Streamlight Pro Poly 4AA luxeon 2 stage?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone made one of these yet?

Is it possible?

I'm thinking of getting one of these lights, but would like it even more if I could mod it to a 2 stage and since I don't have one, I have no idea how the switch is made.

Can a 2 stage switch be installed in place of the original switch?

Last edited:

Everett

Newly Enlightened
This is a good idea. I disassembled mine to look. here is the switch module:
sl.JPG

it doesn't want to come apart without uncrimping those two brass rings, and i'm not willing to go that far on my SL. anyone else?

Everett said:
This is a good idea. I disassembled mine to look. here is the switch module:
sl.JPG

it doesn't want to come apart without uncrimping those two brass rings, and i'm not willing to go that far on my SL. anyone else?

No, it ain't gonna work. If you try to increase resistance, the regulator will try to pull more current through it.

If you add a high enough resistor to bring the voltage way out of regulator's ability to keep regulated, then you can get it very dim though.

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
What he said. If you mod anything on the 'battery side' in a regulated light you won't change anything til the light drops out of regulation. All you will do is increase the drain on the batteries, meaning by 2-stage modding it you might end up with SHORTER battery life than with the light at full power (higher battery current pulled as voltage drops = lots of power burned up in the resistor).

You'd be better off with a difuser over the bezel for a low output flood mode, and removing the diffuser for high output spot mode. In the case of the SLPPLux this would be more useful than a switched low output mode anyhow, as usually when looking for a low output light it is flood that is needed more than throw.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course your intent is to drop it out of regulation for a dimmer light. Choosing the right resistor will determine the brightness of the dim level. And with the right resistor for a dimmer level, you WILL be decreasing current draw from the battery no matter how hard the regulation circuit tries to make up for it. This is how the McE2s tailcap switches work for the Aleph series and on the L4 etc. and it is a perfectly standard way of achieving 2 brightness levels.

Now, whether a 2 stage resistor solution can actually be designed for the SL PP4AA Lux is another thing entirely.....

83Venture

Enlightened
Maybe the Underwater Kinetics: UK 4AA ZOOM eLED will work for you? It has a Hi/Low switch and an adjustible focus from 13 to 21 degrees if I remember correctly. It says it's a 2 watt output so it is probabily an under driven 3 watt. It is Safety rated Class 1 Div 2. They make tough lights. About $40.00.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize this thing was regulated- I was thinking it was direct drive.:ohgeez::stupid:

I'll probably wind up adding it to my humble collection. The diffuser idea sounds like what I'll probably use if I need it for close up work.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.