E1L vs. Fenix?

Chris201W

Enlightened
How does the E1L + F04 beamshaper compare in performance (overall output, beampattern, etc) to the Fenix L1P? I'm looking for a replacement for my L1P since the tiny, bright hotspot drives me insane for indoor use. I figure the E1L + F04 will give me the choice between throw for longer range and soft flood for indoor/closeup use.

Edit: oops, wrong forum... :whistle: I guess this should go under LED...

Last edited:

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
The E1L is brighter, has a tighter spot with almost no side spill and throws much further.

carrot

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
I didn't know it has such a tiny hotspot. Any sidespill at all?
Yep, but it throws well, and except for very close ranges (<6 inches) it's fairly usable. With daylight-adjusted eyes walking around in my basement with it, I get a sense of tunnel-vision, but at night-time the spillbeam is bright enough.

xdanx

Enlightened
Ok you're kind of in the wrong forum. But I would go with the Fenix L1P for the batteries and cost.

Chris201W

Enlightened
So the E1L throws better than the Fenix without the F04 beamshaper, and it has a brighter flood type beam with the beamshaper? (if this is true, it sounds like the perfect light for my needs).

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris201W said:
How does the E1L + F04 beamshaper compare in performance (overall output, beampattern, etc) to the Fenix L1P? I'm looking for a replacement for my L1P since the tiny, bright hotspot drives me insane for indoor use. I figure the E1L + F04 will give me the choice between throw for longer range and soft flood for indoor/closeup use.

Edit: oops, wrong forum... :whistle: I guess this should go under LED...

I love my E1L and especially when used with the F04 = wall of light, and barely no hotspot. Very nice for indoor use. This setup will totally transform the E1L into a flood beam light and with coverage much brighter than the fenix could spill.
The E1L - F04 = throw. A quite impressive throw much better than the fenix.

:poke:Since you have already got the fenix, you MUST get the E1L. Hey man its a 3watt SUREFIRE light :devil:

however I still use the fenix more often since the running cost is cheaper.

Chris201W

Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
I love my E1L and especially when used with the F04 = wall of light, and barely no hotspot. Very nice for indoor use. This setup will totally transform the E1L into a flood beam light and with coverage much brighter than the fenix could spill.

:poke:Since you have already got the fenix, you MUST get the E1L. Hey man its a 3watt SUREFIRE light :devil:

Thanks! This definately sounds like the setup i've been looking for. I like the fit and finish and overall output of the Fenix, it's just that tiny hotspot is frustrating because it takes away from the wide, dim spillbeam. It's strange, but I would almost like the Fenix more if the hotspot didn't exist, if it was just an even circle of light the same brightness as the spillbeam...

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
GhostReaction said:

The E1L runs nicely on rechargeable 123s. Thats about all I use in mine. And with the beamshaper and a two stage tailswitch added on it is a fantasticallly flexible, very high quality light.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for a "hotspotless" light go for CR2 ion as well.
Its very tiny and its all flood.

Chris201W said:
Thanks! This definately sounds like the setup i've been looking for. I like the fit and finish and overall output of the Fenix, it's just that tiny hotspot is frustrating because it takes away from the wide, dim spillbeam. It's strange, but I would almost like the Fenix more if the hotspot didn't exist, if it was just an even circle of light the same brightness as the spillbeam...

Chris201W

Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
If you are looking for a "hotspotless" light go for CR2 ion as well.
Its very tiny and its all flood.

I'd rather have a light that can both throw and flood well. The problem with trying to do that at the same time (which the Fenix does) is that, as I said before, the hotspot for throw takes away from the flood (spillbeam appears dimmer compared to hotspot).

I good throwing light w/beamshaper seems to be the way to go. Adjustable focus would be another option, but that rarely goes over well...

xdanx

Enlightened
I would also suggest that you buy a E1E/E1L body and a KL4 head from lighthound. Great flood, power, and size.(but poor battery life)