...I've hit a new low

AlexSchira

Enlightened
For a few months now, I've been carrying a modified LED Mini Mag on my belt in a leather holster. And several times a day, some one mentions it to me if I don't untuck my shirt over it.
I also own an iPod.
Why am I telling you this? Because I bought a sport case for it after I bought it, which included an elastic arm band for the gym. It's an unusual, total hook/loop elastic dealie wit a cloth loop sewn through the middle that's for the belt clip on the sport case.
So, sick of hearing '...Nice flashlight...' from complete creeps, I strapped the aport band around my lower leg over my sock, slipped a Mini Mag with a clip on it bezel-down up through the loop, and have found that this Polish holster holds the Mini Mag securely concealed under the leg of my jeans, even while jumping around or running. No accidental activation, even, very comfortable to wear. And it's very easy to draw, I just reach under the cuff of the jeans and pull it out.
A few days of not using the belt holster later, some one asks me.
"Did...you just pull a flashlight out of your sock?"
...No...I have a concealed holster for it.
I'll post pictures if this doesn't get deleted. Please...some one tell me they've done something similar, I don't want to be a freak among freaks.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You are officially a freak among freaks. :crackup: J/K

I've wondered about concealing a light somehow.
That seems like a nice setup, do post pics, please!

ubermensch

Enlightened
I used to carry a boot knife, but never a boot flashlight (although I did design a pouch for just this purpose). Friends do mock my "utility belt" though.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who is more likely to see a small firearm carried in that manner, I'd suggest exercising some caution using that holster at work. Someone might misinterpret your intentions. ;)

AlexSchira said:
...No...I have a concealed holster for it.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
That's why I stopped wearing it around my thigh, got more looks than the belt holster did.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alex,

An ankle holster for a flashlight! Next you will be hanging around Dunkin Donuts in the middle of the night! I think you better apply to the police dept. for a job.

John

Perel

Newly Enlightened
I've thought about using an ankle/boot holster for carrying a backup light. My main concern is the same as Brighteyez - might look like I was reaching for something a bit more threatening.

I wouldn't think that clipping a $1 LED keychain cheapie to my shoelace would be as likely to be misinterpreted as an actual ankle holster, though.. any other ideas on making this less threatening? It really is a practical way to make sure I always have a backup light on me.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
We should put together a "Concealed Light Permit" license and badge, so if anyone questions, you could whip it out and proclaim: "Oh it's ok, I have a permit to carry this light."

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I first tried it as a joke...but it works. I barely even feel the light through my sock, the elastic and the clip keep it tightly strapped, and there's no risk of it turning on and putting a spotlight on my shoe.
But like you said, it's a risky way to carry a backup light. I just trust the Mini Mag design too much to leave it at home, even carrying a Surefire. It's almost easier to pull it off my lelg than to dig out of my pockets. Concealment was a major factor, I've worked with and know enough cops to know not to try carrying a Leatherman like this. This isn't a 'stay-under-radar' self defense nut situation...it's carrying a flashlight. I wouldn't rely on this for EDC, this is just if my pocket light doesn't cut it. I'll post pictures within the week. Truly, this little armband I use could only fit a Mini Mag at the thickest.

magic79

Enlightened
Maybe I'm paranoid...

But, if I were a cop and saw you grabbing something from your ankle holster, I might just meet you with a drawn firearm.

You might want to rethink that. Simply saying "thanks!" when someone says "nice flashlight" might be more healthy.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
LuxLuthor said:
We should put together a "Concealed Light Permit" license and badge, so if anyone questions, you could whip it out and proclaim: "Oh it's ok, I have a permit to carry this light."
Here ya' go!

This site allows you to put together some pretty fine looking shields - but they cost a few $$!

New meaning to "Concealed Carry" for sure! :D

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually mine was more of a joke than a concern. I think Alex mentioned the other day that he worked for a large urban police department in the Midwest (civilian employee?). Hence the tease about being "careful at work".

Perel said:
My main concern is the same as Brighteyez - might look like I was reaching for something a bit more threatening.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
More often than not, guys who wear ankle holsters are more likely to be cops than bad guys. I've yet to see a female officer use an ankle holster.

magic79 said:
Maybe I'm paranoid...

But, if I were a cop and saw you grabbing something from your ankle holster, I might just meet you with a drawn firearm.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Indeed, I'm a supply grunt. Hence the original idea of an ankle-light, my job involves mostly supply checks and permanent marker handling. I like to shamelessly mingle with the real cops and give myself fancy titles, usually wearing mirrored sunglasses and crossing my arms 24/7. There are a few civilians who do it for real. I've used the police dept placement to get a deal on some ASP batons and the occasional light. These other marker-pushers seem to think the job requires a gun.
So, when a scrawny guy saunters into the rec room with the traffic control shades and a flashlight in a boot holster, the joke becomes so much more.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well in the military, it doesn't hurt to be in good with the quartermaster.
And it doesn't hurt to be in the good graces of the supply person at any job, whether it is in the civil or public sectors :).

"Traffic control shades" in the rec room? ... so what's up, is someone starting a poker game? Has the guy been watching too much poker on TV? :)

AlexSchira said:
Indeed, I'm a supply grunt. Hence the original idea of an ankle-light, my job involves mostly supply checks and permanent marker handling. I like to shamelessly mingle with the real cops and give myself fancy titles, usually wearing mirrored sunglasses and crossing my arms 24/7. There are a few civilians who do it for real. I've used the police dept placement to get a deal on some ASP batons and the occasional light. These other marker-pushers seem to think the job requires a gun.
So, when a scrawny guy saunters into the rec room with the traffic control shades and a flashlight in a boot holster, the joke becomes so much more.