Bad colds this season?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just something that's been on my mind. Anyone else get really bad colds this winter? Lots of folks I know have gotten ones with lingering effects. I'm still getting over one--seems like it's over after 1.5 weeks but I have a bad raspy cough. Doesn't seem to be developing into anything serious.

Anyone else?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I went through the same thing two years ago, and to a lesser extent last year. I really have no idea what's behind it. Perhaps stronger bugs exist due to overuse of antibiotics. In one case I was bedridden for about three weeks. My mom saw a doctor for the same thing, he prescribed some medicine, and she didn't get better any quicker than I did (all I took was aspirin and over the counter flu medicine). Time is really the only cure for something like this.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I had a very mild cold a few months ago. I started taking zinc gluconate right away and it seemed to help. It only lasted a couple of days which is unusual for me.

I also run a humidifier in the bedroom at night. Ever since I started doing that a few years ago, winter colds have been few and far between.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, its been nasty this year. i just got over my second one this season. Both were unusually long duration events. Everything in the last 2 years seems to be a 2 week+ thing for me. Sets a man to thinking about what could really happen if H5N1 or other virus went pandemic. Not a pleasant prospect, but one many of us will see eventually. :eek:oo:

LaserFreak

Enlightened
A buddy of mine and I both had a nasty cold that lasted for at least 6 weeks. Basically, it was the cough that lasted so long...all the other symptoms were short lived. It came back again for a 2 week stay and hasn't been back....yet.

I used to get sick only once a year, if that...now I get sick at least once every couple of months. It sucks getting older.........doctors say I'm healthy as can be though, so who knows what the deal is.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rarly get colds, but I am now on day 8 of the worst darn coughing fit I have ever had. Getting slowly better, but it was unlike any other cold I have had.
Fortunatly we live in times where we have some great medication to rely on, once you get the right combination for your cold it is just a matter of time..
Daytime, was NeoCitran cold and cough, these guys got this down pat, I detest that lemon stuff they had, it has gotten MUCH better.
Nighttime is Calmylin w/ codeine, good night Irene..

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'd say so. Took me 6 weeks to get over that "bad" cough and "stickler" that's been in my throat. Got tired of taking in short breaths.

Good Health To You!— :wave:

LaserFreak

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
I rarly get colds, but I am now on day 8 of the worst darn coughing fit I have ever had. Getting slowly better, but it was unlike any other cold I have had.
Fortunatly we live in times where we have some great medication to rely on, once you get the right combination for your cold it is just a matter of time..
Daytime, was NeoCitran cold and cough, these guys got this down pat, I detest that lemon stuff they had, it has gotten MUCH better.
Nighttime is Calmylin w/ codeine, good night Irene..

MMMMM.....codeine....

I love that stuff...works great! Makes me feel like I'm not even sick!

metalhed

Enlightened
Colds, no....flu, yes.

Back in October, I was sick for most of two weeks due to the flu. Lost a total of ten pounds from not eating very well. Developed double-vision for several days due to weakness in my eye muscles...not fun at all.

Needless to say, my attitude towards flu shots has changed completely. :laughing:

And to all that suffer this season...

Get Well Soon!!! :party:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
certainly a LOT of colds going around this season. I've had 3 or 4 separate viruses this year already, but none have been very serious. Last year I had a 6 week cough that was bad enough that I was doing inhaled steroids to make it through the night.

Viruses dont get made worse by antibiotics, antibiotics dont do anything to them at all. So the fact that bacteria are learning the trick to avoiding them doesn't have any impact on virus things like colds and flu at all. Except in so much that people ask their docs for antibiotics when they have a cold where they wont do anything except help to turn the bacteria in them into resistant ones...

I never got sick until I had kids :) Now I'm sick all winter right along with them. But this too shall pass when they go off to college in another 14 or 15 years...

And I can't take codeine at all. It's about the only drug that I know I'm allergic to. Makes me projectile vomit in the most spectacular way, ugg, I'd rather have the cough...

Even that worst cough and cold I had last year around this time was nothing compared to the flu though. I had the real flu last about 1992 or 3 and I spent 2 days unable to leave my bathroom and several more unwilling to get out of bed. The tile floor felt so good and cool. Even if the flu doesn't kill you, it makes you wish you were dead... Anything else is just a cold virus and youll beat it.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
As your particular group of people age, more and more of them are going to take longer to throw off any particular illness.
Add:
1. The "something bad is going around *this* year" which I've heard for most of my life. (65)
2. People rarely talk abount mild colds they get over rapidly.

and you get what you are experiencing.

Want to cut down dramitically on the colds you catch?
It's easy, wash your hands frequently and after *every* contact you have with anybody else.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got hit twice this winter, both times harder than usual for me. My wife got hit 3 times, and affected her much more than usual.

cy

Flashaholic
just now getting over a really bad cough. it's last over 10 days now. started with a nasty cold, took me out for 3 days. then the lingering cough started...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Want to cut down dramitically on the colds you catch?
It's easy, wash your hands frequently and after *every* contact you have with anybody else.

This is actually the best advise you can get. That and dont let people who are sick sneeze in your face :green: !!

I was reading an article the other day that was quoting the lady who is credited with inventing that Airborn herbal concoction where she said almost exactly the same thing :D :laughing: So save your money, and wash your hands!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
So far, knock on head, I've lucked out this winter. Could be the mild weather we've been having has helped, or else I've just managed to avoid the sickos.

Geoff

jtice

Flashaholic
heh, funny you should mention it.... :ironic:

Mine started yesturday, and is alot worse today. :green:
My boss, and my dad had colds since last week, so I guess I was doomed.

Must be a bad one, I usually never get sick, I go years without getting anything.
My throat is fine, so far, but im stuffed up, and runny nosed ! grrrrrrr

~John

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually catch anything airborne, especially colds. Strangely enough I've made it through this entire season so far and not had one hint of a cold (although my work sounds like a TB ward right now). I did have a nasty 48 hour flu last week but that's pretty much been it.

On the other hand my wife (super-immuno woman) has had a cold that is really dragging out on her.

I've become a real believer in the Purell hand sanitizer that sits on my desk!!!

Last edited: