Surefire M6 and FM27 fit question.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a FM27 for my M6-HA (one w/o teeth) and it doesn't fit as well as my other Surefire flip up covers. One thing is that the release lever sticks out a bit from the cap and tends to hang on things. Another problem is that the catch on the cap itself is a bear to engage.

I have a number of other Surefire lights with this style cover but the FM27 is the only one that bothers me. If there is anyone out there that has one of these and can tell me if this is normal I'd appreciate it. It's aggravating enough that I'm thinking of modding it, how I don't know.

TIA,
-LT

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF FM2x series seem a bit too loose on turboheads for my liking. I like the snug fit of their other FMxx series for other sized bezels. I've had one filter that I had to shave a little bit off the tab for it to close and open properly with one finger. They seem to work better after breaking them in a little too. For the fit, I might consider some electrical tape or something on the rubber boot for a snugger fit on the bezel. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
SF FM2x series seem a bit too loose on turboheads for my liking. I like the snug fit of their other FMxx series for other sized bezels. I've had one filter that I had to shave a little bit off the tab for it to close and open properly with one finger. They seem to work better after breaking them in a little too. For the fit, I might consider some electical tape or something on the rubber boot for a snugger fit on the bezel. Good luck! :)
For something designed to fit a $300 flashlight, I'd expect more than having to resort to electrical tape to make something fit properly :(

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting. . .The one I have is VERY SNUG! And as you've mentioned that the "catch" is a Grizzly to clasp, but I did manage to do so. Then again, Your Methods May Vary.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FM37s I have are much better fit and function compared to the FM27. The release lever fits closer to the rest of the cover and the open/close catch can be manipulated with one hand though it does require some effort. I've never had it accidentally open in a bag or whatever.

The FM27 release lever catches on webbing, clothes, anything loose. It hasn't caught so bad that I couldn't shake it loose before it releases but does slow the deployment of the light, something that does not make me happy.

Do you suppose I could heat the lever and bend it closer to the cover body w/o messing up the tensile strength of the plastic?

-LT