6P to 12P mod

Newly Enlightened
I had been thinking of this simple mod for a little while. I have a SF 6P with the rechargable option, 6R. I always thought I could drop 4 123's and have a 12 volt light. I just needed a 12 V bulb. I was going to attempt to find a 12 V bi pin bulb and fit it (pot it?) into an old blown SF bulb.

Then this morning I looked at the cabelas ad and saw they had a 12 XPG flashlight. Looks like a SF knockoff. I looked at the spare bulb and it sure looks like a SF right down to the little sticker on it.

I could be wrong but does SF even make a 12v lamp that would fit my 6P? I don't think so. I'm sure someone has some experiance with the Cabelas flashlights and would know if the lamps fit the same.

Keep in mind I'm pretty new to this modding thing. I only "modified" my Magcharger to the MC60. This migh be a small step up from that. I don't want to use the word modify and offend you guy that are doing amazing things with your lights. I gotta start somewhere. Plus the main purpose of my SF 6R is as a back up for police work. For now I need to keep it simple, reliable, and easy to convert back to the other configurations.

Thinking ahead though, how hot would a bulb using 4 CR123's get and could the 6P handle that? Any ideas where I could get a bulb for that?

Thanks for all your help.

ofcjim40

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am also a cop and a newbie here too, so I will throw in my .01 cent...lol. Check out the Digilight T12. I just bought one for duty. It takes 4-123's and is 12v and I am very impressed. The lamp is rated at 227 lumens. But you can part one together pretty cheap. You can buy the lamp directly from Digilight. You can also buy just the body from Blackrifles.com for $35 and the 12v Lamp for $17. The Surefire head and tailcap will screw on just fine. Digilight and Surefire P-series have interchangeable parts. But, in my opinion, the Digilight tailcap is far better. You can go mon. on, or with a firm press, it will click for constant on. I know when I am tossing a car it is a pain in the butt to keep the button depressed as you are digging thru all the nooks. So, this isn't really "a mod", more of a piece together. But I think it is a winning combo. I, like you, can't afford to have a piece of equipment crap out and roll the dice with altering something that shouldn't. So I'm sure this can be "modded" for cheaper, but when your life can depend on it, popping $55 buck to get a real blaizing light is a bargain IMHO. Be safe.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I did see some posts on the Digilight after I posted this question. And to thing I was on to something new. I'm going to have to get more creative. I was only planning to use this 12V light for the occasional WOW factor. Maybe after I try it out I'll use it more. But that's a lot of batteries. They are cheap in buld but I'm so used to the rechargables.
Anyway I'll be placing and order for the lamp soon. Thanks.

ofcjim40

Newly Enlightened
"Maybe after I try it out I'll use it more. But that's a lot of batteries. They are cheap in buld but I'm so used to the rechargables."

I'll tell you what I did, and I think I now have a setup I really like. First off, I am super-happy I have the T12 on my belt. Pulled over an SUV with 6 gangbangers in it last night that lumped a kid with a 9 iron. As we boxed them in, of course I had my spotlight and takedowns on them, but as I approached on foot, I was shining the T12 directly in thier faces, I could see them flinching! I just got in today the Li-ion battery and charger from Digilight and the 9v lamp (claims 175 lumen) that will fit into my Surefire 6P. So far it looks promising. I will play with it on duty tonight. So I have the T12 on my belt for those cases I need to blind or look through heavy tint. I also have the rechargeable 6P on my belt for general use. The 4 batt's in the T12 are supposed to have 80 min runtime so this will last quite long in occasional use, and the new "rechargeable" 6P, well, I will use it to my hearts content. Just something to think about.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
ofcjim40 said:
But, in my opinion, the Digilight tailcap is far better. You can go mon. on, or with a firm press, it will click for constant on. I, like you, can't afford to have a piece of equipment crap out and roll the dice with altering something that shouldn't.
My Digilight clickie failed after about three months. It still works in momentary mode, but when you click it, nothing happens, even though it still sounds as though it's just been clicked on

ofcjim40

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Paul for the info. I have used Surefire products for about 8 years and have been very pleased. This is my first foray into the "you mean other people make lights besides Surefire" route :laughing: So only time will tell how well Digilight stuff holds up. I went with the Digilight Li-ion battery setup for my 6P (as I wrote above). What sold me over the G&P 90 setup was that I cared more about lumens over runtime. Well, I played with it tonight and I must say this setup is a blazer! I was amazed by the light In my own very informal and subjective "tests" i ran tonight, this setup was far brighter than:
-6P with the P61 bulb
-Surefire 8NX
-Dept. issue Regular Stinger (this is a POS that is used by everyone in the squad car. It is well worn and NOT Streamlight's fault it is beat to hell.)
I forgot to bring my 9P with P91 bulb. I will have to see how it compares.

Latest posts