Guitar people!! Here's my new baby!

LaserFreak

Enlightened
Now...change everything that's White on this to Black, change the knobs to black, and of course, since it's an Epiphone, change out all the electronics (including the pickups) to Gibson wiring, pots, and the switch, and maybe some Seymour Duncan pickups and this will be just as good as a Gibson, if not better, at half the cost of a Gibson Les Paul.

LesPaulStandard2.jpg

LaserFreak

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Half the ost even after all the changes?
bk

Of course, it really depends on what pickups you put in it, and providing you do the work yourself...it'll cost an extra $200 or so...basically, you get a Gibson Les Paul for around $800-$900 as opposed to $1200-$2500...hell, even $3000 for a decent Gibson.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played guitar since I was six years old. I've been away from it for quite a while, but have been visiting music stores again. I always thought the Paul Reed Smith was a very nice guitar as well as the G&L guitars for a more traditional route. But I've played a particular Parker with a clear stained wood finish that is absolutely incredible. Don't think I'd actually buy it, but it is a seriously sweet playing guitar.

Actually though I've always had Strat models, I think if I were to get another guitar at this point, it would be a modernized Tele... Semi hollow body with a traditional humbucker bolted directly to the body in the bridge position and the single coil in the neck. Robin used to make a very nice guitar similar to this. I don't know if they are even still around.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with it, man. One of my students recently got an Epiphone Les Paul, and another one got the Epiphone SG. With a proper setup they both play excellent.

I love the color! I think it even looks better on your Standard with rosewood and trapezoids, instead of the Custom. Yours looks fantastic.

I'm going to check out your site and forum, and I invite you to check out mine as well. Link is in my sig below. Enjoy your new stringed companion!

Hey, Cratz2. You've only posted 1 message on my board. :poke: :nana:

LaserFreak

Enlightened
Bimmerboy said:
Good luck with it, man. One of my students recently got an Epiphone Les Paul, and another one got the Epiphone SG. With a proper setup they both play excellent.

I love the color! I think it even looks better on your Standard with rosewood and trapezoids, instead of the Custom. Yours looks fantastic.

I'm going to check out your site and forum, and I invite you to check out mine as well. Link is in my sig below. Enjoy your new stringed companion!

Hey, Cratz2. You've only posted 1 message on my board. :poke: :nana:

Thanks! Can't wait to get it...unfortunately, this particular color is so hot now, the stores can't keep them in stock...they all disappear rather quickly, so I'll have to order it and wait two weeks. GC said they could transfer one from another store, but couldn't guarantee it's condition since they were all floor models (scratches, dings, chips...etc)..If there are going to be any imperfections in my guitar, they're coming from my mistakes...not other people's.

You won't be able to check out my site though...unfortunately I didn't have enough traffic on the site to keep it running...the board is still up though...you can at least see the song's I've written.....thanks in advance for checking it out!

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! Nice Les Paul. Beautiful grain and a sweet looking blue. I'd keep the white and more white, like the knobs etc.

I built a blue/purple custom strat that I gig'd with for a few years and I added white pick guard, white knobs and painted the 1/4" plug plate white. It has Black Floyd Rose, Seymore Duncan Screamin' Demon humbucker with two pairs of Seymore Duncan Hotrails. I added a mid boost when you pull up the tone knob and you can split all the three humbuckers to single coil by lifting up the volume knob. Great tone and sound, sort of like the sound that Ritchie Kotzen on his old solo albums. Also it has a scalloped fretboard just like my Fender Stratocaster Yngwie Malmstein custom edition. That has stacked HS3 single coil humbuckers.

blah blah blah, I could talk all day about guitar and mucis stuff :crazy:

Congrats on the Gibson, she's a beaut'

LaserFreak

Enlightened
My other guitar is a Fender Squier Strat and I've done some Mod work to it.

I replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail single coil humbucker..now it's the only pickup I use on that guitar...I had to special order a black pickguard for it because the standard strat pickguards don't fit...specifically the screw positions..black knobs for the volume and two tone knobs, and the selector switch is also black now. I've also replaced the junk squier tuners with actual Fender tuners, Floyd Rose locks (had no need for the tremelo since I play rhythm). Oh...and it's got a dark blue body. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow........

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Gorgeous guitar! I wonder how many CPF'ers are also guitarists. Been playing a strat myself for about 26yrs.

cfb

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still playing my fiberglass Ovation from 25 years ago.

It isn't a great guitar, but I never felt like I could afford anything better.

It makes my wife happy to hear me play... so I guess it is "OK".

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't anyone strike me down, but I've never particuarly cared for Les Pauls and SGs and the like... I can play fine with them standing up, and I don'd mind the extra weight of the Les, but I can't play the Les Paul setting down at all...

Just on Sunday, I was playing an Epiphone SG (forget the exact specs, but it was about $800) through one of the bigger dollar Fender tube amps... It was a VERY sweet playing guitar. I'm not nearly as fast as I used to be, but it played as smoothly as any high end Jackson or Kramer I've ever played on. I was impressed... though I hate how they look.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always loved the feel of and sound of a Les Paul but like an unfinished neck. I also prefer an archtop and frameless pickups. So when I got a chance to get my Peavey Wolfgang, I jumped on it. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!
Amber%20flame%20ST%20-%20top.jpg

Amber%20f

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
lotsalumens said:
I wonder how many CPF'ers are also guitarists. Been playing a strat myself for about 26yrs.

I'm reminded of a thread sometime in the first half of last year where I was very pleasantly surprised to find out how many guitarists we have here.

Hey, Josh. I also would recommend not changing the trim color and leaving it white. It does go real nice with the blue, and matches the binding around the body. A duncan is always a great idea though.

And speaking of Floyds, would you believe I have one on my Les Paul Custom? It's wild. And yep, it was routed all the way through. There's a backplate on it just like a Strat or Ibanez... hehe. I'll see if I can take some pics today.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
lotsalumens said:
Gorgeous guitar! I wonder how many CPF'ers are also guitarists. Been playing a strat myself for about 26yrs.

cfb

I play guitar. I have lots of them. :)

rikvee

Enlightened
mmm...., guitars, well, in the long dark nights before flashlight collecting, I spent half a lifetime comparing pickups (100), amps (60-odd) and may, many axes (150+).
Epiphone provide excellent value, but even after changing various parts you may find, as I did, that a Japanese made Tokai Love Rock is so good, it beats many US -made Gibbos.
Famous LP ('Pearly Gates') player Billy Gibbons also plays a Tokai, folks!
The reason is the woods, the finish, and the way the neck is joined onto the body (a longer tenon).

The humbucker pickups that'll take you beyond Seymour Duncan (and Gibson's own '57 Classic) are the ones made by Peter Florance

Last edited:

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Im not too big on the Fenders and Gibsons and such for some reason. But I do love my Ibanez EX :rock:. I also like Jackson's as well.

rikvee

Enlightened
these little beauties can actually sound better than anything with laminated woods and thick finishes...

6264.jpg

Two US Epiphone Coronets made at the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan in '62 and '64.