Smith & Wesson Galaxy Series

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I wonder how long it will be till the Smith & Wesson brand of feminine hygiene products make their debut?

I'd consider the light as just another dual output light. There are a ton of these type of lights (Check Target) out in the market. I'd go with Streamlight Twintask series if I was looking for a reliable brand name. They aren't surefire quality but they have a good reputation and the lights are well made and reasonably priced. I didn't see a price on that S&W but I've yet to see anything branded S&W that was anything but average quality.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xochi,

I'll be honest, I am a Streamlight fan, but the incan. beam on the TT 2L and 1L, both of which I've owned, is pretty bad---bright (esp. the 2L)--- yes, but weird shape, lots of artifacts, and mediocre throw. OTOH, the Xenergy 3-in-1 (Nuwai AL-606), which I have bought, sold, and bought again, has a very nice focused xenon beam, and the 6LED option puts out a very good flood.

Your comment on the "broad" S&W product line is right on :crackup: , but I noticed the pretty shape to these little S&W numbers, and was hoping that the 9 LED version might be even an improvement on the Xenergy.

Regards,

Andrew

P.S. I don't have my MB3W from Emilion yet, either--- a slow boat, indeed.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Okay, the post is almost a year old but HEY!! I CAN CONTRIBUTE!

I just tonight compared a Galaxy 9X to an A2. I'm not an expert or even close but I'll give it a go:

Of course the A2 blew it away (crap. . . I already messed up, that line goes at the END under "conclusions!). But when you consider that you can buy around 5 Galaxy's for the price of 1 A2, it's not all that bad! The LED output on the Galaxy was much stronger than the A2 but I'm sure it was designed that way, since the A2's low led setting is meant for reading or other close up work. That and the 9x really does have NINE LED's.

The xenon (or incad) was not even close for the S&W. On the S&W you had to "focus" the beam (which is not really focus-able, you're simply unscrewing the lens cap slightly) to get rid of the shadows, holes and artifacts. The A2 was much more powerful, despite the lower lumen rating (50 for the A2 and 66 for the S&W). Of course the A2's xenon beam was flawless compared to even the (improperly) focused S&W's pathetic, 66 lumen beam.

Then of course there's SIZE to consider! They both use the same 2x cr123 batteries but the S&W is significantly larger. I do like the S&W's forward buttons but then again the A2 has two different ways to turn it on and off (tail button AND twist).

So as the old story goes . . . you pay for what you get! I would say the S&W Galaxy 9x can be looked at as a "poor man's Surefire A2" but if you have the "$cratch," you'll be much happier with the A2. It's much smaller, better built, has an eye pleasing, more useable "low" setting, has a longer run time (efficiency) based on the specs (50L vs 66L), and most importantly . . . throws a MUCH better beam. The A2 even blew away it's cheaper brother/sister, the G2. The ONLY advantage I can give the Galaxy 9X is the much brighter LED side . . . but again, the A2 was not designed to compete with itself on which type of light was brighter where the S&W does just that.

:candle: