U2 JUST FREAGIN DIED!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS CRAP, 280+$$$$$$ AND IT CRAPS OUT...... AND WHAT TOPS IT OFF IS YEAH SUREFIRE WILL FIX IT BUT I HAVE TO PAY TO SEND IT BACK TO THEM...... SPENDING THIS MUCH ON A FLASHLIGHT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY TO SEND THEM THERE FAULTY CRAP BACK:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :mad: ITS NOT THE TAILCAP I ALREADY CHECKED THE BULB JUST UP AND WEN'T OUT DURING NORMAL OPERATION WITH """"SUREFIRES BATTERIES IN THEM""""" man i need a smoke cya all later just thought id post this for anyone considering surefire because they "think" the warranty is good. man was i a sucked in fool 280$ and 4-8 weeks later we'll find out.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
Ouch. Not to bag on Surefire, but posts like this make me think that Mag is doing something right. How many of us have ancient Maglites that are still going strong? I'll raise my hand.

nc987

Enlightened
and many of us have Surefires from forever ago that are going strong.

anyone considering surefire because they "think" the warranty is good.

How is this experience a reflection of their warranty? SureFires warranties are very very good.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
So is the concensus that SF's QC has declined recently? Or are there just some troublesome models out right now?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrdctaylor said:
Ouch. Not to bag on Surefire, but posts like this make me think that Mag is doing something right. How many of us have ancient Maglites that are still going strong? I'll raise my hand.

NOT ME! First of all I dont own any m@gs anymore, and the ones I previousely owned all burnt out.... BAD BULBs....

Too bad about your U2. I wouldnt judge Surefire though, there will always be one or two faulty lights.

-David

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. This is the first time I heard of a U2 LED "blowing" out like this. Most likely an isolated case. Lightmeup, it sucks....yes. But you will soon see Surefire's warranty in action. Although it may take a month, you will get a new U2 with no questions asked. Not all flashlight manufacturers will do that for you.

Surefires are known to last a long time.

:thumbsup: WP

nc987 said:
and many of us have Surefires from forever ago that are going strong.

How is this experience a reflection of their warranty? SureFires warranties are very very good.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, have you contacted Surefire?? Or are you saying that because you had one bad experience that it must all be bad..

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone doesn't think SF's quality control has been going downhill I don't know what they're reading. The attention to detail in most of the "new tech" lights seems iffy, which is appalling considering the money people are laying out for these flashlights. Their warranty is great, but there's no reason to have to use it for a brand new light. I can't stand this arguement.

Incan SFs with the normal swich can't stop working unless the bulb blows. It's impossible given the design. They're probably the most simple lights out there (of course the prices don't reflect that, but I digress.) I love them. I'll be interested to see ten years from now how the new lights like the U2, A2, and Kroma hold up.

As much as I don't like the company itself, I have to give Mag a lot of credit for the D/C cell lights. They make more flashlights than any other "premium" company, don't charge much, and they almost never fail. If you've ever taken one apart you'll realize how complicated the switch and bulb tower is, so it's quite an accomplishment. I've only heard a few stories of ones that came defective or failed outside of 24/7/365 LEO use.

greenLED

Flashaholic
new batts?
the little tabs like p'noodle suggested?
tighten tailcap and head firmly?
did the clicky got jammed in the off position? (you said you checked, but...)

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
I don't think there are other flashlights out there that do what the U2 does, in terms of complexity it is the first. Would I buy a U2? the jury would be out. As many good things posted about the U2 there are just as many posts written negatively. I own 3 SF's and never hadda problem.

Numbers

Enlightened
Hey Moderator
I had a problem with a SF clickie the other day and you Immediatly moved my post to Cheers and Jeers (which I dont agree with) so what's the deal?

Lightmeup,
Agreed SF QC does not seem to be what it should be!

carrot

Flashaholic
The problem with the U2 Ultra is that, second to the K2 Kroma, it's the most complicated light that Surefire makes. In fact, with LEDs Surefire is pretty much treading new ground, compared to their experience with incandescent. I have no doubt that Surefire extensively tested the U2 prototypes for durability and reliability and that the lights passed with flying colors. Obviously in the case of the U2 their QC is lacking, perhaps because the design of the U2 makes for lower tolerances than in other lights, which is certainly a product of its complexity. I think that we will see the high-tech Surefire lights last over a decade; those that fail within a few hours of usage are just bad eggs that QC mistakenly let through.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems a lot of U2's are having problems... Has anyone had problems with the other LED SF lights?

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
Seems a lot of U2's are having problems... Has anyone had problems with the other LED SF lights?
I love my E2L, squarish type long throw beam, click on, click off, 6 hours on 2 123's, by my side all the time.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't just talking about lights breaking down, I mean the other stuff too. Seems like a lot of complaints of dust or fingerprints inside reflectors or lenses, clickie switches breaking, bad beams, etc.

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
to answer some questions

1. yes i called them
2. throughouly checked all connections
3. tested with brand new surefire batteries good exp date
4. tail clicky switch is fine i fixed that two days after recieving it.
5. why i don't like surefires warranty is because spending 280 on flashlight that is deffective i should not be the one having to spend money to send it to them so they can fix something that should have been right the first time for that much. its bad enough that i a simpleton had to fix there tail clicky.

let me know if i missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.