Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Right

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • Ambidextrous (very rare - be honest)

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Statistically, I think about 13% of men and 10% of women are left handed (in UK at least). Ratios differ in other populations, e.g. inmates of insane asylums, and people have tried to relate the populations types with the left hand ratios. We have a kind of interesting population here, so I thought we could see how many of us are left handed. More.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic but I wonder how many know that a flashlight is a left handed tool if you are right handed and a right handed tool if you are left handed.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB said:
Off topic but I wonder how many know that a flashlight is a left handed tool if you are right handed and a right handed tool if you are left handed.
Yeah, kind of like the old calvary pistol holsters which were for left hand draw. You were supposed to shoot people with your left hand while you were whacking them with the saber in your right hand.

Fast reply...

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Also, an armed police officer would have his/her primary set of handcuffs on the right side of the duty belt, and would holster the pistol (after the suspect is compliant) before taking the cuffs in the right hand. This avoids being within reaching distance of the officer's drawn weapon, should the suspect decide to resist. Flashlight could remain in the left hand throughout the encounter.

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
I consider me a Lefty, I do shoot a handgun righthanded and back in the days I could fight I would switch stances at times if I thought it would help.
No doubt I am leftfooted.
Topper

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Not only am I right handed, but I am near worthless with my left.

I had such a crummy night bowling Monday I've REALLY considered trying a left hand delivery. Even if I gutter, it wouldn't be much worse than Monday night!!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I had such a crummy night bowling Monday I've REALLY considered trying a left hand delivery. Even if I gutter, it wouldn't be much worse than Monday night!!!
I thought the whole point of bowling was to avoid hitting the thingys. Man, I've been playing it wrong for years! :green: ;)
:laughing:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Statistically, I think about 13% of men and 10% of women are left handed (in UK at least).

Really? I would say it is the other way around here, that there are more women than men who are left-handed here. At least in my school, left-handed girls are very over represented, and one-egg twins as well for some reason. :thinking:

Have you noticed if higher-educated (is it politically correct to use that term?) in the UK tend to have a larger share of left-handed?

If it would actually be the opposite relation between left-handed men and women between two countries, it would be quite interesting to find out why.

Anyhow, I'm right-handed (and dumb :p ).

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I selected RH and I have always been RH but I can be either. About 10-12 years ago I had a bad injury with a sheet metal stud on my right hand, I RH was useless for 5 months. During that time I got very good at being LH, writing was not quite as good as with my good RH but everything elso was about the same. Still to this day I can switch hands for most tasks.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I'm left handed (I write left handed, that's my criteria), but I do some things right handed. I shoot pistol and rifle mainly right handed, but can use left when required, I fence right handed. My aim with a hammer is better left handed, and I prefer to use a pocket knife left handed. Some things in my job and daily life I have to do with either hand, due to accessibility.

One odd thing I have noticed concerns archery (I used to so this a lot). A left handed archer draws the string with the left hand, but the aiming/controlling hand is the right, like shooting pistol right handed, strange?

I also use a computer mouse right handed (I have a Microsoft trackball with lots of buttons that really can't be used left handed anyway!).

:touche:

dim

Enlightened
I'm right handed but my left side, hand, arm, foot and leg, is quit functional. High skill activities such as writing is done with my right hand but middle and lower skill activities such as using the mouse are done with either hand. I've even taught myself to use my left hand and side for certain activities to leave my right hand and side available for more difficult, important or urgent tasks.

Do you, both, write and use the mouse with the same hand? Quite inefficient use of resources (hands), time and space. Try, if you will, to use the mouse with your weak side. Sure, it will take a modicum of effort, but after a few days it becomes a no brainer and will be as natural as using your strong hand.

dim

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I voted left-handed, but I use scissors and can openers with my right hand while I write with my left hand.
If I attempt to write with my right hand, it comes out backward and inverted - the writing can be read in a mirror. :sick2:

Topper

Flashaholic*
The_LED_Museum said:
I voted left-handed, but I use scissors and can openers with my right hand while I write with my left hand.
If I attempt to write with my right hand, it comes out backward and inverted - the writing can be read in a mirror. :sick2:

You don't have a choice (unless you seek out a Lefty store) on the can openers and scissors. I inherited a pair of left handed scissors when my Granny (Grandmother if Granny is not a word anyone is used to) past. I could not use them at all as I used right handed scissors for years it just did not work for me.
Topper

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not completely Ambidextrous, I cannot do everything equally well with either hand, but depending on the task I am sometimes left handed and sometimes right handed. In general if it's something requiring fine control, like writing, I tend to be left handed. If it's something that requires strength, like sports, I tend to be right handed.

What would you call that, Wishy-Washyrous?

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I am an odd combination.

I write Left Handed, though to an extent I can write Right Handed.

In Baseball I Bat Left Handed yet Field Right Handed.

In Golf I play Right Handed but Putt Left Handed, although I can also Putt well Right Handed.

I throw a Football Right Handed.

In my best sport, Tennis, I play Right Handed. But I hit primarily two hands off of both sides and have solid Ground Strokes.

So I guess technically I am Left Handed, but it is tough to say.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess I could be considered semi-ambidextrous.

Although I write with the left hand, I prefer to use a knife and a gun with the right hand.

And with arcade video games that use a rotary control (such as Tempest), I have been known to use the rotary control with both the left and right hands. This control knob is designed to be used with the right hand, but I use a cross-arm position to use the knob with my left hand.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm right handed but I work around a lot of creative people who are left handed. Something about lefties thinking with the right side of the brain and vice-versa, I think.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Almost similar to Sixpointone here—

Right Hand:
Write
Pitch (Base Ball)
Shoot (Long Gun, SMG, Pistol)
Parry
Brush Cutting In (Paint)
Rolling (Paint)
Spray Painting
Sanding

Left Hand:
Bat
Drive (Golf)
Putt (Golf)
Racket Ball
Tennis Racket
Ping Pong
Pool Stick
Shoot (Long Gun, SMG, Pistol)
Parry
Brush Cutting In (Paint)
Rolling (Paint)
Spray Painting
Sanding
Shaving

List goes on and on. . .But that's just an glimpse—

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm usually left-handed but use scissors with my right hand (because they don't cut properly in the left). I don't know if being able to write backwards or upside-down (with my left hand) should be counted as ambidextrous but it's certainly an ability most people don't seem to have. I do switch between hands easily for many simpler tasks, such as painting, but definitely require my left for skills requiring finer ability.

Interesting that the results here so far are over 40% lefties.