Fenix L0P review - FlashlightReviews.com

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the below-5 Star (not that 4.5 Stars is bad) review is because of the runtime on the Alkaline, I wouldn't be supprised if you bumped it back up to 5 after running a NiMH test.

Thanks for the review and the temporary hiatus in your hiatus.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Great review, just a small typo, wasn't the fenix l0p a twisty( you forgot to change that in your fenix template:) )? sorry about the critism, but it was a little misleading. Good thing i chose the l1p instead of the l0p, runtimes too short for me, and again, :goodjob:

Taylorf

Enlightened
Very nice. I have wanted this light for a while but stil havent bought one. Is it a clickie like the review says in the Quick Facts Table or does it say that because becuase a lot of it was copied and pasted.

EDIT-Nevermind someone beat me it.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
looks like the peak pacific is going to be quite a bit brighter(they are fairly accurate with measuring the amount of light, it's brighter than the mckinley and the mckinley is brighter than the l0p.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Error? What error? :p

No, seriously, it's fixed now. Thanks. Constructive criticism is always appreciated. It's when I get snide comments that are thinly disguised as constructive criticism that I get ticked off. No problem!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
More constructive criticism here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To change out the battery: unscrew the tailcap, drop out the old cell, place in new cell observing proper polarity. Reattach the tailcap and you're ready to go.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should read:

To change out the battery: unscrew the bezel, drop out the old cell, place in new cell observing proper polarity. Reattach the bezel and you're ready to go.

BTW: Welcome back Kotter...er...uh...welcome back Doug!!! :) :D :twothumbs: :D :)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
If the below-5 Star (not that 4.5 Stars is bad) review is because of the runtime on the Alkaline, I wouldn't be supprised if you bumped it back up to 5 after running a NiMH test.

Thanks for the review and the temporary hiatus in your hiatus.

I doubt it... the runtime is SAD!

-David

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It's really a shame too. The LOP is a nice light, as it relates to beam, tint and form-factor, however Fenix missed the mark terribly as it relates to runtime. I have a Lux-III modded Arc-AAA that kicks the sh** out of the LOP. It runs regulated for 3-hours, has higher output and a wider beam.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Just imagine what the pacific would do. I guess fenix thought that saying that 32 minutes was a whopping runtime would have turned everyone off,lol

VWTim

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
It's really a shame too. The LOP is a nice light, as it relates to beam, tint and form-factor, however Fenix missed the mark terribly as it relates to runtime. I have a Lux-III modded Arc-AAA that kicks the sh** out of the LOP. It runs regulated for 3-hours, has higher output and a wider beam.

The thing is that's a mod light, the Fenix is something you can buy off the shelf and go. There's always something faster, lighter, better.....

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
VWTim said:
The thing is that's a mod light, the Fenix is something you can buy off the shelf and go. There's always something faster, lighter, better.....

True, but my point is, if an individual can do it (LED_ASAP) why wouldn't a company do it in a mass-production way? All we're talking about is properly mating an emitter with a circuit. Looking at the runtime of the LOP, I'm not quite sure why any electronics were put in there to begin with.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
True, but my point is, if an individual can do it (LED_ASAP) why wouldn't a company do it in a mass-production way? All we're talking about is properly mating an emitter with a circuit. Looking at the runtime of the LOP, I'm not quite sure why any electronics were put in there to begin with.

Not to mention that LED_ASAP did it some time ago, and the technology has gotten cheaper and better since (and Fenix could have looked to custom mods as models). I still feel that Fenix has broken some ground with their common-battery lights and price/quality, but there is certainly room for improvement. Perhaps next year we will be looking at the Fenix series as we look at the QIII this year :(.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
I doubt it... the runtime is SAD!

-David
Quickbeam has said that he generally considers minimum 1 hour before 50% to be the benchmark. With an alkaline, the L0P is pretty crappy, but it works pretty well with a NiMH--about an hour of good light, about 70 minutes before it hits 50%. It's not a runtime plot like an Arc AAA-P, but it's much brighter (and what do you want from a 1W AAA?).

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon my post whoring Doug, thought this info fit into the current line of discussion.

Fenix%20L0P%20-%20Ni-MH.png

Even on cheap generic cells it runs pretty well, but on a good 900 it does much better. If the new 1000mAh cells are indeed 1000mAh we should see a jump of about 5-10 minutes of usefull light.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chev! I'm charging a Nimh right now for the test.

A solitaire on a Nimh? Ick. I can't imagine how yellow the beam will be on only 1.2V. I'll fit in a alkaline plot for it soon.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Quickbeam,
The L0P on alkalines officially gets the "better have a drawer full of AAA batteries" award. I can see a "shoot-out" style comparison test of the L0P VS Pacific AAA coming soon. Since I have been spoiled by Arc AAA and Matterhorn AAA runtimes... I eagerly await the review on the Pacific to see if Peak's runtime charts hold up.
I wonder if MillerMods is trying to figure out how to fit the Pacific curcuit in the L0P? That would be interesting!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Quickbeam has said that he generally considers minimum 1 hour before 50% to be the benchmark. With an alkaline, the L0P is pretty crappy, but it works pretty well with a NiMH--about an hour of good light, about 70 minutes before it hits 50%. It's not a runtime plot like an Arc AAA-P, but it's much brighter (and what do you want from a 1W AAA?).

It is a AAA light, so it should preform well using AAAs, and not NIMHs.

-David