Importing US flashlights...

hardrock42

Newly Enlightened
Ive recently bought a Gladius Night Ops of Ebay. The seller is in the US. He has stated his shipping costs into the UK. However, does anybody know of the Customs and Excise charges wich one would have to pay when the toch goes through the UK customs? Mine cost US $179.99 then $33.00 for the Postage and Packaging.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8770666163

That is the torch i bough. I selected the "$33.00 UPS: Global Express Mail (EMS) 3-5 Day Ship time and Insured With Tracking Number..."

Does anybody know how much I should expect to pay in custom charges for such a torch? Has somebody already orderd their Gladius like this? How much did you pay?

I looked about on the HM Revenue & Customs web page and I could not fine costs for "torches". However Im sure its going to be taxed. I'd be greatefull if anybody could let me know. Thanks.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is 17.5% + post office handeling fee.

I always as if the seller will declare a value of $30 or less before i buy.

all small orders £18 or under pay no import duty.

regards.

Heck

Enlightened
In your post you wrote UPS, but in the auction it is USPS.

If it WAS shipped UPS you would be paying huge brokerage fees on top of your customs duty taxes.

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about flashlights, but for some goods you have to pay duty as well. For some things this can be as high as 50%! Check with the customs people.

On the other hand I recently sent home a brand new computer from the US to the UK, declared it's proper value and never got asked to pay VAT or duty. So YMMV...

Pook

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that The_Beast is correct on that... you have to pay import duty on almost everything..

I believe you would have to pay VAT + Import Duty + Handling fee..

As Heck said its USPS rather than UPS - which is good, as UPS *always* charge you for everything they can so they get there handling fee - which is shockingly high.

(Fingers crossed) I've imported a lot of stuff from the US and as long as the parcel is relatively small, It seems on the whole they don't bother to check the import label.

So avoid UPS like the plague :)

Piers

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That only occurs with UPS Standard (Ground) to Canada. The brokerage fee is included in their other international shipping services. The lowest cost alternative for Canada (and all other international shipping) inclusive of any brokerage fees is by UPS Worldwide Expedited.

Heck said:
If it WAS shipped UPS you would be paying huge brokerage fees on top of your customs duty taxes.