Bump in the night light

kbog

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks. Looking for a good, bright spotlight that is not overly cumbersome or expensive. I have read TONS on this forum and am aware of the Thors, which come highly recommended for the money. They are soooo big though. A 9" reflector seems crazy to me.

I need a light to look into my backyard (only about 70 feet to property line). Behind me is all woods and I would like to see fairly deep into them if possible. Currently, I have a cheap 250,000CP light. I lost the charger and so it is about dead. Seems like an upgrade would be a good move.

It would be nice if I could buy the light locally, but I am a good online shopper too. Something under $50? Dorcy 3MCP? Smaller Thor? Any others that I am missing worth a look?

Thanks.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Check out the Brinkmann Spotlights available at most local hardware stores and WalMart. There's a nice over-and-under one that's also lightweight and plenty bright.

Then there's the Vector with the CCFL on it's back plus LED on the bottom of the handle. These variants are "pistol-grip" types and are priced below $50.00. Caveat, you get what you pay for—

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Blazer

Enlightened
Along the lines of looking out the backyard in the night, I just this past weekend used my Mag951 (made by Juancho) to scare off somebody.

My family (myself, wife and two kids) were up north for March break at my parent's ski chalet (northern Ontario). In every direction is pitch black so when a car drives by or comes up the driveway it's quite noticable. At one point about 10:30 pm my wife says, hey, there's a car stopped on the road in front of our place. The road is about 200 feet away with a long driveway from the road to the building. We look out and there's someone in a ski outfit, black helmet, black goggles (remember it's pitch black out) creeping up the driveway (in a crouched position coming slowly up the driveway. I hit him from the upstairs deck with the Mag951 when he was about halfway up the driveway (about 100 feet). He stopped dead in his tracks, turned around and ran back to the vehicle.

We don't know who it was and what he/she was up to but the Mag951 was a definite asset that night. We speculate it was someone who thought he was somewhere else and was going to play a trick on some friends, but you never know.

Latest posts