Announcing the flashlight/rechargeable battery compatibility chart.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Edit 7/28/09: The original wiki site for this chart was lost, but has been revived here thanks to CPF member MrHappy. (Thanks!) Mdocd has also created a number of extremely informative and useful pages on rechargeable compatibility since then: I'd highly recommend his Lithium Ion/Incandescent Guide +Compatibility chart and Rechargeable Compatibility chart/guide for popular flashlights! threads. Enjoy!

One of the more common questions on CPF is "will rechargeable batteries work in my flashlight?" CPF experts kindly answer these questions, but the discussion thread usually disappears in just a few days; when another person asks about the same flashlight a few weeks later, we go through the whole process again. It would be helpful to have something more permanent - a chart that lists, once and for all, which rechargeables will or won't work with a given flashlight.

To that end, I've started a new resource: the CPF wiki flashlight/rechargeable battery compatibility chart.

The goal is simple: provide a single, permanent page where we can all share our collective knowledge by posting which flashlights will or won't take rechargeables. (Hopefully this will also save us from answering the same questions over and over again!). Since it's a wiki, it's easy to edit - and anyone can contribute.

The chart will start simple and hopefully grow as more people contribute. For now, the chart lists: flashlight make and model, whether it works with rechargeables (and if so, which ones), and the *source* of that knowledge. (This is important so that users can review the original discussion thread to learn more.)

The beauty of this chart is that we gain the collective knowledge of CPF. Anyone can contribute - if you've tested your flashlight with rechargeables, add it to the chart! (In fact, I created the first few entries simply by searching CPF for discussions about some of the most commonly used lights.). Hopefully in the future, we can just refer the rechargeable questions to the wiki!

The chart is available at http://www.wiki.tjtech.org/index.php/The_Rechargeable_Battery_Compatibility_Chart. Please help make it a valuable and permanent CPF resource!

I'm a relative newbie to CPF and this is my first real attempt to contribute to the site. All suggestions, comments, and criticisms are welcomed. Hope this helps!

- FITP

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone please click on the link in post #1 and become aware of this potentially usefull chart that we can ALL take part in.

Fellow CPF'er "FlashInThePan" is trying to make our hobby easier. It is much appreciated.

Thanks very much .:)

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Thanks for the free bump, TooManyMcGizmos! I'm excited to see that people are already starting to add their lights. Go CPF!

EDIT: I've gotten a few PMs from people who wanted to add info but didn't know how to edit the Wiki. Anyone can feel free to email me their test results, and I'll be happy to post the info for them. Thanks for your contributions, everyone!

- FITP

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello FlashInThePan,

I believe the U2 can also be used with unprotected 18650 cells. I seem to remember that its circuit shuts down just under 3.0 volts.

I use mine that way all the time, but recharge often so I don't bump into the low voltage cut off.

I have not been able to find the thread that discusses this, but seem to remember that it is there somewhere.

Tom

mdocod

Flashaholic
i contributed to it... hopefully I did it right. added

|-
| Ultrafire 9V, Digilight 9V, G&P 9V
| 2x Protected 17500. note that unprotected cells could be used, but risk of overdischarge is very real, top off batteries regularly and do not allow to dim.
| various threads

to it.. seems to have come up right

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Silverfox: Thanks! I'll add it to the list.

Mdocod: Thanks for the post - your addition was great! It's really great to see people adding to the chart. =) The only addition I'd make is adding the exact thread (if you know it offhand) where you found that info. Knowing the exact CPF thread where this was discussed would help in case anyone wants to read more about it. I'll try to dig it up, unless you happen to know where you saw it! The 9V assemblies are really popular, and I'm sure many people will want to use rechargeables with `em - great choice of additions, mdocod!

LuxLuthor: I'm checking it out now and will add to the chart soon!

- FITP

mdocod

Flashaholic
using the 17500s in the G&P type flashlights has been discussed in an enourmous number of threads... Paul_In_Maryland really paved the way for many of us... If I can find a spacific thread that seems to be most appropriot i'll add it..

mdocod

Flashaholic
noticed someone added "tradedigit" G&P ... which is an ultrafire(already listed), tradedigit does not make a flashlight... do we leave entried like this in there? (to cover all the bases?)

chrwe

Newly Enlightened
mdocod said:
noticed someone added "tradedigit" G&P ... which is an ultrafire(already listed), tradedigit does not make a flashlight... do we leave entried like this in there? (to cover all the bases?)
I wasn't sure if it's the same LA, therefore I gave it another list entry. Feel free to remove or combine it at will.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
This table should save me the need to routinely answer PMs. Thanks! When the G&P/Surefire compatibility Wiki is up and populated, I'll feel as needed as the Maytag repairman.

I've just added several entries for Wolf Eyes 3.7V and 9V lamps (old and new) G&P 3.6V and 9V lamps, and Digilight 9V and 12V lamps.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
<grin> I wouldn't worry about becoming obsolute, Paul; as long as manufacturers keep making new bulbs, I'm pretty sure you'll be the "go-to" guy for their testing. You seem to have tested nearly every bulb out there!

But thank you for the kind words - I'm just happy the wiki turned out to be useful!

Folks, incredible job with this chart - I count twenty six new entries in the first 3 days alone! There is a *wealth* of information there. I am truly amazed and impressed. Thank you all for contributing!

- FITP

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added the following...

| Pelican M1 2310 LED (with body clickie, not the new M1 soon to be released)
| 1x R123A (LIR123A) Protected 3.6V 750mAh from Dae at qualitychinagoods.com. Only turned on for a few minutes at a time. Looked about the same output as on primaries, but no heat issues when on for several minutes. Called Pelican, but they didn't know anything about the driver.
| Personal use by CPFer [http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?userid=12627 JSR]
|-
| Aurora 1.5W Nichia Jupiter LED
| 1x R123A (LIR123A) Protected 3.6V 750mAh from Dae at qualitychinagoods.com. Only turned on for a few minutes at a time.
| Personal use by CPFer [http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?userid=12627 JSR]
|-
| Regulated V2 (from qualitychinagoods.com or lighthound.com)
| 1x R123A (LIR123A) Protected 3.6V 750mAh from Dae at qualitychinagoods.com. Specifically designed for R123As. Output is fairly low on a primary.
|-
| Nuwai Q3 (TM-303X)
| 1x R123A (LIR123A) Protected 3.6V 750mAh from Dae at qualitychinagoods.com. Warms up, but seems to be fine.
| Personal use by CPFer [http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?userid=12627 JSR] and used by many CPFers.

HTH.