KT5 Turbohead for 8AX, Is it worth it?

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I have both the 8AX and 8Nx, the latter being my every day working light, used for up to 2 hours at a time (changing battery pack as required). The 8AX that I bought first has sat in a drawer for quite some time, and I was thinking of getting a KT5 turbohead for it. The lamp will still be the same rating (110 lumen), but I was wondering if anyone had hands on experience of this setup, and could recommend for or against the purchase of the KT5??

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm sure that the beam would be more "concentrated" for that "throwing" capability. Other than that—would like to know as much as you do.

—Enjoy!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Nigel,

I have the KT5 on my 8NX and love it for those times when you want to reach out a bit.

My 8NX at about 8 feet has a bright area of about 3 feet in diameter with a center hot spot of around 8 inches. Changing to the KT5 gives me a hot spot of about 18 inches. By focusing the hot spot into about half the diameter, you end up with more throw.

In order to do this, you loose some spill, but the turbo head is not designed as a flood attachment... :)

I do have one complaint with the KT5. The lamp assembly will not stay inside the head when you take it off of the flashlight. It wants to fall out. I end up putting a piece of tape over the end when I am not using it.

Other than that, I really enjoy mine.

Tom

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KT5 is so under-represented. I have one for my 8NX and it really shines. Sure it adds bulk but the difference it makes to the beam when you're outside at night is quite impressive.

However, I have many flashlights with higher output such as the M3T, M4, M6, 10X, 9NT so in my scheme of things it's output quantity is not great and therefore I don't use it very much.

Al

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
I got a KT5 not too long ago, and I did not like it. Sure, the the beam threw farther, but it was too focused and not useful for my purposes. I sold mine.

ON

Cranial nerve #2 is the optic nerve