costco thor longer run times/smaller bulb

szki272

Newly Enlightened
I reciently bought the costco 15m thor. (I also have a 3m spotlight) The 3m is plenty of light. I would like to get the thor to run longer even if it has a lower light out put. My thought was to put a smaller bulb in it but dont know if it will realy change the run time that much, or be worth it.

Would a 60/55 give me about 2x the run time or am I thinking about this wrong. It seems like everyone is tring to get more light with less/ same runtime out of these.

Thanks

metalhed

Enlightened
I swapped the 130 watt bulb in my Thor with a 60/55 watt replacement. She's still very bright and yes, the runtime just about doubles (to almost one hour.)

While I like all that throw, for me the light is better suited as a work or area light, than a spotlight for search (primarily because of the short runtime with the stock bulb.) IMHO, the lower wattage makes the light more practical due to the increased runtime.

If I can find a suitable diffuser for this light, it will make an even better, portable worklight.

That's if I don't find a HID kit to install in it. :devil:

mdocod

Flashaholic
pick out a good quality 60/55W (like a GE nighthalk) and you won't loose all that much brightness, but will gain lots of runtime, and will get whiter light.

igabo

Enlightened
metalhed said:
If I can find a suitable diffuser for this light, it will make an even better, portable worklight.

Believe it or not, but Glad Press and Seal wrap on the lens does a GREAT job of diffusing light on the Thor. I'll try to get some beamshots of it tomorrow. Cheers too the guy who discovered that (sorry I can't remember your name).