Help Choosing a HID

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I think I am about ready to jump on this bandwagon. From what I gather a good handheld HID is about the best search light one can get. Tell me if I am wrong. I have a few questions though.

Is heat an issue?
What is the best power source (readily available)?
What is a typical runtime?
What type of throw, and output can be expected from a 35-50w?
Who do you think makes the best production HID? ( I am not really into mods, although there are a lot of good modders here)

Keep in mind I am not on a SF Beast budget here, and these are broad based questions involving a lot of congecture, but your help is apreciated.

Thanks

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bravo25,

I will post some answers based on my own personal opinions and observations

Is heat an issue?
This probably depends on the size of the light, power of the light, what you mean by heat being an issue, etc?

What is the best power source (readily available)?
Once again this depends on numerous factors
Are you going to make something or buy a light?
If you have a tight budget the best power source is the one you can afford.:D

What is a typical runtime?
Run times will vary depending on the power of the lights and batteries used.
At least an hour may be a safe guess.
The Costco HID gets around 80+ minutes according to numerous CPF members.
The Amondotech Illuminator prototype I tested got 60 minutes the two times I tested it. In theory it's runtime should be the same as the Costco and Harbor Freight HID's
Several of the more expensive lights will get 100+ minutes and even have interchangeable batteries.

What type of throw, and output can be expected from a 35-50w?
See the Superlights III shootout or the Barn Burner Shootout.
The tree is 150 yards away. The rocks above the Tree are between 500-600 yards away.
Who do you think makes the best production HID? ( I am not really into mods, although there are a lot of good modders here)

My personal opinion here will be in three areas
Best currrent production.
Polarion hands down if you want an illuminating device rather then a signaling device.
It also costs around $950

Best Bang for Buck Higher end light
I really like the X900 and it's rechargeable battery packs, adjustable beam, adjustable head, etc.
I have been told if one is careful they can be found in the $350-$400 range.

Best Bang for Buck Economy HID
Amondotech Illuminator 35 watt HID Searchlight.
It is not available yet but will be $120 for the first two weeks it is available and $129 after that.
It does not throw quite as far as the Harbor Frieght HID but is 4lbs lighter, much smaller and has a wider beam that illuninates a larger area better.
It does not light as wide an area as the Polarion or X990, but will out throw either of them.
It is still not light at 8 lbs 11oz, but it is very well balanced and easy to carry for it's weight.

These are just my opinions and I welcome any posts agreeing or disagreeing with my suggestions.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

PS. I am willing to bet the Helios will be out of your stated price range, but it will probably knock the Polarion of the top spot for me.
I think it's price will be closer to a beast then a Polarion.
This is just my guess. :wave:

Last edited:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of good advice from mtbkndad, if you need good runtime and switchable batteries, then you want the Polarion. There is one for sale here, a very good deal if you asks me, too bad I already own one.

It will be really interesting to see what happens with the Helios. When it comes to the price, I think it will be less than what many fear. I quote Ken J. Good: "Price....More than a mini-mag and probably less than any other HID in this performance category."
That should mean it will probably be cheaper than Polarion, but will it be cheaper than X990??
If they are interested in selling many lights, and not only to elite Military forces, then they better keep the price down.

Sigbjoern

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Vector spotlight that was 6v rechargeable, with a 3 stage switch. I have gutted it, and planned on putting a 12v hologen bulb in it, and run it from an external battery pack to reduce weight iin the hand. However I am now wondering if it would be posible to mount a HID in the reflector.

I would still want to run it on a 12v rechargeable battery that can be carried over the shoulder. I could probably even construct some type of case that would use readily available D cells or such. This way I could always have a readily available power supply. Batterry packs, vehicle, etc...

Any thoughts? Where can I find out more about HID bulbs?
I know this isn't what I started the post with, but now my mind is wandering, and it is far to small a thing to let out on it's own! :laughing:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo25,

If the reflector in the Vector is aluminum you should be fine.
You just need to find a way to keep the bulb in position.
Using an external power supply will also give you room for the ballast.
The ballast is also very important to factor into your design considerations.
You need to purchase a bulb and ballast to complete the mod you are referring to.

Here is where things get a littly tricky for a mod.
The cheapest 4200K bulb and ballast combo I know of would be to buy the Amondotech Illuminator and use those components.
Although if you are going to to that you may as well just put a lighter battery into it.
:D. That will of course void your 1 year warranty. :crackup:

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave: