The lucky US flashaholics

hardrock42

Newly Enlightened
I have to say, having used this forum for several days, there is a large degree of knowledge on flashlites here. However naturaly, there is a majority of US based website/retailer recomendations... are there any in the UK which we can be proud of?
We have Maplins electrical suppliers... but that is nothing compared to the Sandwich Shop. I personaly do no know any good "Made in England torches". Let alone Knives!

Im an aspiring torch collector. However I generaly would like to get a feel of the torch before I buy one. Plus you also get it relativley quickly when in the UK, without having to filddle about with exchange rates and delivery times, waiting at the door for the delivery man!

This is, I accept, a rather odd appeal; however, are there ANY good/reliable/relativley cheap, torch stores in the UK? or even Online ones!

NOTE: I dont mind the US stores, infact i like them, however the exchage rate charges and Customs charges rip the cash out of my card when i buy online!

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I have to agree to a certain extent, everything I have come across in the UK that can be bought in the US will be about twice the price! I often find it cheaper to buy from the US (Lighthound usually, or ebay), and pay the shipping, safe in the knowledge that it STILL costs less than if I bought it in the UK.

Example: B90 battery stick, I can get a 'military' price from the UK importers, of around £15, I have bought some through CPF and paid around £8. One UK retailer charges £34 for one B90 stick (that's around $62 US).

Whether it's lamps, batteries, parts or whole lights, I find that Lighthound has what I want, and I get it in around 6 days usually, USA to Scotland, which is quicker than the UK retailers can get it from the importer for me to handle and buy.

I'm glad to see that ORB has reversed the balance, and is quite sought after in the US, naturally I have one, and I was pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced they are (If only they'd make a totally titanium version....)

Almost forgot, OpticsHQ (a CPF member) has a permenant group buy coupon running on their website, I got my Surefire M4 from there, and saved lots.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm here in sunny old blighty, churning out torches/flashlights making a living from a passion that has become my business.:grin2:

Quote: Rafgroundcrew
I'm glad to see that ORB has reversed the balance, and is quite sought after in the US, naturally I have one, and I was pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced they are (If only they'd make a totally titanium version....)

Take a look at the new site more closely: I have & do offer all designs in Solid Titanium.:cool:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could save £20 ish if you just want the Raw Ti Case! In other words £150 Minus £20 Total £130.

Monolith

Enlightened
orb said:
You could save £20 ish if you just want the Raw Ti Case! In other words £150 Minus £20 Total £130.
Are there some type of drop in 2 stage switches available as well?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope! The two stage is on the LED/PCB.
You can see the Low contact pin here:
ns7.jpg

Monolith

Enlightened
orb said:
Nope! The two stage is on the LED/PCB.
You can see the Low contact pin here:
You mean I'd have to disturb those U-bins? :awman:

Will the newer style Ti bodies work with the original style RAWs?

d123

Newly Enlightened
Surprised no-one has mentioned Heinnie Heynes, pretty good collection of stock in the UK, have a look at www.heinnie.com

Direct link to flashlight section
here

Last edited:

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
d123 said:
Surprised no-one has mentioned Heinnie Heynes, pretty good collection of stock in the UK, have a look at www.heinnie.com

Direct link to flashlight section
here

If you buy from a UK supplier (particularly of the high end brands) you need your head tested. You can buy far cheaper from the States and have it shipped. You MIGHT get hit for duty but it will still be far cheaper.

The exception to this is the ORB. UK made, good prices, quality kit. Buy a Raw now!

HTH

Dave