Battery Junction
Page 1 of 15 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Pen?

Default EDC Pen?

I started with a benchmade griptilian (now upgraded to Aries 154CM), then i got a edc light, the c3 (now upgraded to U2) And in life i have found that there is one thing that i need to do alot, besides lighting somthing up, or cutting somthing open; and that is writing something down. I was wondering what you guys would suggest as far as an edc pen. I am looking for reliability and ink that comes out the first time, i hate having to go back and re-write letters because the ball decided to stop rolling. I would like somthing with a clip for the inside of my pocket. I am considering the Space Pen. what do you guys think?
    "you carry an umbrella if there is a 50% chance of rain, right? Well, there's a 100% chance of darkness tonight." -saunterer

Default Re: EDC Pen?

Space pens are good, reliable pens. I keep a bullet pen in my jacket pocket along with a Gerber LST mini-folder and a Photon Freedom keychain light. The downside is that they can leave "ink boogers" from time to time. They are extremely reliable, but I would not describe them as fine writing instruments.

I keep a Cross Townsend in my shirt pocket for work.

Scott

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Lamy Pico is great, although the mechanism is a bit dirt-sensitive
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Other than the Fisher Bullets, the AG7 is a nice one.

i bought a small (half the size of a bic pen) pen... the cap kept coming off in my pocket... so i ditched it...

hum... i'd be interested in more input...

I'd go for the Fisher bullet pen. Small and fairly good. Not too expensive, so losing it wont make you cry too much. I usually have two on me...one clipped in a pocket and another in my wallet.

If I carried one, it would be one of those mini Sharpie pens because they will write on just about anything.

peace

Flakey we have the same history. I EDC a leatherman, next I added a HDS60 to my EDC, and found out that I really need to EDC a pen cause its frustrating when you dont have one when you need it.

I prefered clicky without the hassle of a cap

Got a cheap pen by Mitsubishi Pencil Co. Its a Uni Power Tank
    Write in extreme conditions with Power Tank, I think the ink catridges are pressurized.

this from their site:

Why worry about different pens for different places when one pen writes everywhere? Power Tank is the all-condition "uni" pen, able to write at any angle, on wet surfaces and even in temperatures as low as
    -20°degrees Centigrade.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

Currently, I'm never without a Uniball Jetstream. It uses some sort of funky ballpoint / gel hybrid ink that lays down *very* smoothly for a ballpoint. It can be found in any stationary store for around $2 or $3, I've found.

I do want a pen that's better-built, but I don't like heavy pens (based on what I have owned so far.) I also own a Sensa Stylus with gel ink, which weighs in at about 1.5oz, and I find that it causes me to press down harder than I'd like, resulting in a thick line. I'm not fond of the soft grip either... while comfortable, it makes me grip harder to compensate for its "squishiness" and also robs me of some control. I do like its reassuring solid feel, though.

Interestingly, I find its .7mm point to be almost identical in smoothness to the Jetstream's 1mm point, but I prefer a light-handed writing style... so while the Jetstream barely touches the paper and leaves a thin and precise line, the Sensa unavoidably gets pressed down and leaves a thick line that my small handwriting doesn't agree with. Swinging that weight around also makes my hand tired much faster. Perhaps I'd have an easier time if the pen balanced differently, but I doubt the fatigue would go away.

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

I buy the Zebra Sarasa 0.7 mm gel pen at Staples in Canada. I'm guessing it's made in Japan. Reliable, black ink and smooth. Works like you think a pen should.

Flashaholic*

Everyday carry on my person is a Sak Midnight Manager with pen, it is very handy. I carry a Fisher bullet pen in my jacket.

In my briefcase I carry a Cross, I fell in love with their feel years and years ago, with fine point, and a Berol Colormatics 5MM pencil.

I love the Colormatics it feels similar to the Cross but in a pencil, with a 5MM cushioned tip. They dont make them any more, so I bought the last 20 I could find so I would have them .

Lamy 2000 quad ink - 4 colors in a pen that doesn't look too techy. Only downside is the refills don't go that long, but you always have 3 backups!
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.” Juma Ikaanga

SF L4, E2E, U2 w/18650 and WXOS, UK Vectra w/LED Mod, THOR 35W HID Mod, 3xTWOH M@G, M@G85, M@G60, HDS EDC60, EDC85 mod, Too many Nichia CS Mods to count.

