Finish comming off M3?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I just got my M3 a week ago and it seems like the finish is comming off the knurling (switch end). I've read where you are supposed to be able to saw through a maglite with these things. It looks like the wear is comming from the surefire holster that I have for it. It also looks like a tiny chip in the finish near on the switch too. I haven't even banged it against anything. And why would the surefire holster be making the knurling shiny allready? It looks like the knurling is starting to get warn down where is comes in contact with the retaining spring in the holster. What is up with this? I wanted this light to stay in mint condition but it seems like the holster is eating it up. Is this normal? What should I do? Thought these were indistructable. Thanks

Aaron

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't know about that part on the tail switch end. Maybe SureFire concentrated more on the bodies than on the tail switches? I have "slight" weathered look on my SureFire M3's tail end, but not down to the metal in the white.

carrot

Flashaholic
HA3 is very hard, but will wear down over time. The wear you are seeing on the knurling is normal, so you shouldn't worry about it. People have noted this issue with the speed holsters before, and a little wear on the HA3 will not affect performance or durability at all. In my opinion, HA3 is more for aesthetics and keeping the light looking brand new, rather than actually needed for any sort of structural integrity.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I won't worry about it then. Atleast its only on the switch and not the rest of the body. I was just worried a little as this is one of my favorite lights so far:) Thanks

Aaron

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 'speed' holsters are designed for function first - any marks or scratches are the result of sufficient retention being considered more useful than cosmetics.

I've found that marks on HA are often what is left behind from whatever you tried to scratch it with.

However, Hard Anodise is a growth perpendicular to the substrate. At corners and edges etc there is little substrate for the HA to grow from. The substrate is relatively soft and can be deformed more easily when it is exposed as an edge.

From what you've said I wouldn't be concerned. Your M3 is a tool after all.

Al

CLHC

Flashaholic
SureFire "M3 is a tool after all." That's the phrase that was on the tip of my tongue but couldn't "pen" it down.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Aaron,

Provided the HA3 is only coming off the tailcap why worry? New tailcaps are fairly easy to pick up new or secondhand. If you use your Surefire then it will 'acquire' marks at some point. The whole point of Surefires is to provide illumination in situations where lesser lights just role over and die! With your Surefire it will just keep on working with or without cosmetic marks!

Doug

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that spring in a SF speedholster is kind of rough on the finish. I only use one with my G2Z and there is absolutely zero cosmetic damage. Maybe a LOTC G2 tailcap would do the trick? :)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly if you want your flashlight to remain in mint condition, keep in it in a box or on a shelf. If you want to take it out and carry it, expect it to get wear of one sort or another. A Surefire can saw through a Maglite, but it doesn't mean its HAIII finish will remain intact if doing so.

-Keith

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I'm not going to let it bother me anymore, the light is mostly used for work so fuctionality is more important than looks. And atleast its only the tail cap. It doesn't really look that bad so it'll be ok:) Thanks

Aaron