Surefire E2E UV head?

DEEAR

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have been interested in getting a UV flashlight for use in my practice, and would like to know if there are any upgrades to the Surefire E series heads that will enable them to work? I currently have three modded E2E heads that were bored out to accept Opalec Newbeam LED mods, and I absolutely LOVE them. I saw that TerraLux offers a similar module to the Opalec that uses 4 UV LEDs, and was curious if anyone had modified it in the same fashion to fit in an E series light:

http://www.theledlight.com/pdf/Terralux/UV.pdf

Barring this, I noticed that Inova also makes UV lights. Any word on how the X1 UV performs? Thanks, looking forward to hearing responses!

D-R

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What wave length do you need? Chop does some very nice ExE white LED mods but if you can find a UV LED that you like I'd imagine he could put one in for you. Both Nichia (365nM) and Cree (390nM) offer high output UV LEDs.

-LT

DEEAR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses! I am looking for a good longwave UV head (390 NM would be best). I am an acupuncurist, and see alot of dermatology cases. UV is great for determining the extent of certain skin conditions, and I want something I can drop onto a 1XCR123A or 2XCR123A body. The Aleph heads look really great. Also noticed that Inova makes a UV variant of the X1. Anybody have experience with it? Thanks again!

D-R

cy

Flashaholic
X1 does not put off a lot UV. an X5 UV puts out lots of flux.
if you need only a concentrated spot, then X1 is the ticket.

I've got a new X5 available. please PM if interested

cree makes a one watt UV aprox. 390 nano that could be inserted very easily into CR2 ion.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound has an Aleph19 head with a Wiz2 (1 or 2 CR123) driving a Cree Xlamp UV LED that peaks at 395 nm. It puts out quite a bit of UV, will fit on the E2 body, and is $120.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Be warned though that the Aleph19 UV is quite bright when compared to other UV lights, especially those with 5mm LEDs.
bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am not so knowledgeable in this area, but the my Aleph UV runs at 333mA and stomps an Inova X5-UV in total output, beam quality and especially throw. IIRC the versions at the Shope are driven even higher? The McR-19 reflector is designed specifically for the Cree LED and does a very nice job at focussing this beast.
bernie