Flashaholic

I've tried all kinds of pens ranging from space pens to other pens in the 50-60 dollar range. I've pretty much now just gone to cheap gel pens - they write so well, and they always write - no scribbling circles - ever. They do dry a bit slow as paper texture gets more glossy though. My specific fav pen now is the Pentel EnerGel pen with the 0.7mm ball. This pen has a clickie tailcap, that retracts when inserted into a shirt pocket. I used to have a miserable time trying to get stains out of the bottom of my shirt pockets, now there simply aren't any. Model on the pen is BL37-A - look at http://www.pentel.com.tr/pentel/bl37.asp for a pic of it (page not in english)

My EDC pens are a Cross Ion and a Pentel RSVP pen. I like the way the RSVP writes really smoothly. I highly recommend the Cross Ion; not only does everyone tell me "nice pen," but they want to know how it works.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by beezaur
    Space pens are good, reliable pens...The downside is that they can leave "ink boogers" from time to time.
    Very well said.

My EDC is a space pen because I can just put it in my pants pocket next to my Leatheman Micra and forget it's there till I need it. The good news for me is that I haven't noticed the "ink booger" problem in this pen. I have experienced it in years past so maybe Fisher has fixed it somehow.

I agree it is not a "fine" pen but it works for me as an EDC when I don't want to have to carry something bigger.
    Bob
    "Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it." - Claud-Adrian Helvetius

Flashaholic*

I have used Zebra F-301 Fine Point's for about the last 15 years. Used frequently for writing down hourly log readings at work, first in the Navy, now at a water plant. I have never had a pen explode in my pocket and only 2 failures that I can recall. Once when the pen was dropped onto a steel deck and landed directly on it's tip. The ball point would not roll after that. The second time was after a soda was spilled into the penholder in my truck and allowed to dry and gummed up the entire end of the pen. The rest of the time, I am very suprised when the pen stops writing and it is always due to there being absolutely no ink left in it. They seem to go forever.

I have a Cross Ion and an Inka pen. The Cross is a bit too bulky, but I prefer writing with it. The Inka is always on my keychain, ready when I need it.

Flashaholic*

I'll second the Victorinox Signature II and Manager II line; very small, the cartridge is replaceable and writes well, and of course you get all of the other SAK amenities (knife, scissors, file/flathead screwdriver- bottle opener/phillips on the Manager model). I wouldn't want to use it for writing novel, but for jotting down numbers on the fly it is perfect IMO.

Many good pens out there. . .My current EDCable pen is the A.T. Cross Ion in steel.
    LUX'Ottica

I've decided that it's not the pen as much as the refill. My current EDC for writing is a hand turned pen made from rosewood with gold and black accents. You can buy a kit from www.pennstateind.com to make your own. I turned it on my Harbor Freight 7x10 minilathe.

The nice thing about it is that you can turn, carve or sand a shape that meets your own needs. This one just happens to feel good in the hand.

The black one is a .5 mm pencil with a carbon fiber body. The pencil tip extends and retracts with a click just like a ball point. Pilot made it about 30 years ago and stopped production for many years. I see they are selling them again as the "Vanishing Point Mechanical Pencil".

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

I bought a Fisher Telescoping Space pen a few years back. Neat concept, but not without issues: the sheath that covers the point when retracted is open at the end, allowing pocket lint to accumulate into a "dust bunny" on the point. Result... blob on the first stroke. Also, as the mechanism wears, it has begun allowing the point to peek out a bit from the sheath. Result... ink stains on/in pockets.

As a conversation piece/cool gadget, it excels. As a writing instrument, it is perfectly satisfactorily (with a clean tip).

But overall, it now stays in my junk box on my desk at home. The staining became too much of a problem. And I miss having it in my pocket.

I do not care to carry a "full-size" pen, for several reasons. I have been contemplating a regular Fisher Bullet Pen, since it appears to prevent the two drawbacks to the telescoping version.

So... anyone use the regular Bullet Pen???

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C
    I bought a Fisher Telescoping Space pen a few years back. Neat concept, but not without issues: the sheath that covers the point when retracted is open at the end, allowing pocket lint to accumulate into a "dust bunny" on the point. Result... blob on the first stroke. Also, as the mechanism wears, it has begun allowing the point to peek out a bit from the sheath. Result... ink stains on/in pockets.

As a conversation piece/cool gadget, it excels. As a writing instrument, it is perfectly satisfactorily (with a clean tip).

But overall, it now stays in my junk box on my desk at home. The staining became too much of a problem. And I miss having it in my pocket.

I do not care to carry a "full-size" pen, for several reasons. I have been contemplating a regular Fisher Bullet Pen, since it appears to prevent the two drawbacks to the telescoping version.

I have a couple of the Bullet Pens. They're nice, but require 2-hands to engage the pen (you have to pull the end off). The nice thing abou them, is once you put the cover-cap onto the end of the pen, it makes it a nice length for writing.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C
    I do, see my post above. I also agree with TIN's comments. I don't usually find it a problem to have to use both hands but there are times when it's a pain.

If I were going to always wear shirts or jackets that allowed me to carry a full size pen I would choose that over the Bullet Pen. I choose this for it's size and durablility and because it *won't* leak in my pocket.

Added: I also like the fact that when it's closed there are no sharp edges or points so I don't worry about it putting a hole in my pants pocket either. BTW, mine is without the clip.
    Last edited by drizzle; 02-23-2006 at 02:36 PM.
    Bob
    "Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it." - Claud-Adrian Helvetius

I EDC a Tool Pen. It uses a Fisher space pen ink cartridge.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

Quote Originally Posted by gadget_lover

The black one is a .5 mm pencil with a carbon fiber body. The pencil tip extends and retracts with a click just like a ball point. Pilot made it about 30 years ago and stopped production for many years. I see they are selling them again as the "Vanishing Point Mechanical Pencil".

Daniel
    Is the body of that pencil as light and durable as one would be led to believe by seeing the words "carbon fiber?" And... do they make it in pen form?

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    I EDC a Tool Pen. It uses a Fisher space pen ink cartridge.
    I saw that earlier today and ordered one, but from a different store. It's (relatively) cheap, and if I don't like it, it'd make a great gift for one of a number of people i know... one question, how has yours held up? One would expect it to be an exceptionally durable pen given its dual-use as a screwdriver, but there have been many "Yuppie Toys" with similar concepts that can't stand up to real-world use and abuse.

Yes, Kenny J, the pilot Vanishing point pencil is very durable and very lightweight.

I started EDCing one around 1973. I'd carry it in my front jeans pocket. I broke the first in the mid 1980's. It snapped in half at the point where it threaded together. I found a replacement that year even though it was out of production at that time.

My mom was working at a staionary store at the time and found two of them "new in the box" on a shelf in the storage room. That was my Christmas present that year. I carry the pen every day and the spares are still in the box in my drawer.

I don't know if they are selling it as a ballpoint, but we are modders, are we not?

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

Stainless stel Parker 'Jotter' ball pen with fine black opint refill (I have lots of precise writing to do in my job, fine point helps).

I have several of these, in my various jackets and at work in my coveralls. I used to like Space Pens, and I still like the design, but the ink oozes out, and this really annoys me, having to clean ink off the end of the pen, and off my hands every time I used it.

A while back, I contemplated getting a Dunhill carbon fibre pen, but I though, and decided that I ddin't need such an expensive pen !
    Do something, or do nothing, but do it quickly, there's a line forming !!

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar
    I have a couple of the Bullet Pens. They're nice, but require 2-hands to engage the pen (you have to pull the end off). The nice thing abou them, is once you put the cover-cap onto the end of the pen, it makes it a nice length for writing.
    That's kind of what I figured. Sounds just like what I need.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyj
    how has yours held up?
    The Tool Pen is not my first choice for a screwdriver so it has not seen a lot of abuse. That being said, I do use it as a screwdriver a lot when I'm in a hurry or when I'm just too lazy to look for a screwdriver. I've had mine for about a year, and it looks and works just like it came out of the box.

The cap is very strong and allows you to give it quite a bit of torque. If you are not familiar with the tool pen, when the cap is on the pen is retracted and safe from harm. Take the cap off and the pen is extended and ready for uses. FYI, the cap goes on the opposite end from the pen/philips.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!