Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15.2mm

• 15.4mm

• Total voters

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spec appears to be 50mm long by 14mm diameter.

However, I have had problems inserting some batteries into torches, most notably the 49 led 3AA carrrier, which strips some nimh batteries upon insertion due to very tight fit.

Similarly, AA into single AA led light, especially Ghost 2, tight fit, almost creates a vacuum trying to eject AA.

So, here's a task, please measure your AA batteries, if you have the necessary accurate measuring evice, and post results here.

Slightly less accurate, wrap a strip of paper around the circumference of the AA, then divide length by 3.14 to get diameter.

Alkaline, nimh, Lithium, etc

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:

Slightly less accurate, wrap a strip of paper around the circumference of the AA, then divide length by 3.14 to get diameter.

I've just used this paper wrapping technique to compare AA diameters, and yes, there is a difference.

The standard Duracell circumference, noted on wrap, compared to "bulky" nimh, the nimh is approx 1mm more circumference (ie + 0.3mm dia). With 3 nimh in a carrier, this would be approx +0.45mm extra width to carrier (3*015mm) , yes it really is that tight in some torches.

Interesting to see your comparisons.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
Alkaline, nimh, Lithium, etc

I presume you know that there are an industry standards on the min/max range of dimensions for an AA cell. For diameter ANSI/NEDA/IEC all specify 13.5 to 14.5mm IIRC. If you are designing a light, beware of designing around the dimensions of a couple of cells that you just happen to have on hand. I know of at least one *highly regarded* custom builder that got bitten by that practice :ohgeez:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S said:
I presume you know that there are an industry standards on the min/max range of dimensions for an AA cell. For diameter ANSI/NEDA/IEC all specify 13.5 to 14.5mm IIRC. If you are designing a light, beware of designing around the dimensions of a couple of cells that you just happen to have on hand. I know of at least one *highly regarded* custom builder that got bitten by that practice :ohgeez:

Thanks, me...I'm just an end user.

Annoys me when I mess up 6 nimh battery casings due to someone else's "tightness".

Anyway, I'm now aware of the problem.

Last edited:

Anders

Enlightened
14,20 for Sanyo HR-3U 2500 MAh
14,24 for GP 1800 MAh
14,33 for Digital 2000 MAh
14,26 for Rayovac 2000 MAh "15minute"

Anders

Last edited: