GPS Mapping and Cell Phone combined

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed this today on the REI website. It's the first time I've seen GPS mapping inside a cell phone. I'd like to see this marriage expand with other cellular carriers and phones.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

*Retired*
LowBat said:
It's still Srint/Nextel. I'd like to see other carriers have phone options too.

I'm not sure what the $9.99/mn fee is for. GPS service is covered by our taxes, and once you buy a GPS receiver and mapping software, there shouldn't be any additional cost.

Garmin Mobile Lite

4.99/month

The phone cannot store Garmin's six million points of interest and alot more stuff.

9.99/month if you want voice prompting as you drive.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
Garmin Mobile Lite

4.99/month

The phone cannot store Garmin's six million points of interest and alot more stuff.

9.99/month if you want voice prompting as you drive.
Well, as long as it holds a decent amount of map data and works like other GPS receivers, I can't see the need to pay a monthly service charge. I don't need 6 million points of interest for $9.99/mn, but maybe others do.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
Well, as long as it holds a decent amount of map data and works like other GPS receivers, I can't see the need to pay a monthly service charge. I don't need 6 million points of interest for $9.99/mn, but maybe others do.

Nearly all cell phone programs available from the carrier have a monthly charge rather than a one time purchase price like computer software, though it's usually less than 10 bucks. Sprint gives you a $5/month credit for software, which I use for this program. It's well worth the cost when you consider other dedicated GPS devices cost $500+.