What is the best fire starter?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too, am putting together a "first aid" / emergency kit. My family got kind of hammered in Rita, which is why I'm thinking about it now.
There are a few things I don't know anything about, like a fire starter gadget. I threw a couple of disposable lighters in it, but I want something more dependable.
The next is some type of camp cooking apparatus, like those hexamine stoves etc. I bought one at County Comm for about 8$, I think. Is that good enough? I dont want to open it to check it out because it's packaged so well.
I'm going to get one of those Pelican 0370(?) cases to put this home kit in. It's damn expensive, but it will last me for the rest of my life. Looks like I can get one for under 250$ I want to have room for dry clothes and blankets, that's why I'm looking at a 24"x24"x24" case. I figure even if the house falls in on it, the contents will still be good, if I can dig the case out.
Um, hmm. I've rambled.
So, what's a good fire starter?

-edit-- Oh, cost isn't an issue, obviously. If I'm going to spend this much for the case, I want the contents to be top shelf.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, as far as magnesium firestarters, I've heard several accounts that Doan magnesium firestarters are the only way to go, as the flint can get seperated on other, inferior brands. TADGear apparently stocks them, but I've never ordered there.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use magnesium metal blocks.
to use them you shave off a bunch of shavings then ignite with a spark, burns very hot. The commercially available firestarters have a magnesium block with a flint striker on one side.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
T.A.D. gear is a very good store, with great customer service. I have placed many orders with them and always been satisfied.

So, those mag blocks with the striker in them are good? Aren't they only like 5$?

nightshade

Enlightened
Shankus, cool to see you posting. The disadvantage of the Magnesium fire starters is the shavings are very easily blown away in even the slightest breeze. The resulting ignition is very,very brief under the best of conditions. A good fire starting kit is small, lightweight and inexpensive and should consist of NATO boat matches, magnesium firestarters, strike anywhere matches, butane lighter, firesteels and cotton balls dipped in petro-jelly,etc. County Comm sells a excellent firesteel in a sealed package. Buy extras to practice with.The most beneficial aspect of fire starting with non-standard means is practice, practice, practice. Every option has weak points. Fire seems easy until one is in a damp, cold, windy, miserable environment.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple ounces of Potassium Permanganate and a small bottle of glycerin work very well too, just make sure you keep them separated until you want fire! :wow:

I picked up a pound at my local Home Depot recently. They were clearing it out for about $4 for a 1 lb. container.

Peter

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
powdered rust plus aluminum powder, but don't try it, its called thermite and can be very dangerous with out the proper care.

carrot

Flashaholic
LitFuse said:
A couple ounces of Potassium Permangenate and a small bottle of glycerin work very well too, just make sure you keep them separated until you want fire! :wow:
What's the 'common' household name for the stuff? Do I just walk into Home Depot and ask for KMnO4?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Filter-Mate Potassium Permanganate, It's used in water filtration. I don't know if it's being cleared out nationwide or not.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought we were trying to start a fire here, not perforate an engine block or do some field expedient welding... :p

Peter

Morelite said:
powdered rust plus aluminum powder, but don't try it, its called thermite and can be very dangerous with out the proper care.