The murder of an LED

xdanx

Enlightened
I hate my solitaire mod. I have a blue radioshack LED in it and i am going to run it off of a 12 volt A23 battery. Is there any thing dangeous about this? just thought i should ask before i do it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've been told/read the internal resistance on those batts is pretty high. You'll overdrive the LED a lot, but it should take it without smoking it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the flashaholic equivalent of putting and old car up on blocks, draining the oil, and putting a brick on the accelerator pedal until it siezes?

Should we lay bets on what happens and when?

greenLED

Flashaholic
In a sense... maybe ;) The LED should be fine for a long time; it's not like it'll smoke within minutes or a few hours. There's quite a few people with this mod and I haven't heard of the LED dying.

I'm a cautious dude, I resistor all my mods. :)

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used that soli mod for a few mth's. It did dim some, but didn't blow. It just has runtime "issues" :laughing: I went to a Li ion 3.7v AAA batt resistored
with a CS nichia and dig it. I have a soft spot (most likely in my cranium)
for soli's dispite owning a coupla ARC-p's, CMG sonics, and Peaks.VDG

xdanx

Enlightened
I turned it on about 10 minutes ago and still nothing but it is getting rather warm. I will keep you posted.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to buy those grab bags of leds at radio shack for 2 bucks and take a 9 volt battery and watch them explode. Regardless of the original color of the led it turns deep red and poof. Some turned so quickly I was unable to catch the color before it vanished in thin air.

xdanx

Enlightened
I ran the LED off of the A23 12 volt for 1 hour with no problems. I am going to radioshack soon and I will find out how it handles 10 button cells. Muwhahaha!

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Tape the LED onto the end of a wood stick, separate the LED legs slightly, and hold the opposite end of the stick and plug the LED legs into an AC outlet. :lolsign:

H_Alpha

Newly Enlightened
I never could figure out why this forum separates LED and incan.......:shrug:

I have run LEDs in incan and possibly even HID mode ---- bright!!
Isn't that why they call them flashlights?

Seriously, you might want to avoid breathing too much of the fumes it puts off, and don't do it in an explosive atmosphere.
Also, don't let on to the hotwire folks about this:devil:

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
There was a thing on the Screen Savers a couple of years back where they destroyed a LED! I have it on tape. I'll see if I can transfer it to video.