• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Pacific Lens in Glass " Clear " Beta Test

DallasA

Enlightened
Hello Everyone:

Just a quick note that I have received the first samples of the glass Lens I had made up. Because I have limited samples and I need a few for some other things I am working on. I have pre selected 5 of the Beta Testers to receive them. Sorry guys I wish I had enough to go to each of you, but will keep it mind when the first run is in.

For now just a heads up to the following people to keep a look out in there mail from me.

Kryosphinx
Don Redondo
tsihcaz
inq2000
Freedom1955

I will be sending out the package sometime on Friday when I get a free moment.

Have a Great week!

MJ

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Pacific have a removeable bezel or is the lens built into the light?

Grubbster

Enlightened
To get the lens out of the Pacific, you have to unscrew the LE. There is no bezel ring. The lens comes out from the back of the bezel.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
I got my lenses today!

Pics

The LE:

Inside the head:

The lenses, plastic on left, glass on right:

Again, to see thickness: I noticed is that the plastic lens had a very rough edge.

Beamshots!!

What I did, in order to see the clarity of the lens, was to shine a bright light at the lens and take a pic of the reflection.

Plastic lens reflection

Glass lens reflection: sorry, it's kinda blurry, but you can tell it's dimmer than the plastic reflection=it's clearer.

Here's the set up:

All in all, I'd highly reccommend the new glass lens. It's much better cut, thicker, durable (I dropped it on granite and unsuccessfully tried to scratch it with a knife), and clearer.

Notes:
The Pacific head is VERY hard to open/close without the proper tools. Trying without the proper tools results in failure. I tried using pliers, which just dented the brass, which is really soft. The second attempt, which finally worked, involved my fingers, the result you can see below:
http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reflsetup7ak.jpg
Those durned sharp threads....

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Kryo,
I'll wait until the glass lens, AA and 2AAA body becomes available for the Pacific and order them all at once. There is something about glass lens and extra output on such a small light that I like.

tsihcaz

Newly Enlightened
I also received my glass lens yesterday.

After reading Kyro's post, I was a little worried as to how easily the bezel would come apart. I ended up just taking the o-ring off, then holding the outside part in one hand, and using a cresent wrench in the other, it easily turned loose. I thought i'd need a vise and all.

After getting it apart, the operation is fairly simple, take out old stuff, put in new. On the old plastic lens, mine too was kindof rough on the outer edges, I assume thats from the way they're cut out of the sheet. No trace of the rough edge can be seen when the light is together, so it does not seem to matter. The glass lens on the otherhand is very nice, crystal clear and a little thicker with perfect edges.

One question would be: Is Peak going to supply the light with the glass lens installed, or will they keep it as an add on only?

The reason I ask is that some people may find it difficult to get the right tools to take apart, or may have problems getting the new lens in without putting fingerprints on it, or they may injure themselves in the process(not trying to poke fun here, Kyro) as the nature of the small parts can lead to some sharp edges.

I couldn't tell you if its any brighter, not to my eyes at least, but it is deffinately a cool option. I'm sure the glass won't get scratched as easily and will be durable enough for me.

All in all I think this is a good addition to the light and I've really come to like how Peak is trying to make this a multi-feature, user changeable light. I think most everyone could find a battery/size or lens combination that would work well for them. I'm excited to see what MJ has up her sleeve next.

tsi

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
I think it would be usefull, given how scratch/dent prone the brass is, if the lens kit included a small brass/fiber reinforced nylon wrench, of the appropriate size. Brass/FRN wouldn't scratch any of the metals offered, and would make for a much more complete kit; if the user was interested in field changability, rather than having to carry something more appropriate to working on an engine, they could have a compact and purpose specific tool.

Just a thought.

--Aaron

DallasA

Enlightened
The ones that have been sent out to the testers are just Clear. The point for this is for the durability of the glass it self.

I am working on different lens at a time and the AR is one that I am spending a lot of time on testing different aspects. Just to give you an idea here are several things I am running comparisons on try to come up with the best combinations for this one.

The type of AR to be used ( Several to choose from ):
Wavelength region:
Reflection loss per surface:
Durability specifications:
Coating both sides or just one side ( Minor ):

During my research on this I have learned a lot so for now I am trying several different combinations to come up with the best option that will meet all the perimeters that I am looking for. I have also another idea that I am waiting to find out if it can be done to add to my design. If my theory is correct in want I can possibly do with this then I am going to be one very happy person and taking AR Lens to a new level.

I have a background in glass so I was able to narrow my search down to the specs in the glass I was looking for. The problem that I was having was looking to be able to have it meet the specs. Problem solved. The next was to increase the durability at the specified thickness , Problem solved. I have spent sometime putting the samples I have through different conditions, but I felt that having some other people give me there feed back would help me finalize the material itself.

Once this part is completed ( I am 95% satisfied ) then I can finish expanding on the different types of Lens that I want to make with it.

Some notes for the testers:

The lens is coming to you in wrapped paper tissue. Because these are bare glass you might want to use a blow dryer or ( air gun if you have one ) to blow of any loose tissue material. I will be having plastic cover protectors made for the final product.

For those that have not figured it out yet. The Head is designed with an outer bezel that unscrews. Remove the head from the body and you will see to flats opposite of one another that was designed for easy capability of unscrewing the " lens Cap" The Lens Removes/and installs from the back side of the Lens Cap. This was also design to remove the " dimples " people were seeing from the "lens nut" that is use on the Kino and CR123 model Luxeon's.

Have a Great Day Guys & Thanks for helping me out!

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
Mr. Blue said:
any updates?

At this time there is no new news on this. I am sorry but I have put this project on hold while I work on a few other things. The main one being that I have bought a new business and my free time is spent getting it to were it needs to be.

I have someone in mind of taking over my research and work and showing them how and were they can have them made. I have not spoke to this person yet but this might happen very soon. I will let you guys know as soon as I have some more information to share.

MJ