Learning to appreciate the "dimmer" lights.

tron3

Banned
When I started my flashaholic obsession, to me, brighter was better. If it wasn't a 5w Luxeon LED, I didn't want it. Basically 3w was for EDC.

But the Fenix L0P and L1P changed my mind. True, they still suck a fair amount of juice, but look at the run times that "dim led's" afford. A few models out there run for DAYS ON END. Should I be faced with another blackout like in '03, I wonder if my current lights will have the run time I need.

Yet another reason why I try only to get the multilevel lights because they save power. In general, even my 3w Inova X03 will give me longer run times than a 5w model. (Barring differences in circuitry, batteries, etc.)

There are plenty of times when dimmer light is preferred. I may need to find myself a good long running light or three, now.
:bumpit:

cslinger

Enlightened
I am a dimmer, utility light, kind of person myself. I like having the option of high beams so to speak but use dimmer light 90% of the time. I can make a battery last for damn ever in something like an HDS EDC, Surefire L1 or A2.

Chris

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the dimmest settings on the HDS are its best selling points. Anybody can make a light brighter, but it takes real genius to design in the other direction. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately! For actual outdoor use, I greatly prefer a very dim light... Of course, I like having a VERY bright light handy in case I feel it's needed, but for the most part, the Infinity Ultra is about the brightest I like to use for walking in very rural areas. I am also coming to prefer as large a hotspot as possible and as little difference between the hotspot and the spillbeam as possible.

My very favorite light for such outdoor use is a $.97 plastic PR base 2xAA light I got from Walmart. It has a Sino Union 5mm PR 'bulb' and has a wide faceted reflector which I then sputtered... Super wide beam, super diffused. The hostspot is probably 30% the width of the spillbeam and maybe only 2X or 3X as bright as the spillbeam.

Doesn't hurt that it runs for about 80 hours on a set of cells, either.

IMG_2327a.jpg

firefly99

Enlightened
I always believe too much light is an overkill most of the time, especially if a dimmer light will be sufficient to get the job done.

Agree on the points mention in other posts.

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
Me too. All I wanted was throw. It had to throw 500ft. or it was no good. But now I find so many more uses for the A1. It's throws just enough and has a lot of spill. Didn't like it at first, but now I do. It's just that much more functional.

Luxman

Enlightened
I also consider a "Low Light level" very important. The HDS and Gladius lights are good at this. ... And this is my Major complaint on the SF U2.. very poor Low Light level..