HID Cage-style shop/work light or conversion

spmclaugh

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I was doing some work on my car the other day, and my cheapo walmart 3 million candlepower halogen spotlight broke. I could probably fix it, but it was junk anyways (not even sure of the manufturer). I decided that when I replace it, I want to go with a proper "work light", ie something STATIONARY, not hand held, though a removable stand would be OK. Also, on my last light, I had TWO dedicated car-size batteries to power this thing, and sometime I'd go through them BOTH before I wanted to stop working. This thing really ate a lot of power (maybe not compared to some other lights on this forum, but still...)

Anyway, on my next light, I want either conventional HID (ie xenon), or metal halide. I guess I'd entertain the idea of fluorescent, or a home-made array of Luxeon 3W LED's with some type of cooling fan... But I think xenon would be the most conventional choice. I'd like it to project over a pretty wide angle, not a focussed beam. I want it to be a cage-light style, like the kind you see by Craftsman for "shop lights". I have seen exactly what I want in HID style from $300 to $600 (for the size I want), and I'm sure you could get them much bigger for more money. For example, JW Speaker Corp's model 9710 would be pretty good, but it's expensive.

That's just too much for me to spent right now, so I wanted to see if anyone had any cheaper ideas for stationary 12V high efficiency work lights (I could use 120V and an inverter, but I don't want any unneccessary power loss). I was thinking of retrofitting some HID's into a craftsman "host" to use its reflector and protective cage. Has anyone done this? Which type of "host" did you use, what type of ballast & bulb? Thanks

sean

spmclaugh

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and I forgot to post earlier that I'd almost prefer it NOT be too bright. I've seen some 1000 W HID ballasts on eBay, but that would just drain my battery packs too quickly. I'd say something under 200W max for battery life. Maybe even less depending on how many lumens that would give me with xenon. I don't want to be blinded... I'm guessing 75W would be plenty for working on my car at night.

By the way, the batteries I use are just 12V car batteries mounted in a plastic/rubber case that I got at Home Depot awhile back. The case has jumpers for starting a car and a 12V DC cigarette lighter style plug. I have an inverter, but I'd rather not use it.

EDIT: I didn't realize that the Harbor Freight HID spotlight put out 30 million candlepower with a 35W HID bulb. Maybe 75W would even be an overkill. I might just buy that light, but something with a bit more of a diffuse beam would be desirable.

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
spmclaugh said:
EDIT: I didn't realize that the Harbor Freight HID spotlight put out 30 million candlepower with a 35W HID bulb. Maybe 75W would even be an overkill. I might just buy that light, but something with a bit more of a diffuse beam would be desirable.

The Harbor Freight HID doesn't put out 30 MCP or any where near that rating, it's highly over exaggerated and bogus.

It's still a good buy if you don't need something highly man portable but I'm not sure it would be the best for you needs.

HID work lights or cage lights are available a fluorescent work light would be a good option also. I have seen them in the past but I can't find the link right now :thinking:

Later
Kelly

spmclaugh

Newly Enlightened
Sway said:
The Harbor Freight HID doesn't put out 30 MCP or any where near that rating, it's highly over exaggerated and bogus.

It's still a good buy if you don't need something highly man portable but I'm not sure it would be the best for you needs.

HID work lights or cage lights are available a fluorescent work light would be a good option also. I have seen them in the past but I can't find the link right now :thinking:

Later
Kelly

Hi.

I have seen fluorescent lights in a couple styles. One would be the cage-style I was talking about earlier, such as the "52watt Fluorescent Cool Zone Worklight" ( http://www.designersedge.com/Worklights_CoolZone_Fluorescent.html ). I've also seen a model like that, but on a big pedestal, which I actually don't need. Cooper also makes a similar light ( http://doityourself.com/store/8753014.htm ). Then there are fluorescent drop lights, many of these are out there. I guess I'd have to try them to judge for myself, but I have a feeling I will want just a little bit more than what I've seen as far as fluorescents.

For metal halide, I like the looks of the Designer's Edge L-4202 ( http://82.165.178.48/de/productdetail.php?iid=538 ).

For HID, the JW Speaker Corp 9710 looks ideal but costs $558 ( http://shop.store.yahoo.com/jwspeaker/lightingsystem.html ). Then there are a whole bunch of handheld spotlights, like the Harbor Freight 30mcp HID, the Optronics Night Blaster, etc. But unless it's really a good deal and suited to my application, I would rather not get a handheld.

I also saw some of those "Wobble Lights" that use HID. Those are pretty cool.

BTW I'd like to keep this under $150. I was thinking that if I went the "custom" route, I could get a basic "cage" worklight to use as the host for about $30 (small model with no telescoping pedestal). I've seen 12V xenon ballasts go for around $50 on eBay, as long as they aren't brand-name like Hella, they're usually pretty cheap. And if the auction doesn't include bulbs, no big deal, they're not that expensive either. Whole thing should be well under $150... right? Might have to mount the ballast outside the main housing, but no big deal.