EDC Pen?

Flakey

Enlightened
I started with a benchmade griptilian (now upgraded to Aries 154CM), then i got a edc light, the c3 (now upgraded to U2) And in life i have found that there is one thing that i need to do alot, besides lighting somthing up, or cutting somthing open; and that is writing something down. I was wondering what you guys would suggest as far as an edc pen. I am looking for reliability and ink that comes out the first time, i hate having to go back and re-write letters because the ball decided to stop rolling. I would like somthing with a clip for the inside of my pocket. I am considering the Space Pen. what do you guys think?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Space pens are good, reliable pens. I keep a bullet pen in my jacket pocket along with a Gerber LST mini-folder and a Photon Freedom keychain light. The downside is that they can leave "ink boogers" from time to time. They are extremely reliable, but I would not describe them as fine writing instruments.

I keep a Cross Townsend in my shirt pocket for work.

Scott

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought a small (half the size of a bic pen) pen... the cap kept coming off in my pocket... so i ditched it...

hum... i'd be interested in more input...

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the Fisher bullet pen. Small and fairly good. Not too expensive, so losing it wont make you cry too much. I usually have two on me...one clipped in a pocket and another in my wallet.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flakey we have the same history. I EDC a leatherman, next I added a HDS60 to my EDC, and found out that I really need to EDC a pen cause its frustrating when you dont have one when you need it.

I prefered clicky without the hassle of a cap

Got a cheap pen by Mitsubishi Pencil Co. Its a Uni Power Tank
Write in extreme conditions with Power Tank, I think the ink catridges are pressurized.

this from their site:

Why worry about different pens for different places when one pen writes everywhere? Power Tank is the all-condition "uni" pen, able to write at any angle, on wet surfaces and even in temperatures as low as
-20°degrees Centigrade.

kennyj

Enlightened
Currently, I'm never without a Uniball Jetstream. It uses some sort of funky ballpoint / gel hybrid ink that lays down *very* smoothly for a ballpoint. It can be found in any stationary store for around $2 or $3, I've found.

I do want a pen that's better-built, but I don't like heavy pens (based on what I have owned so far.) I also own a Sensa Stylus with gel ink, which weighs in at about 1.5oz, and I find that it causes me to press down harder than I'd like, resulting in a thick line. I'm not fond of the soft grip either... while comfortable, it makes me grip harder to compensate for its "squishiness" and also robs me of some control. I do like its reassuring solid feel, though.

Interestingly, I find its .7mm point to be almost identical in smoothness to the Jetstream's 1mm point, but I prefer a light-handed writing style... so while the Jetstream barely touches the paper and leaves a thin and precise line, the Sensa unavoidably gets pressed down and leaves a thick line that my small handwriting doesn't agree with. Swinging that weight around also makes my hand tired much faster. Perhaps I'd have an easier time if the pen balanced differently, but I doubt the fatigue would go away.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyday carry on my person is a Sak Midnight Manager with pen, it is very handy. I carry a Fisher bullet pen in my jacket.

In my briefcase I carry a Cross, I fell in love with their feel years and years ago, with fine point, and a Berol Colormatics 5MM pencil.

I love the Colormatics it feels similar to the Cross but in a pencil, with a 5MM cushioned tip. They dont make them any more, so I bought the last 20 I could find so I would have them :).

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Lamy 2000 quad ink - 4 colors in a pen that doesn't look too techy. Only downside is the refills don't go that long, but you always have 3 backups!

teststrips

Enlightened
I've tried all kinds of pens ranging from space pens to other pens in the 50-60 dollar range. I've pretty much now just gone to cheap gel pens - they write so well, and they always write - no scribbling circles - ever. They do dry a bit slow as paper texture gets more glossy though. My specific fav pen now is the Pentel EnerGel pen with the 0.7mm ball. This pen has a clickie tailcap, that retracts when inserted into a shirt pocket. I used to have a miserable time trying to get stains out of the bottom of my shirt pockets, now there simply aren't any. Model on the pen is BL37-A - look at http://www.pentel.com.tr/pentel/bl37.asp for a pic of it (page not in english)

carrot

Flashaholic
My EDC pens are a Cross Ion and a Pentel RSVP pen. I like the way the RSVP writes really smoothly. I highly recommend the Cross Ion; not only does everyone tell me "nice pen," but they want to know how it works.

drizzle

Enlightened
beezaur said:
Space pens are good, reliable pens...The downside is that they can leave "ink boogers" from time to time.
:crackup: Very well said.

My EDC is a space pen because I can just put it in my pants pocket next to my Leatheman Micra and forget it's there till I need it. The good news for me is that I haven't noticed the "ink booger" problem in this pen. I have experienced it in years past so maybe Fisher has fixed it somehow.

I agree it is not a "fine" pen but it works for me as an EDC when I don't want to have to carry something bigger.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used Zebra F-301 Fine Point's for about the last 15 years. Used frequently for writing down hourly log readings at work, first in the Navy, now at a water plant. I have never had a pen explode in my pocket and only 2 failures that I can recall. Once when the pen was dropped onto a steel deck and landed directly on it's tip. The ball point would not roll after that. The second time was after a soda was spilled into the penholder in my truck and allowed to dry and gummed up the entire end of the pen. The rest of the time, I am very suprised when the pen stops writing and it is always due to there being absolutely no ink left in it. They seem to go forever.

xtalman

Newly Enlightened
I have a Cross Ion and an Inka pen. The Cross is a bit too bulky, but I prefer writing with it. The Inka is always on my keychain, ready when I need it.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the Victorinox Signature II and Manager II line; very small, the cartridge is replaceable and writes well, and of course you get all of the other SAK amenities (knife, scissors, file/flathead screwdriver- bottle opener/phillips on the Manager model). I wouldn't want to use it for writing novel, but for jotting down numbers on the fly it is perfect IMO.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Many good pens out there. . .My current EDCable pen is the A.T. Cross Ion in steel.