Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Pen?

Default Re: EDC Pen?

Hello LightCacher!

I had a couple of those pens! Loved the girth and feel. But for some reason, after awhile, the rubber gets kind of "mushy" and tends to "rotate" on me. Don't know why. Another full sized pen I use is an Opera fountain pen by Waterman.

Enjoy!
    LUX'Ottica

Quote Originally Posted by CHC
    Hello LightCacher!

I had a couple of those pens! Loved the girth and feel. But for some reason, after awhile, the rubber gets kind of "mushy" and tends to "rotate" on me. Don't know why. Another full sized pen I use is an Opera fountain pen by Waterman.

Enjoy!
    So far, mine is still holding up well. I've had it for a couple of months now and the grip is still firm. I hope it stays that way because it's a great writing pen.

Flashaholic

I am surprised no one else has mentioned the Fisher Millenium Space Pen. It is a great EDC pen. I like that when it is capped (like the space pen) it completely covers the point so if you carry it in your pants pocket it doesn't get all jammed up with lint. Plus it has a good clip and is light enough to carry in a shirt pocket. It is big enough to be comfortable to hold if you have a lot to write. Yes, it is a bit expensive, but you never have to buy a refill! And it seems that they have improved the QC again.

John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Hey Ned,

What's the deal with the Millenium ink? Is it the same as their regular ink, same writability? I wonder how they make it last a "lifetime". Perhaps they figure if you run out before losing the pen they still make money by sending you a refill. I have been tempted by it, but figure I lose too many pens to spend that much on an EDC.
    ~Greg

"Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
    -Unknown

I think they just have a big honkin ink reservoir. Supposedly they last so long that a normal person can't empty it in their lifetime. They replace it for free if you do manage to use it all up. They actually can't be refilled by the user (they don't have cartridges; it's commonly assumed that it's basically just one big hollow space inside to make room for a lot of ink.)

I would love to have one of the Millenium pens, but can't see paying that much for one considering how many of the ~$20 ones I've lost.
    Paul
    >|\ ______________
    >| |||||||||||||||||!
    >|/
    Everybody's got a little light under the sun -Parliament

Flashaholic*

That Tombow Object XL looked so cool I just ordered one Thanks for posting the photo!. Does it have a pocket clip?

I've been using the 3 for $8 Uniball "Power Tanks" They work really well and have good ergonomics. Pressurized is the way to go.
    McCree XR-19C | Ti PD UVIJ | PD-UX1K | 27LT X-Cree Mod | Ti- ExoLion #14 | Aleph 3 WWOT | Milkyspit L1 | TnC: HyperLux V's, KeyLux N-Cell/AAA's | Orb RAW U-bin | Space Needle II Clone's | Surefire: 622, Nice and Green L2 Hotwires: HA-III Mag11 | Cmaccel Finned HA-III ROP 550/1300

Enlightened

There's no pocket clip on the Tombow.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by nethiker
    Hey Ned,

What's the deal with the Millenium ink? Is it the same as their regular ink, same writability? I wonder how they make it last a "lifetime". Perhaps they figure if you run out before losing the pen they still make money by sending you a refill. I have been tempted by it, but figure I lose too many pens to spend that much on an EDC.
    I think it is just a little smoother writing, but that could be because it is a bold point compared to the Fisher refills that I have which are medium points. It seems to have the same minor problem with an occasional blotching of the ink that I have observed with any Fisher refill that I have used, but not so much that I really care. I know at $75 it is a bit expensive, but I am careful with my pens and rarely if ever have I lost one (I can't remember loosing a nice one anyway). It is just an all around great EDC pen.
    John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

My Fisher Bullet drives me nuts. Sometimes it writes beautifully smooth. Other times it refuses to write at all.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Enlightened

My EDC use to be a Diplomat barrel pen. I say "use to" as I lost it a couple of years ago.

I don't recall the model name, but it was gunmetal in appearance and twisted to expose the tip of the cartridge. Staples had a clearance on the refills for $0.50 a while back and I picked up about 10 of them, but I have yet to find a replacement pen.
    Pelican M6 2390 -SF E2L - SF G2 (x2) - StreamLight TaskLight 2-L - Cyclops CYC-XCF2 - Fenix L1P - SF 6PL - SF A2-HA-RD - Fenix L1T v2.

Quote Originally Posted by InFlux
    That Tombow Object XL looked so cool I just ordered one Thanks for posting the photo!. Does it have a pocket clip?

I've been using the 3 for $8 Uniball "Power Tanks" They work really well and have good ergonomics. Pressurized is the way to go.
    You'll have to give us a report on this. This pen really looks cool.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Inka still does it for me. Quick and easy to sign a check or a receipt, or the occaisional grocery list. But converts to the real deal easily for taking notes or advanced recipes! Heard there's a "tactical" version coming, too. Just my style!

[T]actical [I]nka eh? Now that would be something. . .
    LUX'Ottica

Sounds very interesting, actually. The main hangup I have over the Inka is that it doesn't look too quick to set up when you just need to jot something down really quick but can't write effectively with a half-length pen. If they plan on making something that fits the human hand and is usable more readily, I might be very tempted.

Three weeks ago I decided to buy a fisher bullet pen. Today I finally received my fisher bullet pen.(wrong delivery, package was opened, but stuff was still inside) In the mean time, I got an offer from FrenchLed to sell me a Inka Pen (An offer that I couldn't resist). The Inka was received from Frenchy 2 weeks ago (from France to NL in 2 days!!!).

I can say that Inka writes a bit smoother than the fisher (not much, but noticeable in some angles). When I opened the fisher, it does have the blob of inkt on the tip. So I guess it is still brand new. I hoped that was a one timer only.

The inka still remains an edc pen, it fits my keychain and it has been abused by my arc aaa. There are signs of scratches, but there is no finish to scratch off. Because fisher is a brass pen with chrome plating, it'll never be my edc with keychain. I've seen pictures of when the chromes goes off and it doesn't look good. When assembled, the inka feels very rigid and secure. The fisher's tailcap wobbles quite a bit, I don't feel like pressing it in any harder. Also the inkt cartridge inside rattles, especially when assembled. It might scratch the smooth finish.

Assembly time is longer on the Inka, 14 second eyes closed was one of my fastest times. But with fisher it's just removing tailcap and put it on. BTW I was able to assemble the fisher pen with one hand, of course it takes some more time than using two hands.

In the end, I like them both.
    Fisher has clip, bigger tank, easier to assemble.
    Inka has keychain, lasting finish, more rigid and smoother.
    Last edited by pokkuhlag; 03-24-2006 at 07:17 AM.
    For information about Jarhead aka Newbie's tests go to website: http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/led.htm
    For chatroom for cpf go to: http://coldmonkey.peu.net/chat.php

No fancy stuff over here, just a simple yet very reliable pen over here. Got it from my girlfriend and my name is carved into it. It's a Lamy, a German brand. I really love this pen and I always carry it with me!

http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=f4ei.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pokkuhlag
    Assembly time is longer on the Inka, 14 second eyes closed was one of my fastest times. But with fisher it's just removing tailcap and put it on. BTW I was able to assemble the fisher pen with one hand, of course it takes some more time than using two hands.
    pokkuhlag,

Could you post some photos showing assembly/disassembly of the Inka? I'm not sure how they work, but am curious. Perhaps you could take a picture of it next to a common battery for size comparison as well?

Thanks,
    Dan
    'Tis the gift to be simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bruner
    pokkuhlag,

Could you post some photos showing assembly/disassembly of the Inka? I'm not sure how they work, but am curious. Perhaps you could take a picture of it next to a common battery for size comparison as well?

Thanks,
    Dan
    AA battery is used and metric ruler for size comparison

size comparison without keychain attachment

size comparison with keychain attachment

pulled out pen and twist off keychain attachment

twist off cap off pen

put the pen in place of keychain attachment and twist it on
    and push the cap back in the stainless steel body

completed assembly

full size comparison

if you still don't get it, you can watch this xvid video of assembling and disassembling the inka:
    (save target as... to save it)
    http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/tormund/inka.avi

little extra video to show you one hand assembling and disasembling the fisher pen:
    http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/tormund/fisher.avi

Sorry for the bad quality, no sunlight today.

Edit:
    Inkt tanks size comparison, the big one is from fisher bullet pen and the small one is from Inka pen:

Last edited by pokkuhlag; 03-24-2006 at 12:56 PM.
    For information about Jarhead aka Newbie's tests go to website: http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/led.htm

Hey There. Great shots of the comparison with the Energizer AA battery and the other two "little" pens there. Now I have an idea—

Thanks Pokkuhlag!
    LUX'Ottica

Thanks for the pictures pokkuhlag. That's the first time I've seen a direct comparison between the two pens.

Regarding the chrome on the Fisher. I've carried mine in a pocket with keys, a money clip, a knife, and/or change for hundreds of days and the chrome has not come off. Of course that doesn't mean it won't, or can't, but that's my experience. The other finishes they use are not as tough, at least in the past.
    Paul
    >|\ ______________
    >| |||||||||||||||||!
    >|/
    Everybody's got a little light under the sun -Parliament

pokkuhlag,

Fantastic !

Thank you so much for the photos! You have convinced me that I now need an Inka!

Your photos explain perfectly how it works and what it's size is in relation to something we all have (AA batteries).

I wonder why the Inka website doesn't show these details? Surely, it's a HUGE selling point. Who doesn't love to screw/unscrew things Let alone, have it on your keychain.

Thanks again pokkuhlag for taking the time to respond with such good detail.

Dan

Nice posts Pokky

Good for other to compare these twos EDC pens Nice picts too, maybe you have to ask Inka to pay you some selling

I'm glad you guys liked the pics.

After a day of writing, I found the rattling of the inkt tank in fisher bullet pen annoying and wrapped a tape around the thin area that (or doesn't) touches the hole of the pen. This stopped the rattling and the writing is more stable too.

Another thing I noticed is that the grip area of the fisher bullet pen is very rough. It's basically a very shallow threading. When you feel it, it feels ok. But when I'm writing with it, it feels like it's trying to sand my finger down. The smoothness of the ballpoint has improved compared to yesterday, now it's hard to compare which ballpoint writes smoother. But the Inka is definitely smoother on your hand . Maybe I'll try the tombow object xl next, depending how the two pens perform on my 2 exam weeks .

Edit: Extra feature of the Inka pen for the PDA users

(remove the inkt cartridge when cap is off pen part and press the ballpoint upon a surface and inkt will come out of press fit)
    By removing the inkt cartridge and placing that in reverse from the front. You get a full size stylus pen. The cartridge is only secured by friction and tight tolerance (NOT PRESS FIT). It only comes out by 2mm max with heavily shaking and doesn't come out at all with normal writing. When you continue or increase heavily shaking, there is a chance of a flying inkt tank.
    Last edited by pokkuhlag; 03-25-2006 at 05:15 AM.

Thanx for the pictures! You just convinced me I don't need an Inka!

A good thing too, coz its keychain 'attachibility' drawn my attention coz my Fisher Bullets can't do that. But now it seems unpracticable as a EDC coz its not going to be a pull-off-the-cap-and-write kinda thing.

The screwing and unscrewing is too much of a hassle it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by SJACKAL
    it seems unpracticable as a EDC coz its not going to be a pull-off-the-cap-and-write kinda thing
    Actually, it is a "pull-off-the-cap-and-write kinda thing". If you just need to use it in it's "half size" state, there is no need to screw anything. Just pull it off of the keychain attachment and write.

At least, that is what I gathered from the photos.

Dan

I saw another EDC'able pen yesterday. A friend of mine was jotting something down on a paper when I saw it. It was a Marblelized Acrylic Montegrappa Micra BP! About the size of my A.T. Cross Ion with similar girth.
    LUX'Ottica

Quote Originally Posted by bruner
    Actually, it is a "pull-off-the-cap-and-write kinda thing". If you just need to use it in it's "half size" state, there is no need to screw anything. Just pull it off of the keychain attachment and write.

At least, that is what I gathered from the photos.

Dan

I think there is a Lamy that works rather well, one hand operation to full size if I remember correctly, Pico is it not? Unfortunately it doesn't have a clip.

Oh yeah for full sized pens - thumbs up the for Uniball Powertanks by Mitsubishi Pencil Company. Good ergos as mentioned, smooth writing, and dirt cheap, I got them at about equivalent to US$2 per pen, refills are half the price.

I just refilled mine but the clip broke yesterday, its after all a plastic pen. At $2 per piece, I can afford to loss it.

Wink2 Re: EDC Pen?

Hello, i usually EDC a RiteInTheRain all-wheather pen with a Tyflot pen lanyard (http://www.tyflot.com/wih.htm) but today i ordered a Tombow Object XL from www.penwa.com for 24.00 USD + 12.00 USD shipping to EU, and i spend less money than from a European dealer!
    Happy new spring to all CPFers

Interesting "sock" for such writing implements there Taro68.

I just purchase a Fisher Pen in black. It's great little one[der] that the others here have been raving about. The thing about it that "bugs" me is that the clip keeps on comming off. So right now, I just Locktite Blue'd it.

Wonder if a Gel or RollerBall one can be retrofitted in here rather than the BallPoint which I don't care for much.
    LUX'Ottica

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast