
    I carry my Bullet pen like this

Haha, Thats thae same exact way I carry mine. On my belt it is always at reach.

Flashaholic*

Smile Re: EDC Pen?

Fisher Space Pen black with clip, "broad" point cartriage.

chiphead

Clear blue ocean & windswept coconut trees..

Arrow Re: EDC Pen?

Courtesy of Matt!

1 Chrome and 1 Titanium Bullet! Well, i do prefer the Ti one more coz it doesn't get all smudgy with fingerprints so badly as the chrome.. And also i read that prolonged use will result in the Chrome rubbing off.. which just isn't very desirable..

I'll need some Fine refills though. Medium doesn't work for me.

YES!

At OfficeMax today I scored: a pack of three Uniball Power Tank RT 1.0s, a Uniball 207 Premier 0.7, a two pack of Parker Gel refills and a two pack of "Penatia" "Size It" refills.

All write very well with the exception of the Penatias, which are just like all the older ball points before Gel.

Really the only "score" was the Power Tanks since they are Black when all I could find before were Blue.

This is STILL quite a bit cheaper than lights.....

I've looked at Bullets a couple times now and they just don't "do it" for me.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Wowsers!

For a mear 2 bucks (+16cents) I got 6 pens at a Dollar Store. 5 are clicky black ink medium, and one is a twist body medium black.

All write pretty decent, and the twisty can use a Parker refill, so it gets Gelled when I get home! It also feels of quite a bit more quality than the clickies.

This was WAY WAY cheaper than lights!!

PBJS

At another dollar store the next day after this post (Dollar Tree in Conroe) I found a three pack of decent pens that write pretty good, and a two pack of one black body and one silver body with "jeweled" grips that look pretty nice and take Parker Refills.

I put a Parker Gel in the silver one and gave it to my Dad to replace the Zebra G-301 I had given him.

The black one has a Parker Gel and is with me today.

Last night I hit the Dollar General here in Shepherd. A dollor two pack of 4-color pens (Do NOT waste a dollar on these!) that write horrible. I found that a Penatia refill cut down can replace a stocker in these, so at least one has a decent black writer. Also got what turned out to be a 2 buck Pilot "Renegade" pen in blue body. It uses good Pilot refills and writes very well. In size it is a bit fat for my normal pocket carry, being about the same size as a PHD pen, or Dr. Grip. I feel slightly bad at paying 2 bucks, feeling that 1 dollar would be more realistic. But not TOO bad...

I LOVE scoring stuff like the jeweled grip pens, or the Twisty one I found the other day. Being able to put a great refill in a decent pen is like hotrodding a M*glight!

PBJS

Just acquired the A.T. Cross Roadster. About an inch longer than its sibling the A.T. Crosss Ion but same girth. Great pen in my hands to say the least.
    LUX'Ottica

One of the Dollar Store pens got so the nose won't stay tight.

So I traded it for the UniBall 207 Gel pen in my truck. Been carrying it for several weeks now.

It has a significantly better clip than my fave Power Tank UniBall and looks quite a bit classier! The Gel ink seems to write just as well as the PT too....

PBJS

Oh, neat thread, I just bought a Fisher Stowaway last weekend. Neat little guy. I think I need a Bullet now for sure.
    RIP Don and Mike Show. Long Live The Mike O'Meara Show!

Flashaholic

I have a matte black space pen and I love it, It always writes, and it is compact enough that you dont notice it when carrying it. The only problem I had was the clip coming off, but a drop of super glue works great to keep it on. I am also amazed at how well the black coating holds up.
    I need to find a cheaper hobby